Cadets 2017

10 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Anyone know if the corps be in full altar boy costiforms tomorrow for the kick-off?

The first night the Cadets attempted to stream from Ada they covered the uniforms (love Joe).  There are layers and I actually like the starting costumes with the robe visual.  Even the guard has three layers of costumes to present so I don't think you'll even remember, as you put it, the alter boy costumes.  You will just have to see how it all functions within a show.  Believe me if the Cadets got anything right it is with the costumes.  Now props are a different issue!  Everyone keeps forgetting its the men in the green shirts that will evaluate this show and all the rest of the shows come Thursday.  Then we will know just where everyone stands.  We have all seen many of the corps now on YouTube, I'm a bit more optimistic about the 2017 Cadets than others; if anyone is due for a good year its them.  Good luck Cadets this summer.

Fan of the Arts   

6 minutes ago, Fan of the Arts said:

The first night the Cadets attempted to stream from Ada they covered the uniforms (love Joe).  There are layers and I actually like the starting costumes with the robe visual.  Even the guard has three layers of costumes to present so I don't think you'll even remember, as you put it, the alter boy costumes.  You will just have to see how it all functions within a show.  Believe me if the Cadets got anything right it is with the costumes.  Now props are a different issue!  Everyone keeps forgetting its the men in the green shirts that will evaluate this show and all the rest of the shows come Thursday.  Then we will know just where everyone stands.  We have all seen many of the corps now on YouTube, I'm a bit more optimistic about the 2017 Cadets than others; if anyone is due for a good year its them.  Good luck Cadets this summer.

Fan of the Arts   

Yeah, I saw the new attire the other night.  I'm just wondering if they're all going to be ready for the kick-off tomorrow.  3 or 4 different looks is a lot of material to fit/sew/alter/etc.  Not to mention the changing/transitions that will take place in the actual show will probably need rehearsed.

My guess is probably "no-go-for-the-show", but just looking for confirmation.

Edited by chaddyt

42 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Your consistently negative putdowns without any positive contributions ever live up to your screen name thoroughly.

I'm positive this show won't win a single caption. That's the most positive I can be. Other than that it's going to be wonderful. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Yeah, I saw the new attire the other night.  I'm just wondering if they're all going to be ready for the kick-off tomorrow.  3 or 4 different looks is a lot of material to fit/sew/alter/etc.  Not to mention the changing/transitions that will take place in the actual show will probably need rehearsed.

My guess is probably "no-go-for-the-show", but just looking for confirmation.

The question really is will the huge props be ready? Which is where the costume changes take place, behind these huge stained glass props.  The costumes are ready and the Cadets have a sewing crew  to make sure the costumes are ready.

Fan of the Arts

40 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Not sure about the guard costumes, but based upon last nights run through, all three uniforms will likely be used by the musicians.

Edit:  And as to the props, Mr. Hopkins mentioned in a Facebook Live feed yesterday that the company that produces them is having to re-run the production because of some errors the first time.  I believe he said, though, that they will probably use them anyway even with the errors, until the replacements come in.

Edited by Eleran

9 hours ago, Fan of the Arts said:

Already have them 3 points behind Cavies and Crown--geesh!  Then thank God you're not one of the men in green judging in Indy.

i wasn't all that impressed with what I saw from Cavies and still don't with Crown.  But as you have said George, we'll see come Thursday night.

Fan of the Arts

At least 3 points behind Crown. Honestly, I wonder if people are paying attention. We know what a great design in today's DCI is (see Bluecoats, see Crown, see Vanguard, see Devils). The 2017 Cadets isn't even close to being a good design. It's not interesting musically, the drill is a mess (to be frank), the theme doesn't cut it, and the uniforms are awful. Honestly, take the blinders off. You will all see. They are likely going to place 8-10. This is not a show that is going to be successful competitively in June, July or August. As long as you drink the Koolaid nothing is going to change in Allentown, and something HAS to change.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I'm positive this show won't win a single caption. That's the most positive I can be. Other than that it's going to be wonderful. 

Actually I think the battery has a shot taking a caption. They're pretty good!

Fan of the Arts

4 minutes ago, Fan of the Arts said:

Actually I think the battery has a shot taking a caption. They're pretty good!

Fan of the Arts

Not with this design, they will not even be top 3 in any caption. Last year was proof of that. AGAIN, in today's DCI design is what counts (unfortunately). Do you really think the 2016 Cavaliers were more talented than the 2016 Cadets. No way, no day. Yet, at finals, the Cavies beat the Cadets in all except two sub-captions (visual proficiency and music analysis). A less talent corps was more successful because of design. The defending brass champion finished 6th. Design, design, design.

Edited by henry7184