Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

2 hours ago, corps8294 said:

How many of you have one of those small, bright neon, "Jazz" buttons they sold back in the day? :thumbup:

Not the button, but I still have a Jazz tank top!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Last nights show. Look at the crowd response........in ALLENTOWN!!!! Never thought i would ever see BD loved there. BD in Allentown was like Yankees in Boston or Ohio State playing in Michigan. Crowd ate this show up last night. So proud. Bring it home and DO IT UP DEVILS!!!!!!!!!

OMG.

i am speechless 

and this show isn't even finished yet 

• Like 5

Favorite non-musical music effect this year: The clap of those rifles in the brief silence after the soprano fanfare starts. It's this beautiful call/response. Second favorite is 10 seconds before that: when you hear the sabers catching that beautiful 7 during the drum break, and it absolutely functions like part of the drum break. 

love guard designers who know that the sound of weapons in sync is its own kind of music. Remember 2003/Phenomenon of Cool, during "Take Five"? The arrangement memorably broke the song down into pod-like chunks, separated by complete silence, and during one of the silences you can very audibly hear a flag toss go swish. The timing of it is perfect.

BD knows what it's doing, man. These are the details of champions. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Last nights show. Look at the crowd response........in ALLENTOWN!!!! Never thought i would ever see BD loved there. BD in Allentown was like Yankees in Boston or Ohio State playing in Michigan. Crowd ate this show up last night. So proud. Bring it home and DO IT UP DEVILS!!!!!!!!!

Not a backhanded compliment: my favorite thing about this performance is how good it is despite pretty visibly not being their best. Lots of errors that I didn't see last weekend, but they still rocked it!  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Not a backhanded compliment: my favorite thing about this performance is how good it is despite pretty visibly not being their best. Lots of errors that I didn't see last weekend, but they still rocked it!  

Agreed. They definitely left some points on the field last night. But when you don't have your best run and you can still two point a magnificent and breathtaking Bluecoats show..........that says alot. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I love love love big unison flag moments, that one in the ballad is insane.  Can't stop watching it, that unison toss towards the end of it is so ####### perfect.  

Now that it's clean......:worthy:

That flag feature is insane. They way things amp up when the soprano soloist enters with those trills is just..... :spitting:

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

OMG.

i am speechless 

and this show isn't even finished yet 

Only in recent years has Allentown given polite applause ( " golf claps" ) to the Blue Devils in show performance. I have been present in Allentown on too many ocasions to count when the Allentown audience gave the Blue Devils the largest, most enthusiastic applause of all the performing Corps there. Allentown is a very discerning Drum Corps audience. They cheer for everyone ( never boo Corps in performance ) and give their most enthusiastic applause for those Corps they like in their shows. They don't care about your placements either. As such, in the past, the Madison Scouts, Spirit of Atlanta, SCV and other Corps from outside the east have rocked this Pennsylvania audience... and even Eastern Corps like Cadets, Bridgemen, Crossmen ( and others ) are very well received here if they like your show. So this notion that the Blue Devils only get tepid responses for their shows with this audience is an urban myth....not borne out by the long history of the Blue Devils performing in Allentown. Thus, for some of us, the enthusiastic applause that the Blue Devils received for their appealing 2017 BD show  last nite in Allentown was of no surprise whatsoever. We actually anticipated and expected the enthusiastic reception that they received last nite in Allentown..... Here's another heads up.... SCV ( another Cali Corps ) show will be loved tonite as well here in Allentown, Pa.. You'll see.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Only in recent years has Allentown given polite applause ( " golf claps" ) to the Blue Devils in show performance. I have been present in Allentown on too many ocasions to count when the Allentown audience gave the Blue Devils the largest, most enthusiastic applause of all the performing Corps there. Allentown is a very discerning Drum Corps audience. They cheer for everyone ( never boo Corps in performance ) and give their most enthusiastic applause for those Corps they like in their shows. They don't care about your placements either. As such, in the past, the Madison Scouts, Spirit of Atlanta, SCV and other Corps from outside the east have rocked this Pennsylvania audience... and even Eastern Corps like Cadets, Bridgemen, Crossmen ( and others ) are very well received here if they like your show. So this notion that the Blue Devils only get tepid responses for their shows with this audience is an urban myth....not borne out my the long history of the Blue Devils performing in Allentown. Thus, for some of us, the enthusiastic applause that the Blue Devils received for their appealing 2017 BD was of no surprise whastsoever. We actually anticipated the enthusiastic reception that they received last nite in Allentown..... Here's another heads up.... SCV ( another Cali Corps ) will tonite as well, imo. You'll see.

I stand corrected. Good stuff Brasso. And yes they will go bonkers for SCV tonight and all the performing coprs and deservedly so. Thanks for the insight!

• Like 3