Marvelous Minnesota, July 8

1 minute ago, whitedj2002 said:

anyone else as amused as I?

LMAO

so telling...

What is your deal?  I have long said that drill centric shows can still win it all.  It has been a criticism that shows that depend heavily on drill aren't able to complete as well anymore.  I have always disagreed and there it is... Vanguard took GE with some great drill.

I don't understand where this nononsense of yours is coming from.  The Bluecoats have not been at the top nearly long enough to have alumni of the sort that you want so badly to think that I am.

19 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

BTW, just realized the SCV beat Bloo in GE last night (I realize I am probably the last one to realize that).  SCV came from .8 down the night before to overtake them by .2 last night.  Wow, that's quite the swing!

Yeah and while I give them credit for it... someone keeps telling me that I'm a Bluecoat hack... :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• Like 1

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

Yeah and while I give them credit for it... someone keeps telling me that I'm a Bluecoat hack... :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A DCI artistic director and adjudicator once told me that on any given night, if the corps is within .25 of a caption, they are generally in the same ballpark.  Anything over that would indicate a difference that would be more than noticeable by even the casual observer.    So, for there to be a 1 point swing in GE between Bloo and SCV from one night to the next at their percentile, that is about as significant of a caption swing that you'll likely see.

1 minute ago, drumcorpsfever said:

A DCI artistic director and adjudicator once told me that on any given night, if the corps is within .25 of a caption, they are generally in the same ballpark.  Anything over that would indicate a difference that would be more than noticeable by even the casual observer.    So, for there to be a 1 point swing in GE between Bloo and SCV from one night to the next at their percentile, that is about as significant of a caption swing that you'll likely see.

Yep. About .2-.25... and about 1.5-2 points in total score at the very most.  Although that's probably pushing it these days with such dense competition.  I would suggest that a swing like that can only happen in GE.  That's the Bluecoats' Achilles' heel... their nearly exclusive dependency on GE.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Totally agree! 

For some people, Jagged Line may not be their cup of tea. No biggy. That happens in this activity.  I find it interesting when people want to look for some deep meaning in the show. "Hey, there are no jagged lines in the horn drill, and the drumline is not doing a jagged step."  "I just can't enjoy this show now."

The entertainment aspect of Bloo is really simple. Great brass line playing great charts. Great percussion laying down some awesome grooves. Great guard providing a sense of style, action, and emotion to the show. Great staging, and simply great performance levels. Even if I hated the jagged stage (I do like it) I would have plenty to keep me entertained. 

Unfortunately when we argue over who should beat who we often begin to nitpick in order to prop one show up and put the other down. I am guilty of this, as are many of us. 

I stated this earlier and I will state it again, if Bloo is guilty of anything right now it's inconsistent performances. The show is great. It may not appeal to all, but I generally think most drum corps fans will enjoy it.  However, they have had consistency issues.  Consistency issues in performance, setup, electronics, etc. can cause a problem, but you are who you are. At least for now they are an inconsistent performing corps. That leaves them open to inconsistent scoring and to getting beat, even when you have the talent they have. Bluecoats fans should make no excuses today. Win or lose (and nobody really loses in drum corps) SCV beat Bloo fair and square. The reasons are not important.  The sun will rise and there will be more competitions.  Maybe Bloo bounces back. Maybe SCV is that good and ready to make a move for a title. 

We could use posters like you in the Chop and Paste BD thread going on right now 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

And once again those comments were made well before the scores were announced, not some excuse conjured up by people though that's a narrative that some people really seem to want to push.  

I would like to add that there are some people here who have seen the corps a lot from Spring Training through multiple ensemble rehearsals and multiple live shows in addition to live streams. Many of us have noticed that this years's corps hasn't been consistent as far as runs go. When some of us note the roughness in a run we are expressing concern because this is becoming a problem. We do not intend it a an explaination nor as an excuse. We want it fixed.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, CDUB said:

2. Similar to 1, it seems to me that the show designs are getting more and more abstract.  I'm not sure that I followed a single show from last night (although I missed Blue Star due to Flo problems).  What exactly is going on in SCV's show? Don't even get me started on Phantom Regiment, which looks and sounds like a glorified mess.  I feel like I need a libretto for each show.  My advice to the corps would be to stop trying to chase Blue Devils.  That corps has, somehow, figured out how to put an abstract, complex show on the field.  These other corps have essentially mortgaged their identity to try to chase points and become more like BD.  PR, I am looking directly at you.

I see Phantom's show as pretty straight-up music + movement and haven't even wondered if it had some sort of theme. I mean, almost all shows used to be abstract: no story, no narration, just playing and marching.

11 hours ago, Cappybara said:

That's fine. I just think it's a serious discredit to SCV. At what point will SCV being close or beating Bloo in a show be SCV simply having a better show? 

I don't really care for SCV's show this year but I think all of this pre-emptive "wow that was a rough run" business is odd.

For the record, I have congratulated SCV on their well deserved win on three separate threads. I don't believe in excuse making. Observing  Bluecoats are having rough runs is just that -- objective observations. Like I said above, for many Bluecoats fans, the rough runs are happening a bit too often ... we are hoping that the corps becomes more consistent. That takes nothing away from SCV's victory. They were the better corps last night.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer