Corps member getting kicked out

It wasn't until after my four years in the USAF (after learning from the Town Hall that my draft notice was arriving soon, I went out the back door with the AF) were up in late 70 that I learned other Boston Crusaders joined the USMC Reserves.  The guys all lived around the Lower Mills, while I was in a suburban town 15 or so miles away.  Did Basic Training during the off season, marched with the corps, and did their drill requirements.  I imagine Joe Dowling had contacts to work a deal to keep the kids around to march.

I wonder if any D&BC guys headed to Canada instead of being drafted, and marched with a Canadian Corps.  That would be interesting.

Edited by Ghost

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

If you stop and analyze this thread, we only have a handful of stories about people being asked to leave a corps during a season, and only a few are for behavior. Do people realize how rare this is? Just about any other activity involving young people between 16 and 22 has horror stories of drug use, alcohol abuse, belligerence, leaving sites without permission, unwanted sexual advances, etc. This says something about the kids involved in drum corps and those who recruit and select them. 

That’s not true at all

This sample size is too small to make such a claim

If we were to follow your train, no one posted anyone was kicked out over sex so does that mean sex doesn’t happen or is allowed?  

I know of many more incidents and some stuff people got away and then some staff stuff that I'm not spilling

The ones posted are all the biggies, the well known ones but only a few people are busting out their corps and none are telling what they got away with and several of the biggies are not mentioned like Cavies 77 which I only throw out as its well known too

• Like 1

Wasn't the crux of the Bridgemen one not so much the fact that some members were overaged, but WHEN they marched during the season?

I seem to recall this being discussed a while back.   Bridgemen contended that the rule could be interpreted to mean a member could march during the season UNTIL their 21st birthday, while DCI went with if they turned 21 at any tine during the season, they were out for the whole thing.

25 minutes ago, cowtown said:

That’s not true at all

This sample size is too small to make such a claim

If we were to follow your train, no one posted anyone was kicked out over sex so does that mean sex doesn’t happen or is allowed?  

I know of many more incidents and some stuff people got away and then some staff stuff that I'm not spilling

The ones posted are all the biggies, the well known ones but only a few people are busting out their corps and none are telling what they got away with and several of the biggies are not mentioned like Cavies 77 which I only throw out as its well known too

First, I know that we are not talking about perfect kids who do no wrong, and I am sure there are many incidents that happen we do not know. I also know supervision has not always been ideal, and I've heard the stories, some accurate and troubling, others tall tales, but there are huge differences between 1977 and today. 

Back in the day if kids got drunk underage, a good hangover would teach a lesson. Today, the adults involved would be held responsible and could face legal penalties and lawsuits.

Hazing was kids being kids. 

Back in the day, underage sexual activity or unwanted sexual advances may have had the director saying "Don't do that" if it was addressed at all. Today, it's a DA who does the talking while the police slap handcuffs on the accused.

Tofay, illegal substances could put an entire corps at risk.

I know some staff members got involved with marching members back in the day, but a few years ago a staff member of a corps was fired from his job for inappropriate contact with a student but the corps did not dismiss him and the DCP outcry was huge and I spoke with a parent who removed his daughter from the corps.

in 1977 there was no internet so things could be swept under the rug. Today, it gets broadcast.

I've worked with young people professionally in educational and religious settings since 1985. What passed for supervision even as little as fifteen years ago would not pass today. Liability insurance can skyrocket for any organization that has participants involved with illegal or questionable activities, even if an arrest or lawsuit is not involved. Colleges, elite prep schools, various sports activities frequently make the news for infractions,  many of which represent a small sample of young people but I've yet to see it happen with drum corps and hope 2017 is not when it happens.

• Like 1

So what happens if a member gets released for whatever reason? Do they get their tour fees paid back to them or are they out of luck? Do they have to sign something in regards to some sort of contract? Remember..they are NOT being paid to perform...they pay to perform.

There are also situations where a member during spring for whatever reason do not fit in or decides they can't take the pressure and just vanish. 

This happened my first year in when a contra player just disappeared from the apartment we all were living in. Eventually everyone found out he had went home but for a day or so we had no clue what had happened to him as everyone was looking. I think the corps contacted his family and they said the kid was coming home. 

16 minutes ago, afd said:

So what happens if a member gets released for whatever reason? Do they get their tour fees paid back to them or are they out of luck? Do they have to sign something in regards to some sort of contract? Remember..they are NOT being paid to perform...they pay to perform.

My kiddo's Guardians contract says if you are booted for breaking rules, no refund at all.  If you have to leave due to medical issues before June 1, you get a partial refund.  After June 1, no refunds at all, as the corps has already had to pay the deposits on room, board, etc.  Seems fair to me.

Mike

2 minutes ago, MikeN said:

My kiddo's Guardians contract says if you are booted for breaking rules, no refund at all.  If you have to leave due to medical issues before June 1, you get a partial refund.  After June 1, no refunds at all, as the corps has already had to pay the deposits on room, board, etc.  Seems fair to me.

Mike

Might this create an incentive for them to march with injuries they shouldn't march with?

3 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Mike

Yes that seems like what it should be. This is not a money making business much the opposite. So to have some rules in place after the corps has footed the bill for many things is only expected. 

I think the important lesson here kids it that as a bando, those in and around band assume, you’re all better than the rest. Odd, I know, right? And also as a bando, most non-band people assume you’re a dork and wouldn’t be up to anything ‘bad’. So, take full advantage of these wild perceptions, just don’t get caught. I know I did and didn’t:whistle: