Drum Majors Will No Longer Participate In Retreats. Please Say It Isn't True...

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

But they don't....

BD leaves rehearsal for the show at the same time as Pioneer when Pioneer goes on 2-3 hours earlier and BD is likely closer to the housing site?

What does BD do when they get to the show 5-6 hours before they take the field?

• Like 1

On 3/7/2017 at 7:14 PM, BRASSO said:

Incidentally, regarding the issue of time, score announcements with DM's only retreats tends to take WAY longer than they should in my experience over the years. I mean, how long should it really take to tabulate the scores, move the decimal points, and get the scores out to the audience in a timely manner ? As slowly as it does ? I don't think so. They could move things along more swiftly, imo.

Gotta be honest here... There are times when it's not a case of the scores being ready... but instead a case of other stuff needing to be done (various tributes/acknowledgments/other things that take time, perhaps something as simple as the DMs not being ready yet to get out there, for whatever reason) before an announcer can get to those scores.

Heh... at least a couple of years at DCA Finals, a circuit official would get the Olympic-style retreat thing started.... "we gotta move this along!!!".... well before I had the scores in hand. I thought to myself, it doesn't matter when the corps get out onto the field, if the scores aren't here everyone's gonna be waiting a while.   :tongue: 

For one thing, I always take a minute to check the stuff I have to read, take a look at the scores/placements, awards, etc., to make sure I don't screw anything up. LOL.  I'm sure that's the case with any other show announcer, especially at a big event.  

10 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

What does BD do when they get to the show 5-6 hours before they take the field?

Rehearse how they are going to celebrate after winning another championship?  :tongue:

• Like 3

Do any of you know why there is no longer a massed ensemble number at the end of finals?  Being new to drum corps, I have just discovered YouTube videos like the one below and was so moved by it that I wondered why they stopped doing this.  Just too much of a hassle?

Those who have competed in a DCI Finals will probably know, but I'm thinking that the mass ensemble had run its course.  After scores were done, many might have wanted to just start the drive home, crash at the airport, or spend some time with friends made during the season from other corps out by the busses.  The contract DCI has with the stadium may have required an early shut down time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

BITD it was an honor to be the last DM to arrive 'front & center', Trooper or not.  Our DM would always come back, make sure all was lined up properly in Guard/Perc/brass before deciding it was abt time to go  to the awards.  Although getting there last was best, no DM wanted to be the first to arrive

I remember that as well, and I believe you can find a video of a DCI retreat on YouTube from the 1970's where that is mentioned, but that was at a full retreat. The slow pace of the Troopers DM is when only the drum majors go to the field. 

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

For one thing, I always take a minute to check the stuff I have to read, take a look at the scores/placements, awards, etc., to make sure I don't screw anything up. LOL.  I'm sure that's the case with any other show announcer, especially at a big event.  

Maybe other big events, like the Oscars, could learn from this.

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Maybe other big events, like the Oscars, could learn from this.

Believe me, I've done my share of "cold reads".... reading stuff as it's handed to me...not for the faint of heart. LOL. But I definitely prefer taking a look before I read anything.

13 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Do any of you know why there is no longer a massed ensemble number at the end of finals?  Being new to drum corps, I have just discovered YouTube videos like the one below and was so moved by it that I wondered why they stopped doing this.  Just too much of a hassle?

I believe it was after some members screwed around during the mass ensemble in 2008. Could be wrong though.

2 hours ago, ouooga said:

I believe it was after some members screwed around during the mass ensemble in 2008. Could be wrong though.

Couldn't have been for that reason. The video posted is from 2010.