Marvelous Minnesota, July 8

3 minutes ago, cdave said:

Thanks to all of you who took time to give positive commentary to Pio.The kids are working hard, just like all the others and appreciate the love!

I've seen Les Mis several times in national productions, and I think Pio does it justice. I liked the Joan show last year, and I very much enjoyed their show this year! One of the visual things I enjoyed is how they turn their panels into the Les Mis barricade and use of banners. That felt like broadway.

Also, I think a number of other corps could learn a couple things from Pioneer about integrating vocals...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I have heard that some of the better high school band programs even now (though not about those schools specifically) that thevy hate losing members to drum corps during their own camps. But one way or the other, if that is the problem MBI is facing, they're going to have to figure out a solution.

Two of the most consistently strong competitive band programs in MN (Rosemount and Eden Prairie) are headed by drum corps alums of some notoriety. Rosemount is headed by Ben Harloff (Star of Indiana alum and on staff of Carolina Crown) and Eden Prairie is lead by Scott Palmer (Madison Scouts alum and on staff of Blue Devils of Concord, California.)

5 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

You seem to be trying to pick an argument with someone who isn't making any argumentative claims...

Are you under the incorrect assumption that I am calling this panel a unique 'one-off' incident... that I am somehow 'throwing shade' on the judges?

I'm not.

You seem to "jab and poke" with your bias comments, and then say your opinion provokes incorrect assumptions...

you said...

1. ...Vanguard did something nearly unthinkable--- so says - you?...how arrogant imo

2.  ...All because they convinced the right person to see things differently--- such duplicity!...they the judging panel? ...more than "1 person"--- fans??

3. ...alternative point of view tonight?? lmao, your prose incite and I'll take the bait... again, I say your opinion sounds more like Sean Spicer/ Kellyanne Conway alternative what!!! please...

I hear your "BLOO alum pride", Congratulations! 

In the chronological timeline of the forums it is easy to misunderstand or overstate. I suggest opinions  often do both...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

You seem to "jab and poke" with your bias comments, and then say your opinion provokes incorrect assumptions...

you said...

1. ...Vanguard did something nearly unthinkable--- so says - you?...how arrogant imo

2.  ...All because they convinced the right person to see things differently--- such duplicity!...they the judging panel? ...more than "1 person"--- fans??

3. ...alternative point of view tonight?? lmao, your prose incite and I'll take the bait... again, I say your opinion sounds more like Sean Spicer/ Kellyanne Conway alternative what!!! please...

I hear your "BLOO alum pride", Congratulations! 

In the chronological timeline of the forums it is easy to misunderstand or overstate. I suggest opinions  often do both...

You are way off in your assumptions.

Way... Off.

It looks like you are trying to pin some sort of 'I told you so' narrative on a Bluecoat fan... I'm not sure why you picked me.  But none of my comments were written with the tone, slant or intent that you seem bent on receiving.

Bluecoats got beat... In GE. That's hard to do. Simple as that.

I don't care if the Bluecoats end up in 4th... Just don't care.

You should insert that tone and go back and read my comments again without your contemptuous presumptions (unintended as they may be)... If you care to be right.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Piggy backing off another poster asking about the show

What is jagged line besides the stage?  Why are there tarps on the field? What is the GE besides hip shakes and electronic modified horn solos?

Hey....

;)

6 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Piggy backing off another poster asking about the show

What is jagged line besides the stage?  Why are there tarps on the field? What is the GE besides hip shakes and electronic modified horn solos?

Honestly the show description explains it super well. 

http://bluecoats.com/2017-program-jagged-line/

the surface level definition of jagged like (that is, the literal thing) is simply explained in the first paragraph. The deeper meaning of the show is explained in the rest. 

Some may say, "well how is the audience going to know this deeper meaning without reading the show description?" And I counter that with: why does the casual fan need to know every single detail behind where a corps' GE scores are coming from? The nice thing about Bloo's shows is that they have both a surface level and deeper meaning to them and knowing the surface level is enough to still enjoy the show. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Honestly the show description explains it super well. 

http://bluecoats.com/2017-program-jagged-line/

the surface level definition of jagged like (that is, the literal thing) is simply explained in the first paragraph. The deeper meaning of the show is explained in the rest. 

Some may say, "well how is the audience going to know this deeper meaning without reading the show description?" And I counter that with: why does the casual fan need to know every single detail behind where a corps' GE scores are coming from? The nice thing about Bloo's shows is that they have both a surface level and deeper meaning to them and knowing the surface level is enough to still enjoy the show. 

It's not even the deeper meaning that is the problem. I had first viewers last night come over to watch and they said what's jagged besides a prop. Downside up was obvious with the use of props and how they manipulated them. The previous 3 years of using their props for effect helped because they were moveable/could change facing to be used a different way. Jagged stage is that itself a stage. Could have called the show Broadway and would have made as much sense with what the guard and corps wears. There isn't really anything drill wise representing jagged line compared to say SCV snake drill and circles rippling into itself. We watched from Madison on and our viewing party understood like 2 shows and said that they didn't like it because they didn't understand it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

It's not even the deeper meaning that is the problem. I had first viewers last night come over to watch and they said what's jagged besides a prop. Downside up was obvious with the use of props and how they manipulated them. The previous 3 years of using their props for effect helped because they were moveable/could change facing to be used a different way. Jagged stage is that itself a stage. Could have called the show Broadway and would have made as much sense with what the guard and corps wears. There isn't really anything drill wise representing jagged line compared to say SCV snake drill and circles rippling into itself. We watched from Madison on and our viewing party understood like 2 shows and said that they didn't like it because they didn't understand it. 

Again I point to the first paragraph. And yes, there are jagged drill forms

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1