Woodwinds

i'm a clarinet and sax player. the most i can play on brass is a b-flat/c major scale.

woodwinds in drum corps makes zero sense to me outside of featured performers mic'd up, which i personally don't want to hear, but i'd bet it's coming anyway.

clarinets sound like #### unless they're made of grenadilla or similar-quality wood. they're expensive, and crack more easily than non-woodwind people likely understand.

you can't hear flutes anyway, and an entire section of piccolos always sound awful to me. just anathema to what i've always loved about the brass and percussion sound in dci.

saxes i could maybe understand, though pads would be a nightmare if we're talking about a whole section of them....really, they'd still make the most sense to me as featured performances mic'd up.

but yeah, there's some very nifty big band pieces with woodwind features that could make for great dci tunes.

• Like 3

i'm a clarinet and sax player. the most i can play on brass is a b-flat/c major scale.

woodwinds in drum corps makes zero sense to me outside of featured performers mic'd up, which i personally don't want to hear, but i'd bet it's coming anyway.

clarinets sound like #### unless they're made of grenadilla or similar-quality wood. they're expensive, and crack more easily than non-woodwind people likely understand.

you can't hear flutes anyway, and an entire section of piccolos always sound awful to me. just anathema to what i've always loved about the brass and percussion sound in dci.

saxes i could maybe understand, though pads would be a nightmare if we're talking about a whole section of them....really, they'd still make the most sense to me as featured performances mic'd up.

but yeah, there's some very nifty big band pieces with woodwind features that could make for great dci tunes.

i agree with you from a practicality stand point.

but i'd rather woodwinds than a woodwind patch on the synth. far more expressive. synth makes sense for voices that just aren't practical. but if you've got a soloist who can play XYZ , why not let them play it?

• Like 3

Should we move this topic to the Music for All/BOA message boards?

Considering the topic has been addressed at all levels of the activity, not just on DCP forums, no.

Granted there have been countless threads on here about woodwinds since the inception of DCP, the topic is still relevent to the activity.

Granted there have been countless threads on here about woodwinds since the inception of DCP, the topic is still relevent to the activity.

For me, only when they are voted in at which time BRASSO will have company at Cheers!

• Like 2

this would push me right into the woodwind camp! love me some bari sax.

Love it!

I was a percussion major and starting drumming in 4th grade, but I also started sax in 7th grade and ended up playing bari in concert and jazz band all through Jr High and HS.also played bari in my college jazz ensemble even though a percussion major.

I was as big a Maynard fan in the 70's as a lot of my friends, but a big part of liking his band was Bruce Johnston the bari sax player.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

But I'd rather woodwinds than a woodwind patch on the synth. Far more expressive. Synth makes sense for voices that just aren't practical, but if you've got a soloist who can play XYZ, why not let them play it?

As I've said before, I'd rather have any acoustic instrument than any electronic or amplified instrument. Replace the synths with bagpipes and shawms!

And I like some of the nimble-fingered woodwind features seen in the best high school marching bands, although I dislike when an entire section is simply planted down front to play such passages. And I think no one would deny that last year's featured saxophonist in the Hebron High School marching band show--on an obscure Celine Dion song, no less!--was amazing.* But I wouldn't welcome any more geegaws that take away from pure brass writing, which there should be more of, not less.

*Many people here have heard that solo before, I think, but for those who haven't:

Considering the topic has been addressed at all levels of the activity, not just on DCP forums, no.

Blame Stan Kenton. It was his birthday yesterday (12/15/1911).

Anyway it's absurd that we can have a flute solo on a synthesizer but can't have a (far better sounding) real flute playing the part.

• Like 2