Drum Majors Will No Longer Participate In Retreats. Please Say It Isn't True...

4 hours ago, flammaster said:

People hardly stay for awards anymore.  Opting to get scores online I guess.

I find it varies depending on the show. I've been to shows where there are drumline battles and people stay, engaging encores get people to stay, 50/50 drawings with decent prizes will keep people. Things that make people leave: long talking programs. Recognize honored guests and alums between competitors rather than at the end. Mary and Joe Jamocha who sold their kidneys to save the St. Francis Warriors from bankruptcy in 1938 will get a warmer response between shows than they will when people are waiting for scores and it will show people unfamiliar with drum corps we appreciate those who make the activity possible. Also read the scores when they are ready. It can be done. I was at NightBEAT in 2014. A major storm with torrential rains, thunder and lightning, and hurricane force winds with a tornado warning was threatened just after the last corps performed (it must have been Crown). Those scores were announced within minutes of the last show's finish. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, flammaster said:

People hardly stay for awards anymore.  Opting to get scores online I guess.

I would also imagine that some fans leave before the scores are announced in the early season shows where there are only half size ( or even less ) DCI judging panels. Some departing fans probably think the early season scores are almost worthless when the Drum & Bugle Corps competitions have no Drum Judges.. or no Brass judges.... or no Guard judges.... or any combination loss, thereof.  I sympathize with that sentiment too. So some leave before the scores are announced for that reason too, I would tend to believe. But mostly its probably because a lot of these local shows are during the work week, and people have to get home as they need to get up for work early the next morning... So when it takes too long to release the scores, its another reason people empty out of the stands and head for the exits after the last Corps has performed.

Edited by BRASSO

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I would also imagine that some fans leave before the scores are announced in the early season shows where there are only half panels. Some departing fans probably think the early season scores are almost worthless when the Drum & Bugle Corps competitions have no Drum Judges.. or no Brass judges.... or no Guard judges.... or any combination loss, thereof.  I sympathize with that sentiment too. So some leave before the scores are announced for that too, I would think.

You're a busy boy this AM B.  No honey due list to work on?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

You're a busy boy this AM B.  No honey due list to work on?

haha!... I hired robots to do every chore but the taxes, Ghost. So I got all the bases covered.. lol!

On 3/7/2017 at 6:22 AM, Liahona said:

I'm not surprised when I heard that drum majors will no longer be participating in retreats after the shows.  It's been quite a number of years since full-retreats were on the field anyway...this is only a continuation of that trend...Honestly...I don't have a problem with this decision...I heard finals is the only exclusion to this as well...

I'm not even sure whether anyone actually cares anymore?  Is this a big deal to you or no?

Caveat: I have not personally confirmed this news.

I suspect it holds corps up from packing and getting on the road after the show. 

I can understand why we no longer see a full retreats except for finals.  There is a lot of crap to pack.  But this decision makes no sense to me.  Hoping it's not true.

3 hours ago, Tobias said:

I suspect it holds corps up from packing and getting on the road after the show. 

Something else to possibly factor in that no one has mentioned is the drivers. There are mandated rules that affect the bus drivers.  They can only be up, awake, and driving for a certain number of hours and the show hours count since they drive to the show. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Exactly. You can start driving and get the scores 30 minutes later 30 miles closer to home 

30 miles in 30 minutes??? Do you only attend shows where the stadium is attached to an interstate? :tongue:

"It isn't true."

(For all I know, it might be, but Liahona did say please.)

• Like 1

I have no idea if this true. If it is, put me in the slightly sad column. But here's an idea that might engage the fans, even as the corps themselves leave them behind in their diesel smoke:

Last competing corps exits the field. As the judges finish the tabluations, the show organizers bring out some local kids dressed up in their own homemade versions of the respective corps uniforms. So, 6 corps in the contest = six kids dressed up as a marching member, one for each corps. Cuteness potential: 10.

The announcer invites the fans to go out onto the field, and to line up, as best as they can organize themselves, behind kid "drum major" of their choice. Maybe it's the corps they liked the best. Or the corps they think should win. Or the cutest kid acting as a drum major. Doesn't matter.

Scores are announced. Fans get to enjoy the tension of the moment. They see if their "pick" actually wins. High-fives and and selfies ensue.

Can't do this at shows in big stadiums. Only local shows. Might prompt a few more T-shirt sales maybe.

Carry on.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman