Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

We've arrived at Indy! Great view from our JW room of both the Oil Can and the statehouse, and a glass of Maker's in hand!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 7

I'll be there tomorrow night to help you with that Maker's...

• Like 2

On 8/7/2017 at 11:56 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

I love this show! I wish the judges did too, but the final ordinal outcome in Indy will not affect how I feel about it. Bloooooooo!

Probably Blue Devils' fans were saying similar things about their shows of, say, 1988 and 1992. Like this offering from Bluecoats, those were both audience-pleasers, but not top with the judges.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Probably Blue Devils' fans were saying similar things about their shows of, say, 1988 and 1992. Like this offering from Bluecoats, those were both audience-pleasers, but not top with the judges.

I've really come around to Bluecoats show.  Its kind of a 2015 Cadets scenario though, where we have a show that just hasn't evolved to a place the judges have been able to reward.  I really hope they can break into the medals.  I know for sure I cant wait to see it.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, 1988 is one of my favorite BD shows! 

• Like 2

I believe the judges totally do not understand the choreography and are focused in their little box mind mentality seeing all three stages as a single visual ensemble and expecting everyone to be in unison because that's the way it's always been. Frankly Bloo has as much GE if not more than any other corps. Regardless of opinions you don't get those ovations because you look or sound like a_s. Bloo's show is so entertaining and that's refreshing in this cookie cutter style of drum corps I watched for 14 hours yesterday. (flugelhorn, French horn, trombone, singer, running and bobbing up and down pit performance) age of drum corps we see. 

• Like 8

Well, Bloo has been ahead of the curve in a lot of areas the last several years. So now it's choreography. I think people will look back on this show in a few years and look on it as groundbreaking, which again, isn't a new place for Blooo to be these past few years. When you push the envelope, you can't always bring the judges along right away. The crowd knows, though.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, ajlemm said:

Well, Bloo has been ahead of the curve in a lot of areas the last several years. So now it's choreography. I think people will look back on this show in a few years and look on it as groundbreaking, which again, isn't a new place for Blooo to be these past few years. When you push the envelope, you can't always bring the judges along right away. The crowd knows, though.

I like the show too, but I wouldn't call it "groundbreaking."  Curious to know what it is about Jagged Line that you see as groundbreaking?  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

Frankly Bloo has as much GE if not more than any other corps. Regardless of opinions you don't get those ovations because you look or sound like a_s. Bloo's show is so entertaining and that's refreshing in this cookie cutter style of drum corps I watched for 14 hours yesterday. (flugelhorn, French horn, trombone, singer, running and bobbing up and down pit performance) age of drum corps we see. 

Agree. From day one when I saw them at the first Massillon show in June I felt Bluecoats' show was full of GE. Initially I didn't think anyone would touch them but Blue Devils. But as we know seasons can take on strange twists. Cleaning the feet took longer than perhaps they thought. There were side to side timing issues due to the stage and also some of the spread-out features they challenged their performers with. The tenor feature is one, but there are others. The visual program is a LOT more challenging than people think.  It also took them a while to make up their mind on the ballad, staging, solo, and ultimately they made it work, but I feel they were not able to milk that music for everything it has. That section alone is likely hurting GE. 

Having said that, your second sentence is so RIGHT ON. It is not easy to program entertainment into a show, especially complex shows that are also designed to be competitive. For a 4th straight year Blooo has programmed one of the most effective show designs from top to bottom. The crowds have reacted all summer. Standing ovations everywhere, and they are achieving this popularity and fan approval with shows that are not "cookie cutter" as you noted. These shows are perhaps the most unique shows in the activity over the last 4 years. 

I still think a lot of drum corps out there will continue to look at Blooo's formula as a model. Competitively it works, and everyone wants to have a fan-friendly show. To me this Bluecoats corps (the 2017 version) reminds me of Madison Scouts 1995. High energy, massive audience appeal (maybe not quite like that Madison corps), excellent performance, and somehow the judges have it sitting in 4th place. 

• Like 9