How would you breathe life into Indy?

LOS/DCI should have one of Bloo's slides from last season, and for $1 and  injury disclaimer, allow one to slide down and back up pretending they are the 2016 World Champion. They can even wink. Not as easy as it looks to do it in sync. (sliding I mean, not the winking. I can blink both eyes easy.)

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

Please no.  I have had more of that color than any human should ever experience.

Forever Green has had too much orange; hmmmmmm... let's pause and contemplate that for a moment or two.

The ‘boredom’ aspect with Indy is not in the town itself; it is in the fact that Finals are in the same location multiple times.  Whitewater multiple times was dull, Madison multiple times was dull, and heck even Orlando became dull after the fourth time.  I mean how many times can you get a laugh out of your emotional support dog taking a leak on Mickey's leg?

Indy is pretty boring, but there are good restaurants and pubs--and lets face it--we are in the stadium most of the time anyway.  With prelims now starting in the morning on Thursday there isn't much time to do anything but have a few lunches/pubs,  and sit in the stadium.  Indy is it---and we have to deal with that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ajlemm said:

We are looking at this wrong.

Let's face it, most of us are drum corps freaks and would go to Finals even if they were held in the absolute most boring place, so while it would be nice if 

I brought the same friends to Finals every year that it's been in Indy, and those friends have gotten bored, so they aren't coming this year. Instead, I'm bringing my son for the first time. So it's going to be new to him. I am excited to show him around. 

I am also bringing my high school aged son to championships for the first time. He is very excited. He'll also run in the 5K race on Saturday. He's an avid runner so that'll be new for me. The wife no longer wanted to visit Indy so we stopped attending for the last several years. I'm excited for this visit as I'll be experiencing this through his enthusiasm.  I'm just excited to possibly see a possible Vanguard/BD showdown!  

• Like 1

I've been enjoying reading these posts since I live in the Indianapolis area myself. Having Finals in Indy is nice for me and many others since it's only about a 30 minute drive from my home. I will agree with some of you - Indy can be boring. Very boring. It's not uncommon to drive down Meridian St at about 11:30 on a Friday night and have the city be a ghost town. I mean, DCI does have SoundSport and Drumline Battle on Finals day but IMHO, I don't think that's enough. And the city itself - well - living in Indy my whole life and going to countless Colts games, there's a little bit of city and then there's just... nothing. I hope DCI doesn't move elsewhere, and I've read that LOS was designed with more of the marching arts in mind, whether that be BOA, ISSMA, or DCI. It's not too bad of a town to visit, cut us some slack! ;)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, phantombob said:

Indy is pretty boring, but there are good restaurants and pubs--and lets face it--we are in the stadium most of the time anyway.  With prelims now starting in the morning on Thursday there isn't much time to do anything but have a few lunches/pubs,  and sit in the stadium.  Indy is it---and we have to deal with that.  

I'm a big fan of Harry & Izzy's, Mikado, the Irish pub (Claddaugh on Jackson), and Tavern on South. But dinners except pretty early Saturday are tough to do and still catch all of the shows. Thursday is all day at LOS. (Tavern on South is close by, however, and highly recommended.)

It depends in part on whether you want to see all of the corps each day. If so - and I like seeing them all, especially on Thursday when I see shows I've never seen before (and lots of hardworking but unheralded kids) - then even some of the good restaurants might be off the schedule.