Baby steps.... return the recaps to the public that has had them for over 40 years prior to the implementation of this unneeded, draconian measure. Then... we can begin to entertain this novel and intriguing idea from the OP here. But start with the return of the published recaps.

Accountable to who? You? Me? Again why? As a member of the "public" I have no right to this. The Drums Corps do. The public having it would only be to satisfy nosiness and spur arguments, not sensible debate. Which again is not my business. If it was something that really interested me, I'd go back to teaching. From a corps POV I'd be telling all the armchair quarterbacks to shut the he## up. IMO the publics "need to know...everything" has gotten out of hand. Having a recap after the shows, like there was, is sufficient.

I would contend that "the public" has no right to any scores at all! But that's the point of Bruckner's idea. If you make any of it public, make it all public.

Transparency is a wonderful antiseptic, is it not?

It's not a matter of a "right", it's a matter of Can DCI make money off the idea and return more money to the corps as a result. Would that prompt the staff to play nice with the judges, too? Maybe not, but they'd still make a little money off the idea.

• Like 2

If one of the goals of redacted recaps was to encourage more free-wheeling opinions and numbers from judges, rather than slotted ranking and rating, this year's summer indicates it was a success. There was more movement on a day to day, week to week basis than at any time since the 80s, all of which increased fan involvement and helped lead to summer of very good sales at the major regional contests.

More ticket sales and DVD sales, better revenues in the DCI coffers, more money coming back to the corps through their annual split. And THAT is the whole purpose of DCI in the first place - to generate money for the corps.

Nothing of any value would be created by going to transparency, whereas it appears muted recaps helped generate fan intensity and revenue. Not much of a battle there when it comes to figuring out which makes more sense

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

The only people the judges need to be accountable and transparent to are the corps. The corps get to see the sheets. The corps get to hear the tapes.

DCI isn't us. DCI is the corps. Since it is the DCI members who vote on these rules, it is they who decide what the public has access to or not.

Why do you think they need to be transparent to you, as a spectator of the activity? From the original note, it sounds like you are trying to discover some hidden controversy or something.

I truly am a spectator (I believe the OP is a staff member). I think DCI should be make the judging more transparent to me because I pay money to attend shows, watch streams, listen to recordings, etc. I obviously enjoy the performances for themselves, but I also enjoy reading the recaps, looking for trends in scoring, and trying to understand why the judges reach the decisions that they do.

As you say, DCI is the corps. The corps can obviously choose a system where only insiders understand anything about the adjudication, and outsiders are told "we pick who we pick, like it or lump it". I think that's a pretty stupid attitude to have towards your paying audience, but I certainly can't stop them if they want to go that way.

If one of the goals of redacted recaps was to encourage more free-wheeling opinions and numbers from judges, rather than slotted ranking and rating, this year's summer indicates it was a success. There was more movement on a day to day, week to week basis than at any time since the 80s, all of which increased fan involvement and helped lead to summer of very good sales at the major regional contests.

More ticket sales and DVD sales, better revenues in the DCI coffers, more money coming back to the corps through their annual split. And THAT is the whole purpose of DCI in the first place - to generate money for the corps.

Nothing of any value would be created by going to transparency.

Gee, I thought it was the quality of the corps that generated the increased fan involvement and increased fan attendance.

If you are correct, maybe we should go all the way and only reveal the final score, with no combined captions. That should mean another 10% increase in attendance and revenue.

• Like 1

Nothing of any value would be created by going to transparency, whereas it appears muted recaps helped generate fan intensity and revenue. Not much of a battle there when it comes to figuring out which makes more sense

if the variation was a reflection of performances on the field, i would agree.

unfortunately most of the variation was simply due to judges who had no clue how to use the sheets and wrote down a number that was a full box (or more) "off".

fwiw I support hiding recaps during finals week. it's frustrating as all get out for fans but it does make it hard for a finals judge to write down exactly the right number.

I truly am a spectator (I believe the OP is a staff member). I think DCI should be make the judging more transparent to me because I pay money to attend shows, watch streams, listen to recordings, etc. I obviously enjoy the performances for themselves, but I also enjoy reading the recaps, looking for trends in scoring, and trying to understand why the judges reach the decisions that they do.

As you say, DCI is the corps. The corps can obviously choose a system where only insiders understand anything about the adjudication, and outsiders are told "we pick who we pick, like it or lump it". I think that's a pretty stupid attitude to have towards your paying audience, but I certainly can't stop them if they want to go that way.

That all equates to "nice to know" and "I would enjoy it". But, usually when a public demands transparency, there is a more concrete reason for it.

If the OP (and others) think there is some conspiracy afoot between corps staff and judges that public needs to know about, then that would be a concrete reason.

FWIW, I enjoy reading detailed recaps, but it's not up to me to say DCI MUST give them to me, or else. As long as they give them to the staff of the corps, that's fine with me.

The lack of recaps didn't really impact my enjoyment of the season. I'm going through them now. My going through them earlier wouldn't have changed a single thing about the outcome of the season. The people who really NEEDED to see them, saw them.