Marvelous Minnesota, July 8

19 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

And once again those comments were made well before the scores were announced, not some excuse conjured up by people though that's a narrative that some people really seem to want to push.  

Who knew that accepting people's honest evaluations could be so complicated?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

No. It doesn't.  At least that's my answer if you  are a critic and a cynic.  It's simply the truth in GE.  And perspective can spread like a virus... Vanguard did something nearly unthinkable, before BD ever got the chance to try.  They stopped an avalanche of cool-slickness and pushed it all the way back up over the other side of the mountain.  That's pretty serious stuff and it made all the difference.  All because they convinced the right person to see things differently... That's what an alternative is.  That's how it works.

This is a very interesting comment. Time will tell if your analysis is correct, or if tonight's results turn out to be the anomaly.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

And once again those comments were made well before the scores were announced, not some excuse conjured up by people though that's a narrative that some people really seem to want to push.  

That's fine. I just think it's a serious discredit to SCV. At what point will SCV being close or beating Bloo in a show be SCV simply having a better show? 

I don't really care for SCV's show this year but I think all of this pre-emptive "wow that was a rough run" business is odd.

• Like 2

Just now, Cappybara said:

That's fine. I just think it's a serious discredit to SCV. At what point will SCV being close or beating Bloo in a show be SCV simply having a better show? 

I don't really care for SCV's show this year but I think all of this pre-emptive "wow that was a rough run" business is odd.

Well, I think what happened is that a bunch of people, during and after Bloo's run, legitimately felt it was rough--and about a dozen said so in this thread at that time. Turns out they were right to be concerned.

However, I will propose a possible explanation that hasn't come up: those people were so impressed by SCV's show that they looked at Bluecoats' show more critically than they previously had.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

It's not like they said man Bluecoats were bad if SCV wins tonight that's why.  They just said it had some issues with little to no mention of SCV.  

6 hours ago, whitedj2002 said:

Lol...they convinced the right person??? I believe the judges you mention could well be on on the panel come finals night.  As to cool slickness are you referring to bras and suspenders? You stated critic and cynic, I read both clearly in your post. Thanks for that clarification! 

You seem to be trying to pick an argument with someone who isn't making any argumentative claims...

Are you under the incorrect assumption that I am calling this panel a unique 'one-off' incident... that I am somehow 'throwing shade' on the judges?

I'm not.

It's funny after watching SCV and Bloo back to back. Bloo somehow feels a little "old hat" and stale and SCV feels like something new. I think this is because BC show is very similar to last year. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

It's funny after watching SCV and Bloo back to back. Bloo somehow feels a little "old hat" and stale and SCV feels like something new. I think this is because BC show is very similar to last year. 

Bloo's show is just fine, it's just that SCV's show is truly the Vanguard of the season.  Let's hope that they're recognized for the true metamorphosis that they are this season at the end of the season....

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ah, but was it the uniforms that were holding them back? (I have no idea, but this does feel a bit like people second-guessing last year's election. If only X had done Y! When actually it was Z that made the difference.) We'll see.

I don't look at 2017 as just a uniform change. It's a change in the package, and the uniforms are both a part of that and an important symbol of that. You might still be correct that Z is a problem, but I think the Scouts think they're trying to address all X, Y, and Z.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

And SCV is a refresh of winning designs from 10+ years ago.  Gaines is quite simply one of the (if not the) most engaging drill writers in the history of drumcorps.  In a way, I'm glad to see SCV do well here as a vindication that 'new' design strategies aren't needed to win.

• Like 3