Cadets Announce 2017 Program

29 minutes ago, afd said:

I think this theme would be successful 10 yrs ago. Not sure about now. But love the old classics being retold. Good luck to them.

Its all in the presentation ( and execution ), imo. Phantom Regiment did " Spartacus " 3 times... and the 3rd time was a charm for them in 2008 ( a little less than 10 years ago ). It won them a DCI Title with a redo of a previous classic. So when some fans say you have to be avant- garde, with something not done before to win DCI, ( or medal ) we long timers, with longer memories, remind them that this is not always the case at all. Not only was Phantom's 3rd " Spartacus" a winning hit with judges, the  3rd time redo of their classic theme was a HUGE hit with audiences in 2008 too. It topped ALL the so called " avant- garde " shows with never before done themes that season. But.... some people do seem to have short memories, and so that can perhaps cloud their assessments of what it takes to win ( or medal ) in DCI these days now.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, afd said:

I think this theme would be successful 10 yrs ago. Not sure about now. But love the old classics being retold. Good luck to them.

You don't even know what the "theme" is so maybe wait until you do before deciding it is dated

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

For me, someone new to drum corps, I gleaned a piece of information from the article that was enlightening:  Their budget for this year is 1.4 million.  I had no idea how much money it takes to field a WC corps. 

Just think of the scope of what the organization undertakes during the summer:  Take 200 plus people on the road from spring training through finals (8 weeks).  Put them on a combination of busses (5?) tractor trailers (3), support vehicles (trucks and cars), travel up to 10,000 miles, stay in high school facilities, feed the group a minimum of 3x/day, pay for insurances, instructional staff, some non volunteer staff (medical staff) that are paid with salary/stipend. music rights, instruments, uniforms, props and other performance equipment, electronics.  Add the cost of the off season for staff, camps, travel and the admin of it all and it could easily exceed $1.4 million. 

• Like 2

Good music is good music is good music.  It is relevant any decade.  The issue will be theme or concept and how the Cadets use the music to convey that theme.  That has been their issue in recent years.  I have always felt the Cadets played good music.  I remember people hating the "Little Jeffrey" theme in the 2010 show, but my goodness was it nice to hear Procession of the Nobles, Barber's Symphony no. 3, Dance of the Tumblers and more.  Their arrangements of the 2009 West Side Story were really great.  Angles and Demons was fantastic music.  The Christmas show had some fantastic music.  Cadets had my 2nd favorite music book in 2013 (next to Crown).  I loved the Copland music in 2014 (except the end once they trashed it)...sigh.  And the Shostakovich 10 music in 2015 was really well put together.  Even their Pines of Rome opener last year was nice. Unfortunately I did not like any other music from last year.  That's a first for me in a long while.

Typically with Cadets I almost always love their music book (brass and drums).  They've just struggled to find that magic they used to have in putting their music to visual and creating the kind of GE they did in the 80s, 90s, and decade one of the 2000s.  But hey, let's see where they go with it.  Bernstein's Mass is epic music. :)

• Like 8

So funny that when the Cadet redo music and themes from the past, everyone jumps on board and gives kudo's and stands up" good music is good music", other do it and its called old school or rehashing the past.LOL

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, michsta8 said:

So funny that when the Cadet redo music and themes from the past, everyone jumps on board and gives kudo's and stands up" good music is good music", other do it and its called old school or rehashing the past.LOL

Yes... we do see this frequently. Lower placing Corps rarely get the respect they deserve any more..... whether its getting marchers to consider them after being cut at camps by the elite Corps, or getting the G7 to respect them, or getting fans to arrive at shows and watch them perform. Heck, there is even the misconception that it is the Bluecoats of the world that develop all the new creative ideas, instumentatiions, visuals, etc in Drum Corps. But in reality, over the years, we are just as likely to find a new creative idea, or developing trend in DCI found at these lower placing Corps first... and then lo and behold, it shows up later in the DCI elite Corps shows. Then the elite Corps gets most of the credit, as when it was first done in the lower placing Corps, few were around to tell them.( But then someone like me arrives on the scene to correct the record.. haha! ) These lower placing Corps get nowhere near the respect they deserve, imo.. and interestingly enough, some of them have marchers in them that are unqualifyingly devoted and loyal to their lower placing Corps and also are far more talented in their abilities in many cases than a lot of the marchers found marching in the DCI elite Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

23 minutes ago, michsta8 said:

Lol what freaking universe are you living on? Care to go back to 2009? How about 2013? Or maybe even 2014? Cadets are always criticized (even by myself) for playing music from the past.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, michsta8 said:

You seem to have bypassed Brasso's listing of every corps and year that have ever played Mass a week or so ago, with the veiled implication that it was already over-exposed.

Oddly enough, I was struck by the utter absence of criticism in the Cavaliers' thread for programming Holst, which everyone presumes will be "Mars" from the Planets, despite it's prolific use by corps and marching bands.  

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 1