Crossmen 2017

Again, I'm hoping the Crossmen avoid playing Elgar's Enigma Variations because the Oregon Crusaders are already doing it, but if they do, I hope they do something really cool with it like they did with Vivaldi's Four Seasons last year.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

What is it about Crossmen? Or what it is about me?

2015: Clouds; air; and I think some airplanes. 2016: Continuum. I remember a Mobius and a cool moment with the flags. And now, Enigma. Is this where the design team is taking Bones? Broad, gauzy themes? The broadest canvas possible? Is there a competitive, or even an instructional, upside to avoiding specific ideas?

Maybe it's their way of A) playing the game of Must Have A Theme Because It's 2017, and B) Not Really, We've Got A Show Name But We're Just Putting Together A Really Cool Show Like In The Wayback Days.

Go get 'em, kids. Xmen have been solid performers who put a smooth, high-execution polish on the programs they've been given. All props to the MMs, who execute and perform very well. I'll pay my money to see you. I just hope the show rises above its name.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

On April 29, 2017 at 8:05 PM, DrumManTx said:

But in all seriousness, I'm excited.  What I thought would be a boring and bland show last year on announcement...I mean come on.  A really vague title and original music?  YAWN.

......actually turned out to be one of my favorite shows of the year and their best in over a decade.  The music program was high energy and incredibly well performed, visually it was a huge display of color, and they performed the absolute crap out of it in all regards.  All I can say for 2016 is keep it up and give those kids even more, they can handle whatever  you throw at them.  

I'm excited!  

In 2012, I was not overly impressed with the show theme or music selected when it was announced. Wasn't sure they would make finals after an absence of a few years. Saw a rehearsal just prior to a show, not convinced. My only reason for holding out any hope was knowing a staff member and hearing about the show's potential from people who are usually good at predicting things who had also seen the corps rehearse. Uniforms plus audience changed everything. I was hooked from late June and somehow knew they would squeak into finals. After their first solo in semi's, I knew we'd see them on Saturday. In 2016, original music was mentioned, never a selling point for me. Passing them at warm ups at the Boston Crusaders show at Boston College, they looked young. The combination of the two convinced me we'd be looking more at their potential for 2017 than a spot in finals. Again, I was proven wrong as soon as I saw the show.

I trust Crossmen have a plan, and I trust we'll see another good year, and as I've said before, if the corps was as young as they looked (a good deal of my work is with high school aged kids, so I'm not one of those who thinks everyone looks younger as I get older) and they retained these veterans and recruited great new talent, we'll see something impressive.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

2015: Clouds; air; and I think some airplanes. 2016: Continuum. I remember a Mobius and a cool moment with the flags. And now, Enigma. Is this where the design team is taking Bones? Broad, gauzy themes? The broadest canvas possible? Is there a competitive, or even an instructional, upside to avoiding specific ideas?

I think you'd have to ask the Blue Knights.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Maybe it's their way of A) playing the game of Must Have A Theme Because It's 2017, and B) Not Really, We've Got A Show Name But We're Just Putting Together A Really Cool Show Like In The Wayback Days.

Go get 'em, kids. Xmen have been solid performers who put a smooth, high-execution polish on the programs they've been given. All props to the MMs, who execute and perform very well. I'll pay my money to see you. I just hope the show rises above its name.

The judging system nowadays sadly allows for very little variety in show approach. The Crossmen are doing exactly what is expected from a DCI corps design-wise. It's really not the corps' fault.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...