Blue Knights 2017

TrueBK

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

I won't predict it; they'll have to get a greater-than-average bump than they've received during their first 11 contests. But I think it's probably a nice hype point for the members; they're very close; they've been rising steadily; and they're about to put a hot show in front of their hometown fans. They have to follow both Bluecoats and BD, however -- but then, they always perform last at this show. In this lineup, they have a lane pretty much to their own; lots of room for the judges to move them one way or the other. There should be plenty of headroom above 80 and below the other Blues, though that space is likely to be in the 3-4 point range, which would put BK closer to BD than they've yet been. If BD/Bloo blow the roof off and approach 85.0, and If BK nails it AND the judges are in a generous mood, an 80 or better is possible, imo.

I'm excited for this show. BK is a powerhouse musically this year. I'm wondering how they'll do in the music subcaptions, specifically brass and percussion. Their last two shows had them 0.1 behind THE BLUE FREAKING DEVILS in percussion achievement. I would LOVE to see them tie or surpass BD or BC in a caption or two. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, shofmon88 said:

I'm excited for this show. BK is a powerhouse musically this year. I'm wondering how they'll do in the music subcaptions, specifically brass and percussion. Their last two shows had them 0.1 behind THE BLUE FREAKING DEVILS in percussion achievement. I would LOVE to see them tie or surpass BD or BC in a caption or two. 

Their percussion sound is so massive, I don't know how they do it. Other than they are probably marching the equivalent of four Center snares talent wise...

I genuinely hated last year's show. In Nashville I was embarrassed for them given the almost total lack of a crown reaction at the end.

I love their book and arrangements this year, but still don't get the show. They will kill in music performance but again suffer in GE.

Edited by MikeRapp

On 7/13/2017 at 2:55 AM, henry7184 said:

Well, yes, but SCV was barely losing to BD and barely beat Bloo. Spread for spread, BK would have been right in line with Regiment at Minnesota. You also have to account for the fact that there were no corps between BD and BK, and as more corps come between them, that spread could widen. And technically, the spread was 5.75 at their first meeting and 5.50 at their last, so not really much movement. 

Totally agree with this assessment 

Been thinking about the show this morning and watched a couple recordings of it.

Like many have said, the musical book and its execution is phenomenal. In addition, it's refreshing to experience a BK show that doesn't follow a strict storyboard format like the last three have.

However, if there's one thing that I really don't like about the show, it's the amount of body movement in the corps proper. IMO, there's a fine line between choreography that complements the drill and choreography that basically obliterates the drill, and BK has crossed this line big-time. To make matters worse, they have so much space on the field - they can easily pull off quite a few more big drill moves and use choreography that doesn't overpower the drill.

I would also appreciate if the guard could stick with the costumes used in the 2nd half for the whole show in order to distinguish themselves from the corps.

4 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Been thinking about the show this morning and watched a couple recordings of it.

Like many have said, the musical book and its execution is phenomenal. In addition, it's refreshing to experience a BK show that doesn't follow a strict storyboard format like the last three have.

However, if there's one thing that I really don't like about the show, it's the amount of body movement in the corps proper. IMO, there's a fine line between choreography that complements the drill and choreography that basically obliterates the drill, and BK has crossed this line big-time. To make matters worse, they have so much space on the field - they can easily pull off quite a few more big drill moves and use choreography that doesn't overpower the drill.

I would also appreciate if the guard could stick with the costumes used in the 2nd half for the whole show in order to distinguish themselves from the corps.

BK has been about body movement before it caught on with everyone else. It's not surprising to me that they're overdoing it. I may be a fan of BK, but I've always hated this. I don't think marching style/drill has ever been their strong suit (except for 1999). 

• Like 1

Well, after seeing BK's show live on Sat.  I am hoping I love it more by finals. First of all, musically I love it-brass and percussion are fantastic. Visually it is just not my cup of tea this year( maybe because they went on after BD)- maybe because it it is not clean- I am trying to keep my mind open.  The guard work/design is underwhelming and is cleaner than the beginning of the season.

I still love BK and I guess I want to like this show as much as the last 9 years.

Edited by Forevergreen

Watching the show at Mile High, allowed me to see the show from on high...for the first time.

Besides the music from the horns, drumline and pit...which already blew me away, even during the send off show...I finally understand what their guard...in fact, their entire corps...is showing me.  It's all about i/I/eye.  And the i/I/eyes change with the musical selection being performed.  The drill is so tightly integrated with the guard, it's better to consider them one total unit of movement.

I LOVED the show and I can't wait to see it evolve into their finished Finals product.

Congrats on breaking 80 tonight!!!! Can't wait to see the show again tomorrow via FloMarching!

Edited by BassFanMom

12 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

I know it's only one show and it doesn't really matter, but BK got ripped off tonight.

How so. Massive design issues on the guard that bleed into GE. The guard uses non-standard guard equipment for a big chunk of the show. Work with that equipment that I could learn in 5 minutes and execute it as well as them. That's a HUGE issue IMO. They have got to revamp their guard book in a major way.

• Like 1