Marvelous Minnesota, July 8

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

What is jagged line besides the stage?  Why are there tarps on the field? What is the GE besides hip shakes and electronic modified horn solos?

My answers would be: (1) I don't care much about show titles in the first place, so this doesn't interest me at all. (2) Again, they don't get in the way of the show, so I don't care. (3) Having seen the show with a live audience twice, I can tell you they were very engaged--and not just because one of those shows was in Bluecoats' backyard--and since engagement is mentioned on the G.E. sheets...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Regarding the Bluecoats and Jagged Edge - looking for jagged lines, props, movement, etc...

I honestly could care less about looking for a meaning in Bloo's show.  That's kind of the point of their production.  You don't need a program to understand a deeper meaning.   There really is none.  It's just pure entertainment.    If they toss in some obvious jagged lines, and find a way to levitate their huge prop with all 150 on it at the same time and fly jaggedly all over the field, great.      But I love the show the way it is.   I truly think that if you just enjoy the show for what it is without looking for a deeper meaning, formations, or even comparing to last year, you'll enjoy this great show a heck of a lot more.     It's still the show to beat in my opinion.

Should have read ahead and just quoted this post.

• Like 1

By the way, I don't care about the theme in SCV's show either. Whatever helps a corps put together a great piece of entertainment is fine. One regular poster here went on and on a few years ago about how "The Chairman Dances", because it was originally written about Mao, was highly inappropriate for Blue Stars' show about the comforts of family life. Ridiculous. Someone else back in May whined here that he didn't want to have to go reading about the myth of the Ouroboros just to understand SCV's show. The beauty of it is: you don't have to!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

No you cannot. An 81.9 in Orlando doesn't mean an 81.9 in Minnesota or Seattle. 

Of course, everyone knows that you multiply each show's score by the cube root of the longitude and square root of the latitude in order to get numbers to compare. Duh.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

anyone else as amused as I?

LMAO

so telling...

The silence... is deafening.

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Of course, everyone knows that you multiply each show's score by the cube root of the longitude and square root of the latitude in order to get numbers to compare. Duh.

Hahaha. Good one. It's going to be interesting in San Antonio, that's for sure.

48 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Totally agree! 

For some people, Jagged Line may not be their cup of tea. No biggy. That happens in this activity.  I find it interesting when people want to look for some deep meaning in the show. "Hey, there are no jagged lines in the horn drill, and the drumline is not doing a jagged step."  "I just can't enjoy this show now."

The entertainment aspect of Bloo is really simple. Great brass line playing great charts. Great percussion laying down some awesome grooves. Great guard providing a sense of style, action, and emotion to the show. Great staging, and simply great performance levels. Even if I hated the jagged stage (I do like it) I would have plenty to keep me entertained. 

Unfortunately when we argue over who should beat who we often begin to nitpick in order to prop one show up and put the other down. I am guilty of this, as are many of us. 

I stated this earlier and I will state it again, if Bloo is guilty of anything right now it's inconsistent performances. The show is great. It may not appeal to all, but I generally think most drum corps fans will enjoy it.  However, they have had consistency issues.  Consistency issues in performance, setup, electronics, etc. can cause a problem, but you are who you are. At least for now they are an inconsistent performing corps. That leaves them open to inconsistent scoring and to getting beat, even when you have the talent they have. Bluecoats fans should make no excuses today. Win or lose (and nobody really loses in drum corps) SCV beat Bloo fair and square. The reasons are not important.  The sun will rise and there will be more competitions.  Maybe Bloo bounces back. Maybe SCV is that good and ready to make a move for a title. 

I agree with you. I LOVE Bluecoats. And one of the reasons I love them is I don't have to spend 4 hours studying to understand the meaning of their show. It's just very good drill, very good guard, drums and horns. Very very good all around. Their show last year was so innovative and you can see how it has changed the activity after 1 year. They should be very proud of that. They played their own game last year and won. Now many others are playing their game.

Re: inconsistent performances - I think everyone is having them right now, not just Bluecoats. Some inconsistency's are more visible than others. For example, I felt the hold park and blow crazy run section in SCV's show, towards the end (which is probably my single most musical moment of the year) was off last night. It's still early in the respect that performers are getting things under their feet, and when you have complex shows like Bluecoats and SCV that's bound to happy.

My opinion is both Bluecoats and SCV will be right there fighting for #1 come finals. No doubt, BD will be right there too, and maybe Crown.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

My answers would be: (1) I don't care much about show titles in the first place, so this doesn't interest me at all. (2) Again, they don't get in the way of the show, so I don't care. (3) Having seen the show with a live audience twice, I can tell you they were very engaged--and not just because one of those shows was in Bluecoats' backyard--and since engagement is mentioned on the G.E. sheets...

Having something and not using is also apart of the GE sheets. Why is it there and do they use it in relation to music/ visual.  I learned the hard way designing a show around a prop that couldn't be used through out the show effectively. And for a show a judge didn't get our spiel sheet and said in critique i didn't understand your show because I didn't have a title for the show. So that does aid the judge in understanding and scoring. 

40 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

What is your deal?  I have long said that drill centric shows can still win it all.  It has been a criticism that shows that depend heavily on drill aren't able to complete as well anymore.  I have always disagreed and there it is... Vanguard took GE with some great drill.

I don't understand where this nononsense of yours is coming from.  The Bluecoats have not been at the top nearly long enough to have alumni of the sort that you want so badly to think that I am.

After rereading our posts starting last night I wonder how I even took the bait...

...my deal? ...I suppose, to me it's about principle. This all started with asking you to clarify, and boy did you!

Words matter, and again, IMO your wrong on many levels you don't wont understand

I choose to disagree with everything you typed, we have both made ourselves clear.

done? Done!

1 minute ago, whitedj2002 said:

After rereading our posts starting last night I wonder how I even took the bait...

...my deal? ...I suppose, to me it's about principle. This all started with asking you to clarify, and boy did you!

Words matter, and again, IMO your wrong on many levels you don't wont understand

I choose to disagree with everything you typed, we have both made ourselves clear.

done? Done!

There is/was no bait.

:dozingoff: