Blue Knights 2017

TrueBK

Their send-off show was fire. Their choreography was overloaded, but more fluid and better executed than last year. 107 Steps is their most percussive song for a while. And to say that they're keeping their identity this year would be an understatement.

And am I the only one who likes their uniforms? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, friendwhale said:

Their send-off show was fire. Their choreography was overloaded, but more fluid and better executed than last year. 107 Steps is their most percussive song for a while. And to say that they're keeping their identity this year would be an understatement.

And am I the only one who likes their uniforms? 

Glad to hear of your thoughts! As for the uniform, I think I just need to see it in context.

13 minutes ago, shofmon88 said:

They certainly have made me reconsider my disdain of Jupiter horns a bit. They have built a sound over the last few seasons that is recognizable in its own right. They don't sound like anybody else: they sound like the Blue Knights. 

I'm still glad Phantom's off of Jupiter regardless

1 hour ago, bandandstuff said:

THAT BRASS HOLY SMOKES

Yup. Gonna be the best sounding Blue Knights for sure since their style change a few years ago. Watching vids from weeks ago to now they are cleaning up so well and I was actually shocked hearing the cleanliness in certain parts. Call me crazy but they could definitely make top 5 if they sell this show. 

• Like 1

I was at the preview earlier.  Dayum!  The show already seems like it could be visually busier than last year's show, and they have more of it on the field.  I agree on previous comments made about the brass.  Looks and sounds like a stronger group than the year before.  (But isn't that always the case? :-P )  Not one for making predictions, but I don't see them dropping -- or if they do, it won't be very far.  

• Like 2

One thing I've been wondering after seeing BK a few times is how they were going to handle the uniforms, since the guard, hornline, drumline...and even front ensemble at times...are so totally integrated.  Seriously, it's like the entire corps is one big guard unit...just some play instruments and some handle flags, and other stuff.  Well, last night my questions were answered:  They are ALL basically wearing the same uniform.  Everyone.  There are variations of the "eye" color, but that's the only difference.  Oh...and the shoes.  The guard doesn't have white shoes.

But, you know, this isn't really new ground.  Bluecoats did almost the same thing last season.  They all wore the same thing, but there was a sharp difference of color.  BK took it a step further.

Anyway, it was a good show.  They have some of the props ready (there WILL be mirrors!), I noticed improvements and small changes just since my viewing last week Monday.  The only disappointment for me was that they didn't have their closer on the field like they said they would.  Bummer.

One thing I REALLY have to mention is their drumline and ensemble.  WOW!  Let me put it this way...this show is not "HORNLINE!!...and, oh yeah...we've got drums and stuff, too."

Edited by Mycroft

17 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

One thing I've been wondering after seeing BK a few times is how they were going to handle the uniforms, since the guard, hornline, drumline...and even front ensemble at times...are so totally integrated.  Seriously, it's like the entire corps is one big guard unit...just some play instruments and some handle flags, and other stuff.  Well, last night my questions were answered:  They are ALL basically wearing the same uniform.  Everyone.  There are variations of the "eye" color, but that's the only difference.  Oh...and the shoes.  The guard doesn't have white shoes.

But, you know, this isn't really new ground.  Bluecoats did almost the same thing last season.  They all wore the same thing, but there was a sharp difference of color.  BK took it a step further.

Anyway, it was a good show.  They have some of the props ready (there WILL be mirrors!), I noticed improvements and small changes just since my viewing last week Monday.  The only disappointment for me was that they didn't have their closer on the field like they said they would.  Bummer.

One thing I REALLY have to mention is their drumline and ensemble.  WOW!  Let me put it this way...this show is not "HORNLINE!!...and, oh yeah...we've got drums and stuff, too."

I love the idea of the guard dressing the same as the players. But you really need to spread the field and work on ideas that don't get jumbled. That's not been a strong point for this corps in the past, in my opinion. 

Of all the corps, it seems to me that Blue Knights have the potential to establish themselves as a challenger for a medal every year. I just don't know that it will happen with concepts that are so intentionally unapproachable. I don't see how they will ever compete with BC, BD, Crown and SCV for GE scores. Maybe they don't care about that, which is awesome. But man they can play with anyone, and when they land concepts that walk that line (as they did two seasons ago) they are one of the best in the activity.