Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

58 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I disagree with this to some extent. I am sure Cavaliers are still loved in Texas so I will leave it at that.  What I really do not like is people using the expression "Flavor of the Month."

The Bluecoats knocked into the top 5 in 2005.  That's 12 seasons ago not counting this year.  They took 4th in 2006.  They took 3rd in 2010.  They have been top 5 many times now, and in the last 3 years they have been top 3 each year, with a Gold, Silver, and Bronze medal.  Additionally, the Bluecoats have been a top 12 corps every year since 1987 but one (1999).  That is not some flavor of the month.  That's what I call consistency, excellence, competitive balance, and all achieved by a well-run, finely-tuned organization.  Flavor of the month is making top 5 one year and then disappearing for the next 5 to 10 years.  

Not disagreeing with anything you stated above. By "Flavor of the Month" I was not speaking to their competitive successes I was referring simply in terms of fan support. 

the Bluecoats really started consistently competing for a title starting in 2014 and with TILT you noticed the new Bluecoats fan starting to emerge. I was referring more to how a winning culture provided more support. Suddenly the souvie lines got longer, more tshirts were being worn and the Facebook followers count started to rise.

In football or basketball ironically enough these are referred to as jumping on (or off) the bandwagon. While the Bluecoats have always had their fans it's not until recently that this rabid fan base has emerged. This year marks my 15th finals and 12th in a row. Not until the recent "medal years" have I noticed the quantity of Bloo fans at events or even the amount of discussion here on DCP. 

By Flavor of the Month I was simply referring to them as being the new "it" thing. Everybody loves a winner, it's when you're down that the true fan shows his colors. 

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I disagree with this to some extent. I am sure Cavaliers are still loved in Texas so I will leave it at that.  What I really do not like is people using the expression "Flavor of the Month."

The Bluecoats knocked into the top 5 in 2005.  That's 12 seasons ago not counting this year.  They took 4th in 2006.  They took 3rd in 2010.  They have been top 5 many times now, and in the last 3 years they have been top 3 each year, with a Gold, Silver, and Bronze medal.  Additionally, the Bluecoats have been a top 12 corps every year since 1987 but one (1999).  That is not some flavor of the month.  That's what I call consistency, excellence, competitive balance, and all achieved by a well-run, finely-tuned organization.  Flavor of the month is making top 5 one year and then disappearing for the next 5 to 10 years.  

Maybe I'm jumping in at the wrong part of the conversation, but I often think of "flavor of the month" referring to the preference of the crowd, not the judges. 

And in that sense, I do think that Bloo and Crown are the flavors of the month, but not sure how long it will last; could be for a couple more years, could be a lot longer than that. 

3 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

Not disagreeing with anything you stated above. By "Flavor of the Month" I was not speaking to their competitive successes I was referring simply in terms of fan support. 

the Bluecoats really started consistently competing for a title starting in 2014 and with TILT you noticed the new Bluecoats fan starting to emerge. I was referring more to how a winning culture provided more support. Suddenly the souvie lines got longer, more tshirts were being worn and the Facebook followers count started to rise.

In football or basketball ironically enough these are referred to as jumping on (or off) the bandwagon. While the Bluecoats have always had their fans it's not until recently that this rabid fan base has emerged. This year marks my 15th finals and 12th in a row. Not until the recent "medal years" have I noticed the quantity of Bloo fans at events or even the amount of discussion here on DCP. 

By Flavor of the Month I was simply referring to them as being the new "it" thing. Everybody loves a winner, it's when you're down that the true fan shows his colors. 

Whoops, should've read this before posting. This is exactly what I'm trying to say and I completely agree.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

So there was this sort of progression that looks like this, in popular terms:

1.) if you can't beat them... then just entertain people

2.) if you can't beat them... then join them, and entertain people

3.) if you can't beat them... then do it better... and entertain people

They are trying to sit at number 3... and they are doing fairly well (especially on the electronics and field innovation).  But so many others are sitting at number 3 too!  It's fun to watch. :biggrin:

Or you might add....

4.) Yes you CAN and HAVE beat them...and entertain people :-)

I just returned from Bloo's standstill concert that they perform for the community of Granville as a thank you for hosting the corps for Spring Training. They ran through the entire show except for the last minute of Zomby Woof which Doug Thrower will be delivering to the corps later this week.

The corps sounds awesome. I know there are other threads on DCP which are hyping their corps' chances of winning it all or taking this caption trophy or that caption trophy. I even read one comment that stated unequivocally that if their favorite corps didn't win and take the Ott then it would be a case of highway robbery.

I will not make that sort of statement but I will say that Bloo is not just going concede the title or any of the caption trophies to anyone without an energetic fight. This is a very strong corps. It is hard for me to envision them falling out of the top three but if three or more corps do end up beating them, then this is an exceptional year for drum corps and it will be a great year to be a fan.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Standstill? They didn't march any part of the show?

Not for this concert. They will run the entire field show for the community on June 20. However, I have seen the first seven minutes of the field show and am very enthusiastic about it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Not for this concert. They will run the entire field show for the community on June 20. However, I have seen the first seven minutes of the field show and am very enthusiastic about it.

Did they reveal what they are wearing or did they do what Cadets did, a faux reveal?

That is why they went to Hong Kong, yes?  You know, Hong Kong suits, etc. ....

Edited by xandandl

Just now, xandandl said:

Did they reveal what they are wearing or did they do what Cadets did, a faux reveal?

They wore dark pants and Bluecoats T-shirts. The word on the street is there is a possibility they will wear their new costumes/uniforms for the June 20 community run-through.

11 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

It is the closer. They are once again ending the show with a bang!

They aren't closing with Zappa. Not allowed to reveal anything else.

• Like 2