Massillon, Ohio 2017 version 1

10 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Oh lord!! Because he linked to his review in the REVIEW form and the show thread and got a "58" on week 1 "guess the score" you are trying to undermine his viewpoint or "knowledge" of the matter???

Ya, why not ? lol... its just my opinion, and I was ASKED about his review. I put it in context, thats all. If you don't like that context, thats fine, no big deal. Everybody relax, breathe in. breathe out.. lol!. its all opinion here. His, mine, yours, others... lol!. I appreciated his taking the time to tell us his opinion in 3 places.. ok,  I  got it !... lol!

Edited by BRASSO

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I appreciated his taking the time to tell us his opinion in 3 places.. ok,  I  got it !... lol!

There ya go!

• Like 1

A great early season show last night.  Good walk up crowd.  As usual, the Massillon crowd showed their appreciation for ALL of the performers!  It was especially great to have the Troopers back.  Had been a few years.

Personal show highlights for me:

Columbus Saints - great to see them out this early.  Good luck as you strive to attain Open Class status in DCI.
Rhythm IN BLUE - "Bridge Over Troubled Water"...could be corps song #2
Troopers - "Nessan Dorma"...prepare yourself for MANY standing ovations
Crusaders - WOW!  loved the entire show.  An aggressive and entertaining program.  This corps will move way up this year.
Cadets - I like this show soooo much more than '16. 
Crown - Loved the Bach.
Bluecoats - Obvious homer here...Love the entire show, but the closer is simply INSANE! 

Hope to see everyone back in August.  Don't forget the '16 show SOLD OUT.  As great as the corps on week 1 can only imagine what it's going to be like the FINAL week.  Get your tickets NOW.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Bluecoats - Obvious homer here...Love the entire show, but the closer is simply INSANE!

Agreed on the closer. It is simply WOW!!!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Some photos from last night. They are not the greatest. My phone camera is not that good.  

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.willis.58/media_set?set=a.10155476177967053.1073741851.658647052&type=3

Thanks!  I'll put some up from Michigan City tonight.  I have good seats.  I think.  :1_grinning:

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

A great early season show last night.  Good walk up crowd.  As usual, the Massillon crowd showed their appreciation for ALL of the performers!  It was especially great to have the Troopers back.  Had been a few years.

Personal show highlights for me:

Columbus Saints - great to see them out this early.  Good luck as you strive to attain Open Class status in DCI.
Rhythm IN BLUE - "Bridge Over Troubled Water"...could be corps song #2
Troopers - "Nessan Dorma"...prepare yourself for MANY standing ovations
Crusaders - WOW!  loved the entire show.  An aggressive and entertaining program.  This corps will move way up this year.
Cadets - I like this show soooo much more than '16. 
Crown - Loved the Bach.

Hope to see everyone back in August.  Don't forget the '16 show SOLD OUT.  As great as the corps on week 1 can only imagine what it's going to be like the FINAL week.  Get your tickets NOW.

This is so great to have shows at the start of the season and far into the season.  You'll get an up close view of corps growth for the corps that return.  I know Boston will be back.  You should see a more dynamic and cleaner show by then. And who knows what more effects will be put in.  Well we can guess at some. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Because one of the lessons we take from the Salem witch trials is that there were no actual witches.

No. One of the primary lessons we learn is how we and the government treat others that do proclaim that they practice witchcraft, or other worships or non-worships as the case may be. Salem, Mass. has a few hundred people living there today that would dispute your claim that " there are no actual witches ". Then or today. What is different today from 1692 however is that so long as they break no laws they can worship or non worship as they see fit without fear of government arrest and prosecution, torture and death. In 1692 the belief and the practice of witchcraft was against the law... punishable by death. Today, there is no US law against the belief and the practice of Witchcraft, or Atheism, nor in any other belief or non belief spiritual or occult practice. In the US Constitution's "Bill of Rights", its called Freedom of Religion (or non-religion or non-belief if one prefers).

I'm not arguing with you. There's no need to say "no". We don't really disagree (or not much).

First, I'll note that the word "primary" is your addition. That you (quite reasonably) feel a key lesson of the trials is that freedom of religion is important does not negate my claim that another lesson of that event is that the supposed "witches" were nothing of the sort.

But it's worth emphasizing that the people hanged for witchcraft weren't actually witches (even granting that the townsfolk would characterize Tituba's religion as witchcraft, she was set free), regardless of how many people today in Salem practice Wicca.

However, I would say that as important as it is that we respect freedom of religion, the most important lesson of the Salem witch trials is the human tendency to scapegoating and conspiracy theorizing.

This is why Arthur Miller wrote The Crucible. Do you know that one major objection critics had to Miller's play was that unlike the witches in 1692 Salem, there really were communists in the 1950s U.S.? But that ought to have been beside the point, because freedom of political assembly means that communism, foolish as it may be, is legal (so long as its adherent are not actually trying to overthrow the government). We are not only a nation of laws but of norms--and without the latter, wicked people are able to find lots of leeway in the former.

What happened in Salem, as in the Communist "witch hunts" 250 years later (and as often happens in totalitarian states), was that in order to avoid punishment, you not only had to confess to sins of which you were not guilty, but you had to implicate others.

Anyway, it's an interesting subject for Boston to tackle, and I look forward to seeing how their show develops.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

But it's worth emphasizing that the people hanged for witchcraft weren't actually witches (even granting that the townsfolk would characterize Tituba's religion as witchcraft, she was set free), regardless of how many people today in Salem practice Wicca.

However, I would say that as important as it is that we respect freedom of religion, the most important lesson of the Salem witch trials is the human tendency to scapegoating and conspiracy theorizing.

This is why Arthur Miller wrote The Crucible. Do you know that one major objection critics had to Miller's play was that unlike the witches in 1692 Salem, there really were communists in the 1950s U.S.? But that ought to have been beside the point, because freedom of political assembly means that communism, foolish as it may be, is legal (so long as its adherent are not actually trying to overthrow the government). We are not only a nation of laws but of norms--and without the latter, wicked people are able to find lots of leeway in the former.

What happened in Salem, as in the Communist "witch hunts" 250 years later (and as often happens in totalitarian states), was that in order to avoid punishment, you not only had to confess to sins of which you were not guilty, but you had to implicate others.

Anyway, it's an interesting subject for Boston to tackle, and I look forward to seeing how their show develops.

Good points all, in your reply. The government can be so overreaching sometimes in limiting people's religious or political beliefs and practices.... whether it was 1692 , 1950's or 2017. 1692 Salem was particularly odorous however as it led to genuine executions by the government for non conformity in the community. I'm biased as a Boston Crusaders supporter/ volunteer/ fan. but I do give a lot of credit to Boston for having the boldness and courage to hold a mirror up to themselves and to look at a period in their wonderful history of the pursuit of freedom and liberties, that was far removed from the preservation and promotion of individual liberties and freedoms. It was a thoroughly inhumane 10 year period in Colonial Massachusetts. Lessons hopefully to be learned from it.  For context, 1692 was almost 100 years removed from the Declaration of Independence, the signing of the US Constitution with its Bill of Rights, and the Separation of Church and State Doctrine provisions in these Documents... and almost 200 years before Slavery was abolished in the States.  I'm with you that it will be interesting to see how this show from Boston develops and evolves as the summer season unfolds.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Here is a link to my full review of last night's show.  All the corps were fantastic! 

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jonathan-willis/drum-bugle-corps-massillon-oh/10154434340700806/

Great review, Mr. Willis.  Thank you.  Definitely not on the same page as you regarding Cadets, but my only viewings have been online and in the theater.  I'll catch them in Allentown, so hopefully they can make a believer out of me so to speak.  

• Like 1