Cadets 2017

So with no new info from any other posters, and YEA admin. heading north to Rochester, I guess the leaks i learned are all that there is:

Aungst spent the weekend hogging the Tastykakes, Salas debated the nutrional value of Scrapple, and Drs. Shanefield, Winek, and Earnhart led group discussions after each gave counter presentations on why the proper sandwich title is Sub, or is it Grinder or is it Hero, as compared to Philly's favorite, the Hoagie.

• Like 1

what do you think?

Sorry, busy getting back to classes.

Overall, it's definitely not who I would envision being at The Cadets necessarily. It's a very interesting mixture of a few Cadets staffers from days past (Percussion for example, and Marc if he's back), and people from other corps who I wouldn't have necessarily come to mind. That might be a very good thing to mix things up, people have been calling for change and they're sure as hell getting it. Might be a great way to start fresh. I am interested in how they gel and mix with eachother, as much as people have been wanting to say Bostons staff is great but might not gel, I think that risk is higher with Cadets just based solely on the fact of how different the new staff members backgrounds are in regard to their diverse backgrounds of corps they've all worked with in recent years.

Percussion - Aungst is definitely one of the huge voices from the 1st half of the 2000s, they were monsters from 2000 - 2005 under his leadership, then took a bit of a dip from 2006 - 2009 before McNutt took over. He had some REALLY great lines at Blue Stars, and Carolina Crown was slowly and steadily picking up up steam with him there. Interested in how he approaches coming back to Cadets. Looking at the techs and stuff, I don't think this was too much of a loss, even though they have had one of the best lines every year, even if they were let down by staging big time two years.

Brass - This one is a bit of a question mark for me. Some very GOOD stuff at Cavaliers and some VERY not good stuff at Cavaliers, and the approach there is not something I'd normally associate with The Cadets if I'm being honest. Gino and his crew definitely produced some incredible brass lines, as recently as 2015 winning the Ott, so I feel like this is a loss. We will see, could be great, just not what I pictured them picking up.

Visual - The visual staff seems VERY good to me, some great work at other corps in recent years.

Program/Artistic - Feel like Jeremy Earnhart was lackluster at Phantom, but apparently there were shots being called from above him that were limiting him. Salas, hmm. Not relaly too sure what to think. Some great aesthetic and overall visual look choices at Vanguard in 2013 and 2016, and some that were....interesting.

Overall - Very Interesting

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

Your answer then leads me to wonder what qualifies you to critique those picked to teach music or movement?

So, one must be qualified to perform a role to critique someone with that role?

What about someone who wants to praise someone with that role? Both critique and praise are just negative and positive opinions, respectively. But nobody is concern about qualifications when one gives praise. That's interesting.

• Like 1

What about someone who wants to praise someone with that role? Both critique and praise are just negative and positive opinions, respectively. But nobody is concern about qualifications when one gives praise. That's interesting.

You make a good point and raise an interesting question. I don't see it as a yes/no series of questions, or only black/white but with much grey/gray.

Some proport to #### and diss people chosen for jobs even before the condemned have begun the role. But the slayers admit that they themselves could not fulfill the role. It seems that the slayers in the condemnation would be bringing others down to their own level of inability.

However, to be in awe of another's ability may not be an exact parallel. It is admitting that the other is greater than thou and in that one is expressing both humility and giving recognition of the other's talent.

To a degree when one disses or damns people chosen for jobs even before the condemned have begun the role, it is similar to asking if you stop beating your wife, even if you have never beaten your wife. The damage of imagery of the words cannot be withdrawn, even if later one agrees one made a mistake. Notice how many are condemned and falsely accused on the front pages of the daily media; but when found innocent and/or falsely accused, the apologies are buried between the obits and classifieds. On the internet the damage can be even worse, like a pebble thrown into a pool and the waves constantly expanding and bouncing back and forth.

Edited by xandandl

Those who can, do. Those who can't teach, and criticize those who do.

Interesting concept:

"You are NOT qualified to praise that performance. I, < I >, am qualified to praise that performance. But your opinion is NOT validated simply because I, < I >, agree with it. Because you are NOT qualified to hold such an opinion!"

That seems different than: "You are NOT qualified to praise that performance. I, < I >, am qualified to judge that performance and I say it was horrible! Your opinion is not valid because my qualified opinion is different than yours! Go away!"

For some reason Tom Aungst and Sal Salas are making me happy. Sal with give a mature oversight to visual and guard while Tom will help push the percussion line forward. I'm a bit skeptical on the brass with Jay AND Gino gone but with the talent Cadets attract, I'm still hoping the improvement in visual, guard and design will off set any weakness in brass which honestly I don't anticipate. When was the last time Cadets brass sucked?

• Like 1

. When was the last time Cadets brass sucked?

1991 ? That could be the year....who knows. It was the last time they finished below 5th, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO