Carolina Crown 2017

42 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Seriously. Reminds me of Christopher Walken in the legendary Blue Oyster Cult SNL skit -- "I put on my pants one leg at a time just like you. Except... then I go out and make gold records!"

The medals and title and caption wins--remember, that's just since 2009.

Crown put the drum corps world on notice in 2007. In the 11 seasons since, there hasn't been one show where you can convincingly say "this show wasn't well constructed and/or performed." I guess 2011 and 2014 were "down years" but they were still very good and entertaining as hell.

You are so right!    Crown has been dominant the last 10 years.   Something to be really proud of.  

Funny you mention, 2011 "Rach" and 2014 "OOTW" as they are 2 of my all time favorites.   Loved the rock show. The music was so much fun.  And who can ever forget Herbert?  '14?  Has anyone ever played a more challenging brass book?   Crown took so much heat for the trampolines.  But, geez, at least I knew what the heck they were doing with them.  That's more than I could say for many corps' props.  And besides, anyone ever try playing a brass instrument while moving up and down on a trampoline? 

Most any corps would be happy to have such "down" years!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, iCanHazDcp said:

As far as the guard staff goes, I want to give a shout out to both the organisation and the new staff for handling this transition. 

The heart of the former staff has been there since 2003 (I should know since I marched the beginning years of Doodoo's reign) and for that to change last year, was a hard pill to swallow. Transitions will always be rough especially after coming right after a well-deserved caption win, and expectations to stay at that same level with a new staff is a nearly impossible feat

With that said: 

I think it was a great solution for the organisation to hire Joey as the caption supervisor. 

- Having a talented person who was a student of Michael creates an evolution of the Crown guard aesthetic, while creating adding a new perspective.

- Having a young and talented person take over is a risk, but if successful, I hope Joey stays and continues to rebuild the program with his already unique writing. It's time for the next generation of Townsends, Sages, Shaprios, Chandlers! 

- Is the guard rougher this year compared to past seasons? Yes, but man are they flying in drill and spinning an incredibly difficult book. Hats off to the team for going all out in a transition year. I love that you guys aren't losing the heart of what makes Crown guard so special - taking lots of risks. 

Anyway, I know the guard has been a major talking point on this forum in a mostly negative sense, so I just wanted to say that the new staff are doing a great job for the first year and once the marching members get comfortable with the crazy drill and new style I hope they clean clean clean! They are already vastly improved since the preview, now they just have to add that Crown confidence to the performance. 

Karma cap and we're all rooting for you Crown Guard!  

As someone that has been nailing the guard to a cross (no pun intended Cadets) I will tell you that I agree that Joey and his team are doing an amazing job. He is the exactly what the group needed. Let's see what they do from here to the end of the season before making any judgements. There is no doubt that group is working extremely hard with noticeable improvement every night. 

1 hour ago, iCanHazDcp said:

As far as the guard staff goes, I want to give a shout out to both the organisation and the new staff for handling this transition. 

The heart of the former staff has been there since 2003 (I should know since I marched the beginning years of Doodoo's reign) and for that to change last year, was a hard pill to swallow. Transitions will always be rough especially after coming right after a well-deserved caption win, and expectations to stay at that same level with a new staff is a nearly impossible feat

With that said: 

I think it was a great solution for the organisation to hire Joey as the caption supervisor. 

- Having a talented person who was a student of Michael creates an evolution of the Crown guard aesthetic, while creating adding a new perspective.

- Having a young and talented person take over is a risk, but if successful, I hope Joey stays and continues to rebuild the program with his already unique writing. It's time for the next generation of Townsends, Sages, Shaprios, Chandlers! 

- Is the guard rougher this year compared to past seasons? Yes, but man are they flying in drill and spinning an incredibly difficult book. Hats off to the team for going all out in a transition year. I love that you guys aren't losing the heart of what makes Crown guard so special - taking lots of risks. 

Anyway, I know the guard has been a major talking point on this forum in a mostly negative sense, so I just wanted to say that the new staff are doing a great job for the first year and once the marching members get comfortable with the crazy drill and new style I hope they clean clean clean! They are already vastly improved since the preview, now they just have to add that Crown confidence to the performance. 

Karma cap and we're all rooting for you Crown Guard!  

Definitely would agree as well! Being a alumn of the guard it is incredibly difficult to go from one design staff to another and from one style to another, but they are holding their own much more than people expected. Joey and the staff is a fresh new perspective on crownguard but still keeping with that excellence that is expected from the members. 

• Like 1

I'm really starting to understand, appreciate and love this show now that more layers have been added.  The "deconstruction" of the field really needs to be viewed from up high to actually see it.  

One question...what's the significance of the football helmet?  The obvious answer would be because drum corps is on a football field...but is there another reason or symbolism behind it? Am I missing something?  I just found it very randomly placed in the show (which perhaps is the point). 

I never thought I'd ever say this other than during indoor season, but MORE tarps.  The one tarp they have looks great and blends well with the field, but if you really want to deconstruct the field get several more of them.  Each one could have a different yard line design.  I think it would be REALLY cool to cover the yard numbers with tarps that show distorted/upside down/crooked numbers instead.  Just my ideas.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

You are so right!    Crown has been dominant the last 10 years.   Something to be really proud of.  

Funny you mention, 2011 "Rach" and 2014 "OOTW" as they are 2 of my all time favorites.   Loved the rock show. The music was so much fun.  And who can ever forget Herbert?  '14?  Has anyone ever played a more challenging brass book?   Crown took so much heat for the trampolines.  But, geez, at least I knew what the heck they were doing with them.  That's more than I could say for many corps' props.  And besides, anyone ever try playing a brass instrument while moving up and down on a trampoline? 

Most any corps would be happy to have such "down" years!

Agreed. Crown really has its act together. I'm not in love with this show or 2016 BUT they perform the hell out of their shows. I really am shocked they don't easily win VP and brass every show. And kudos for fixing the one weak link in captions.... percussion. They're up there with the best. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UKSuperman said:

Brass patch in the synth. They're not using mics. Noticed it at the NKY rehearsal. One of the synth guys played a chord during a water break and it was brass. 

Alright, I just know I heard something supplementing the brass line in those last huge chords.  (THEY DON'T NEED IT!!!)

What are those 4 or so mics on the sideline for?  There are four that are higher than the rest they use in the rest of the show that sit in the same spot.  

34 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Alright, I just know I heard something supplementing the brass line in those last huge chords.  (THEY DON'T NEED IT!!!)

What are those 4 or so mics on the sideline for?  There are four that are higher than the rest they use in the rest of the show that sit in the same spot.  

They are there for the singer to help her with timing since there is so much going on musically all over the field (this information is from someone inside of Crown so I am taking their word for it).  They are not there to enhance the sound of the brass line for the audience.  Because, as you said, they don't need it.  

Edited by CubFan
  • Like 2

The only thing I've noticed is some synth in the closer that could probably be turned down. In 3 live viewings I didn't notice ANY amplification for the brass.

23 minutes ago, DasTuba said:

The only thing I've noticed is some synth in the closer that could probably be turned down. In 3 live viewings I didn't notice ANY amplification for the brass.

Yeah I was 99.9% sure they still weren't amping the brass. Just not a philosophy that has caught on to the Crown staff...yet anyways. I had no idea what the mics were for though.

Always learning something...