Blue Coats DCI Champions '16: Paradigm Shift?

The aspect that most corps could follow is using the hornline as a guard; for the visual.

It’s a long established trend that has resulted in some really cringe inducing frat-boy-bop dance breaks to Bieber tunes as ‘high-art’ so if we can kill those (die die die) and have a real commitment to horn players dancing poorly and only playing four minutes per show, then were on to something

I liked Blue Devils' show this year a lot, but that was its weakest moment for me. In that regard only, Sunrisers in DCA surpassed them (in effect if not in execution, although maybe there too), with their (briefer) "Material Girl" dance routine.

It was a pretty unique show, trying to cop it would be failure.

To repeat the George Bernard Shaw quote I offered a few weeks ago:

"In art, the highest success is to be the last of your race, not the first. Anybody, almost, can make a beginning: the difficulty is to make an end--to do what cannot be bettered."

In DCA this year, Fusion Core had two tall platforms they also used as slides in their show "Up". I only first saw their show at championships this past weekend; does anyone know if that was part of their concept from the beginning, or were they inspired by what Bluecoats did?

I don't see the downside to Fusion Core's show...

;)

• Like 2

I asked the same in this thread:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/164998-impact-of-bloos-win-on-future-show-designs/

For me, the toys all over the field increasing is inevitable, regardless of Bloo's slides.

I'm more interested in the musical impact. It was a brass book consisting mostly of ostinatos that almost won the caption. Really wondering if other corps are going to emulate that, and how some of the great brass arrangers in the activity might go about it. I wasn't a fan, but the good news for me is that I think what Bloo pulled off was really hard to do as spectacularly well as they did.

It was a brass book consisting mostly of ostinatos that almost won the caption.

This is the six or seventh time you've raised this point. I don't get it. Most of the show is based around Heat of the Day. Cadets2 won DCA playing Heat of the Day this year as well, was their brass book also "mostly" ostinatos? What about when Crossmen played it in 2002?

I really liked the costume - and no headgear -

removing the helmet really opens up the performer and allows them to connect with the audience -

going to a dance costume makes sense with the visual demand and dance that is becoming the norm --

I hope more corps follow their lead in terms of uniform --

I have entirely mixed feelings around uniforms vs. costumes.

I love the look of shakos, helmets, all manner of brightly colored and plumed headwear. I don't want to see that tradition go.

I also love the look of the standard bibs and jackets, along with gauntlets, sashes, tails and other accessories that all have their origin in the military.

And yet I do understand the need for more liberating clothing because of expanding body movement.

Honestly, regarding this specific topic, I'm just not sure where the activity is heading.

Edited by luv4corps

This is the six or seventh time you've raised this point. I don't get it.

not that hard to get if you know the definition of ostinato, and can read music and/or have ears

i'm not being critical or exaggerating. just stating a fact. i don't care for it, but i think it will have an impact on brass arrangements in the future, and that's what this thread is about.

Edited by Lance

not that hard to get if you know the definition of ostinato, and can read music and/or have ears

i'm not being critical or exaggerating. just stating a fact. i don't care for it, but i think it will have an impact on brass arrangements in the future, and that's what this thread is about

The only thing resembling ostinato is the first part of the opener. And the magic there is how the ostinato was varied in color, articulation and space. A true ostinato doesn't vary like that.

• Like 2