Corps member getting kicked out

58 minutes ago, CHRISP said:

I believe Bridgemen were 3rd in prelims, 4th in finals.

There was a running joke back in '77 that the tie that had 13 corps in finals was because Bayonne was disqualified and they wanted 12 corps for the albums.  All those youthful conspiracy theories we had.  Or maybe it's true...(raised eyebrow). :laughing:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tobias said:

And two years later when muchachos staff and top talent migrated to Bridgemen, same thing happened. A top 2 DCI corps outed by Phantom. They did exhibition at finals and a closed score (4th place) noted but were probably 2 if the shenanigans didn't occur. 

Nope, they competed, under court order, and placed 4th. DCI's agreement with Bayonne was that if they lost the appeal, Bridgemen would be erased from the Finals placement, but that no one else's placement would change (they may have amended that since, but for a long time, there was no 4th place listed for Finals).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Totally agree with your post.  I had forgot about the Canadian corps age issues.  

It was long rumored that most drum & bugle corps of the 60s and 70s were using a few overage kids.  In a few instances there were corps using more than a few.  That was supposedly the rumor with Muchachos. The urban legend, if you will, is that they had more than just a few overage kids. DCI found out they knew about it but did not report when they learned.  There was a rumor that DCI felt Muchachos chose to ignore the age restrictions and tried to get away with the crime.  This is why they were sent packing.  Again, I have no idea, but this was one of the long-held rumors.

In the case of Santa Clara in 1989, they did not discover the overage Brits until late in the season (might have been finals week, after quarters I think). SCV, from what I am told, did offer proof to DCI that they didn't know. I believe they showed DCI the copies of the licenses/ID they were given. So there was no disqualification, and SCV would go on to win the DCI Championship. 

Sadly, the rule that allows 22 year old marchers was not around until maybe in the 90s (I forget). 

I have never heard that Blue Devil rumor before...about the kid they supposedly kicked out before Finals, and then he snuck into the field and still marched finals. That's wild. 

I'm sure there are many kids over the years who have been sent packing for all kinds of things. Drugs, alcohol, bad behavior, sexual misconduct, fighting, etc.  

I remember 2000 well. they were doing the on field warmup and the kid came running down the hill...bass 2. battery started cheering when they saw him

16 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Nope, they competed, under court order, and placed 4th. DCI's agreement with Bayonne was that if they lost the appeal, Bridgemen would be erased from the Finals placement, but that no one else's placement would change (they may have amended that since, but for a long time, there was no 4th place listed for Finals).

Forgive me. You're correct about the court injunction. It has been a few years. Bridgemen turned many many heads that year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Forgive me. You're correct about the court injunction. It has been a few years. Bridgemen turned many many heads that year. 

Agreed, it was a great show (and still more fun to watch and listen to than most of the accredited Finalists that year).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

Agreed, it was a great show (and still more fun to watch and listen to than most of the accredited Finalists that year).

Absolutely! Talk about innovation:

1. Large streamer rainbow flags that looked amazing.

2. First to park n bark. Chase those tics away.

3. Low mark time. Hard to see false starts/stops. 

4. Dance

5. Amazing broadway music.

so ahead of their time.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tobias said:

A bunch of us kids in corps saw the injunction served in Boulder.  We didn't make finals so we were eating DQ and drinking Coors to drown our sorrow while watching the legal drama play out.  Weirdness. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

I remember 2000 well. they were doing the on field warmup and the kid came running down the hill...bass 2. battery started cheering when they saw him

I always felt there was something fishy about that, like how did he get his drum off the truck?

Everyone knew but yet…