Massillon, Ohio 2017 version 1

4 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

To be fair, that very specific voice is what sells the source music, and I think it'll be the best way to approach it in the show as well.

It may be as simple as pushing the slides all the way in or swapping them out for shorter (I've seen that before, from warmer weather horn models)... or changing mouthpieces, etc.

I'm curious to see what they do if they are putting a plan in place.

I'm sure they will find a way to have their cake and eat it too.

• Like 3

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

It may be as simple as pushing the slides all the way in or swapping them out for shorter (I've seen that before, from warmer weather horn models)... or changing mouthpieces, etc.

I'm curious to see what they do if they are putting a plan in place.

I'm sure they will find a way to have their cake and eat it too.

The fact that this is the biggest issue we fans are discussing concerning the Bluecoats IN JUNE is absolutely bonkers.

• Like 6

Just now, MotoSurfBass said:

The fact that this is the biggest issue we fans are discussing concerning the Bluecoats IN JUNE is absolutely bonkers.

no kidding.

That whole "flavor of the month" talk from last year is absolute nonsense.

• Like 4

My review of the show:

Troopers: Nessun Dorma was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BAC: Very enjoyable show. I was shocked how improved they are.

Cadets: I just couldn't get into it. But they are on another level than BAC. LOTS of GE going on. Guard was very good (better than Crown). Again vocals sound much better live.

Crown: 1st half of this show is tight. Crowd here LOVED Crown. Guard was not as good as I expected. Horn line sounds crisp, you know, the Crown sound. Vocalist sounded much better live. I actually (dare I say) thought the mix was a bit too low on her, but it sounded better overall for the horn line (they didn't sound cheap, which is what I thought it sounded in the Indy version)

Bloo: Another rough run. Concert Euphonium solo and the general mic'ing of the ballad just isn't working yet. No doubt Bloo is getting KILLED on this in the sheets. Changes are coming, of course. Mics failed on the closer duet, again. Just so much technical stuff going on, it's gonna take a while to iron it all out. The GE is off the hook. This show is incredible, you HAVE to see this LIVE. Get out of your seats and buy a ticket. What a production.

Edited by superOOk
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

We are only talking about the brass caption here.

I don't know that the BD 'show' is contending right now... but that brass writing and playing is pretty beefy.

Oh, definitely. Excited to hear the music grow over the course of the season. 

21 minutes ago, lastknight said:

Does she balance live?  In the theater she kind of stuck out like a bad photoshop edit....  EQ perhaps?

Unfortunately I couldn't get out to Massillon tonight, but in Thursday at LoS she sounded very well balanced with the hornline live. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

no kidding.

That whole "flavor of the month" talk from last year is absolute nonsense.

"Flavor of the month" for the past four+ years haha

• Like 2

Let me also just say: Crown's horn line sounded amazing tonight. Bloo's talent level, however, is just on a different level this year.

All those years of amazing writing is starting to draw talent in like a thousand pound magnet.

• Like 3

im sure the ring didnt hurt any either...

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1

I wonder if crown brass had some rough spots tonight? Or did bloo just kill it in brass? From what I heard live on Thursday, bloo has a wonderful hornline, but not on the same level as crown. 

But boy was it a visual treat to see bloo!

• Like 2