Cadets 2017

Just watched 2006. Holy 5hit that's horrible haha

If that show did ANYTHING good, it gave the Bluecoats inspiration for the stunt at the end of their 2014 show. (See the end of the drum break)

And also, I really liked the ballad, but that's just me. I know at least a few people on here that dislike it as much as the rest of the show.

• Like 1

White Rabbit would have made the Stoned theme much clearer.

• Like 1

Absolutely he is a lightening rod. However some of the vitriol and hatred is really over the top personal

There's also the fact that for many many years Cadets (&BD) were "hated" for the success

Then you have a strong personality that can just rub people the wrong way

Plus the changes he has pushed - which some dislike

While you're at it, don't forget to mention the G7 debacle and how he drove the effort.

"Lightening rod" doesn't really represent well that series of events, does it?

So is anyone gonna talk about the huge amount of staff pickups instead of arguing about Hopkins? And I'm not talking "eh" or "awesome", but real discussion where you back your "eh" or "awesome" up.

I'm interested in what people think.

Tommy - Awesome, welcome home. Don't expect percussion to miss a beat and maybe the ensemble will even be better!

Sal - A proven commodity on some level. Not sure how he fits with the Cadet aesthetic, or I guess whether the aesthetic even exists any more.

Dr. Earnhart - Good and truly puzzled over this one. Just utterly perplexed. As I wrote earlier, we have such a great design talent pool from our alumni and then we go get a guy who was the "music coordinator" during some very rough Phantom years. Weird.

Drew Shanefield - Not a fan of his books, whatsoever. Never have been.

Michael Terry - He's a nice guy and I know for a fact wasn't the first choice, so I wish him luck. Seriously. Taking Gino's chair is certain to be tough.

Brass guys - Assuming these are Drew's guys, so ???

Marching guys - No idea. Again, we have the deepest bench in the world and we end up with some guys from outside.

Overall: I have no idea what we're going for.

Alright I have a question that may come across as disrespectful, but I don't mean in that way! In regards to 1984, what was so revolutionary about the Z-Pull? How/why was it different than Zingali's other drill?

I wasn't in the room, but I remember reading about Zingali playing with string on a table top. Push it here, pull it there. Make it ebb and flow in a way as much opposite "block band" as was possible.

The style became known as "curvilinear design", and the Zingali Z-Pull was its best representation at the time. Regardless of what's come after, those of us who saw it live still marvel at the beauty of it when we saw it.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

Just watched 2006. Holy ####that's horrible haha

The ballad is incredible IMO. Rest of show didn't really work out. I saw it early without all the clutter and props and uniforms and fixes they put in.. it was an extremely talented corps and pretty good before all that.

• Like 1

Tommy - Awesome, welcome home. Don't expect percussion to miss a beat and maybe the ensemble will even be better!

Sal - A proven commodity on some level. Not sure how he fits with the Cadet aesthetic, or I guess whether the aesthetic even exists any more.

Dr. Earnhart - Good and truly puzzled over this one. Just utterly perplexed. As I wrote earlier, we have such a great design talent pool from our alumni and then we go get a guy who was the "music coordinator" during some very rough Phantom years. Weird.

Drew Shanefield - Not a fan of his books, whatsoever. Never have been.

Michael Terry - He's a nice guy and I know for a fact wasn't the first choice, so I wish him luck. Seriously. Taking Gino's chair is certain to be tough.

Brass guys - Assuming these are Drew's guys, so ???

Marching guys - No idea. Again, we have the deepest bench in the world and we end up with some guys from outside.

Overall: I have no idea what we're going for.

Without getting specific I agree with much of this. I guess I'm hoping for the best. Drums should be good obviously the big question mark are the visual techs and who is writing the drill? Heard writer for guard / choreography is also changing

The ballad is incredible IMO. Rest of show didn't really work out. I saw it early without all the clutter and props and uniforms and fixes they put in.. it was an extremely talented corps and pretty good before all that.

Here is an early season recording of some it. This is when White Rabbit was longer. The recording doesn't have the singer in it (unless she just isn't part of the recording).

I agree about the ballad. It's kind of haunting (not included in this clip).

https://youtu.be/5LCbFyQsPmA

Edited by Fish