Massillon, Ohio 2017 version 1

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Boston's show is not "complete" by any stretch of the imagination. its probably fair to say that most Corps June shows are just the beginning stages of what they'll have by August Championships... Cadets included.

Sure, but two years ago, when I brought three drum corps newbies to the Akron show which was Boston's first performance that year, they wall wanted to know about the random poles that were being dragged around the field but didn't seem to serve any purpose. (The various warring factions' flags would later be added.) By comparison to that evening, tonight's performance by Boston felt vastly more "complete".

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I hear you, and they won't be undertimed tonight with any penalties. They won't be doing a show "2 minutes" under any other Corps either. So my guess the "2 minutes to add" will really be "2 minutes of changes to add". Just sayin', George.

Well, the rules allow for shows to be up to 13 minutes now, right?

All those (36) panels Cadets had backstage right are two-sided, but I think they only showed the stained-glass side during the show tonight. (Although the audience could see the other side before the show when they were lined up in the endzone.) So that presumably will be part of the longer ending to come.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Remember the effect SCV had when they all went behind the Paris city line and played Bring Him Home in 2013? The opening chords from the horns hidden under the Jagged Line stage is just as juicy.

I was trying to figure out how they could see the DMs from under there!

3 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

How is the baritone solo tonight?

So bad that I wondered if they deliberately had him playing in a different key for some sort of musical effect that went over my head.

It was really surprising and unpleasant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I was trying to figure out how they could see the DMs from under there!

The color guard members who can see the DMs tap the rhythm on the horn players' shoulders who can't see.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Sure, but two years ago, when I brought three drum corps newbies to the Akron show which was Boston's first performance that year, they wall wanted to know about the random poles that were being dragged around the field but didn't seem to serve any purpose. (The various warring factions' flags would later be added.) By comparison to that evening, tonight's performance by Boston felt vastly more "complete".

Boston is " more complete " across the board in all areas than that season's Corps. They are more " complete " in having key caption heads with them for the entire tour this season for added instructional improvements than that season as well. There is little comparison to the 2 Corps, as a matter of fact. The right phrase that you might be looking for is that Boston seemed " more prepared with better talent " to take the field this season than 2 seasons ago. Boston's show however is no more " complete " ( nor incomplete ) than any other Corps at this 1st outing of the season. Like most Corps, the final product at Championships will be a bit different than the one seen and heard the first outing of the season.

Edited by BRASSO

3 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Wow! What's this fanfare the horn line is playing to start their encore?!?!?

I wondered the same thing. It was very nice.

I liked at the end of "The Boxer" when the DM cued one tuba to drop an octave.

2 hours ago, Precious Roy said:

Note to self -- when you get that notification from the Drum Scorps app that new scores are available, wait about 10 minutes to give the DCP servers a chance to cool down. That's 3 nights in a row that I got the notification, and the DCP forums immediately came to a standstill for about 5 minutes.

Yeah, Friday night even from my desktop I couldn't get onto DCP at the time the scores were being announced. Checked other sites and confirmed it wasn't anything at my end.

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Boston's Guard score was a puzzler for sure. But overall, great 1st outing.

Wasn't Lentz their guard head a few years ago?

14 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, the rules allow for shows to be up to 13 minutes now, right?

All those (36) panels Cadets had backstage right are two-sided, but I think they only showed the stained-glass side during the show tonight. (Although the audience could see the other side before the show when they were lined up in the endzone.) So that presumably will be part of the longer ending to come.

Ok.. I do agree with you that the Cadets will make changes, and enhancements. But whats your point ? That Cadets will make changes, enhancements, but other Corps around them, won't ? As I'm not quite getting where you are going with this, frankly.