Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

2 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I love how easy it is to find a video of this show.......is that how secure they have rights to this?   Awesome. 

Actually, just got a msg from DCI to stop posting these. So there will be no more from me. Sorry.

My .02 cents on the ballad. When I heard this at the premier at LOS the backfield playing to the microphones section was uncomfortable to put it mildly. I don't know how to describe it any other way. It was just uncomfortable. My assumption was a mic was set too high or something like that. I went back and listened to the source music and was shocked at the end when I felt the same way...uncomfortable!  The music builds and builds in volume until it is a distorted, "uncomfortable" mess!  After I listened to it a couple times though I kinda liked it. Then I watched the video of the premiere and it then made sense. Bloo is staying true to the source music and it is actually a pretty cool effect they have achieved.

Just my observation. 

• Like 4

Very mature corps performing extremely well as one would expect the 2016 Gold medalist to do. The show is pleasing but I don't leave with anything other then they are preforming extremely well and should score well. Biggest take away is a stunning Brass line but everything just revolves around the center prop and when neighbors catch up with performance levels, I think a few groups will compete with this. 

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tobias said:

Very mature corps performing extremely well as one would expect the 2016 Gold medalist to do. The show is pleasing but I don't leave with anything other then they are preforming extremely well and should score well. Biggest take away is a stunning Brass line but everything just revolves around the center prop and when neighbors catch up with performance levels, I think a few groups will compete with this. 

In terms of performance, Bluecoats still have plenty of issues to improve upon. I congratulated Jim Moore after a run a few days ago on the show and he just said "There is so much work to do. " I expect to see lots of improvement yet from the corps. And if you remember last year's early season comments, people said repeatedly that other corps were going to make changes to their shows and eventually they would overtake Bluecoats because their show only revolved around people running up and down slides. It seems people forget that Bluecoats aren't done making their changes either. Will other corps compete with Bluecoats? Of course they will. Will other corps pass Bluecoats? Maybe, but Bluecoats aren't sitting pat with this show either in terms of performance level or design.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

SNIP

I congratulated Jim Mason after a run a few days ago on the show and he just said "There is so much work to do. "

SNIP

Did you mean Moore or is Mason involved with the team now?

7 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Did you mean Moore or is Mason involved with the team now?

Yes, sorry, I meant Jim Moore ...  I thought Moore but typed Mason. I will fix. Thanks for the catch.

15 hours ago, Corpfan said:

My .02 cents on the ballad. When I heard this at the premier at LOS the backfield playing to the microphones section was uncomfortable to put it mildly. I don't know how to describe it any other way. It was just uncomfortable. My assumption was a mic was set too high or something like that. I went back and listened to the source music and was shocked at the end when I felt the same way...uncomfortable!  The music builds and builds in volume until it is a distorted, "uncomfortable" mess!  After I listened to it a couple times though I kinda liked it. Then I watched the video of the premiere and it then made sense. Bloo is staying true to the source music and it is actually a pretty cool effect they have achieved.

Just my observation. 

When Bluecoats were first working on this section in Spring Training, the effect was stunning. The playing level of the brass, the muffled drums under the stage, the choreography of the guard, the selection of types of mics and the levels of the amps all combined to make an effect that literally brought tears to my eyes. It was that good. I am not sure what happened but I have not had that kind of visceral experience since about the fourth or fifth week of Spring Training. Something happened, but I am not sure what exactly. That said, I am confident the staff will fix it. 

• Like 5

I think I like this better than Down Side Up. Only problem I have right now is the transitions into and out of the ballad. Seem abrupt.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ShouldveMarchedAgeOut said:

I think I like this better than Down Side Up. Only problem I have right now is the transitions into and out of the ballad. Seem abrupt.

I love the ballad, I just don't think their staging idea works. I get what they want, I get why they are doing it, I just leave the ballad wanting so much more.