Massillon, Ohio 2017 version 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

This Cadets corps will clean dramatically and quickly over the next two weeks. The corps has a terrific attitude and the staff is ample and all over it

Monday and Tuesday they are learning the end of their show. Music and drill. They aren't adding it until July 8. It's a monster ending 

they have a ton of rehearsal time coming up... they will be hitting those dots in most cases a week from now

my "concern" is more about correctly identifying the changes and tweaks needed in the show. The final part of the 12/8 section needs changed big time. Some drill added and scatters taken out

i also think they need to slow it down and open up some space around all the features, crowd needs time to clap and interact with the corps. 

Great the corps is being much better received, just need to work hard and get it cleaner quickly, it is still very raw 

I'm about a third of the way through listening to Bernstein's original, and I wonder if Cadets have too much talk relative to music. So far, there's been maybe 30 seconds of speaking out of 40 minutes of music, but in Cadets' show there's probably 30 seconds of talking out of 12 minutes of music.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Wasn't Lentz their guard head a few years ago?

No. He wrote Boston's Programming Visuals for " Animal Farm " 2 season's ago.. However He and Boston came to an amicable parting of the ways at the end of that one season with Boston.

7 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Ok.. I do agree with you that the Cadets will make changes, and enhancements. But whats your point ? That Cadets will make changes, enhancements, but other Corps around them, won't ? As I'm not quite getting where you are going with this, frankly.

Your only mistake is thinking that I have a point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

No. He wrote Boston's Programming Visuals for " Animal Farm " 2 season's ago.. However He and Boston came to an amicable parting of the ways at the end of that one season with Boston.

Ah, thanks. I remembered his name in connection with Boston but couldn't remember the details. Of course, "Animal Farm" was actually . . .

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm about a third of the way through listening to Bernstein's original, and I wonder if Cadets have too much talk relative to music. So far, there's been maybe 30 seconds of speaking out of 40 minutes of music, but in Cadets' show there's probably 30 seconds of talking out of 12 minutes of music.

Yes!!

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Your only mistake is thinking that I have a point.

You could be entirely right with this insightful and honest reply... ( lol!)

• Like 1

More Content does not necessarily equal Better Scores.

It's something we often try to equate but frankly, the opposite is true just as often because more content means more show you have to clean, and that's assuming the added content is up to snuff from a design standpoint to begin with.

Hearing "there's another minute to put on the show!" every year from whichever corps is of no real interest to me, because the show is being judged as a full package night to night regardless.  You don't get extra points for adding time, you just give yourself a few more opportunities to expose strengths...but also weaknesses.  It can absolutely come back to bite you.

Of FAR greater import is when *design* changes happen to a show that is already done.  That's where you're far more likely to pick up points in captions like GE or Viz/Music Analysis.  Reworking moments to be more effective.

Edited by geluf
  • Like 3

Not going to do an in-depth review. I had a good time, but that stadium, with its reflective half-roof, is almost too "live" for early-season shows, when all the corps are not only rough (and thus muddy) but also playing pretty consistently at forte or better. When they're both cleaner and playing with much more dynamic control, it works quite well. Right now, I often felt like I was drowning in noise.

Also, every corps except Troopers was noticeably gassed in the later parts of their shows. Which probably means that Troopers' show isn't as difficult. But it still seemed at least as challenging (if perhaps less effective) than what they offered last year.

Bluecoats definitely could repeat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think the joke was that Kevin said he'd be reporting from the press box, so if that's where he was taking his "I have arrived" picture . . .

Im aware at this point. Ive just been to Massillon many times and was confused at how one could think of the stadium as a former baseball field

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Not going to do an in-depth review. I had a good time, but that stadium, with its reflective half-roof, is almost too "live" for early-season shows, when all the corps are not only rough (and thus muddy) but also playing pretty consistently at forte or better. When they're both cleaner and playing with much more dynamic control, it works quite well. Right now, I often felt like I was drowning in noise.

Also, every corps except Troopers was noticeably gassed in the later parts of their shows. Which probably means that Troopers' show isn't as difficult. But it still seemed at least as challenging (if perhaps less effective) than what they offered last year.

Bluecoats definitely could repeat.

Do Troopers do spring training in Casper? The 5,100' elevation prob helps a ton with their endurance.

Edited by tommynev