VOICE OVERS

Can we do better? It seems that so few outdoors or indoors groups do this well. The fidelity and production value has to be high or it is a HUGE turn off for me.

Seriously, it seems that the process most often goes something like this- "Hey, let's get on the voice over thing. Who is the youngest girl in the group with no life experiences? Yep, her, let's get her to do it."

I get that someone may think that if it is a kid in the group, or someone's sister, or niece, the winner of this year's county fair popsicle stick sculpture contest that there will be some heart connection to the members. It needs to sound authentic, believable, and like real to every audience member, not just to the kid's aunt Martha that baked and sold all those snickerdoodles at the church bazaar to raise funds for Veronica Voiceover's tour fees. 

• Like 5

THIS!      

OMG, I have coffee shooting out of my nose. This made my morning, "the winner of this year's county fair popsicle stick sculpture contest".  I TOTALLY AGREE!

• Like 1

Oregon Crusaders had a GREAT voiceover using James Earl Jones' voice a few years ago for their Raven show but they never quite had him as loud as I would have liked him to be.

• Like 1

This issue can be resolved by eliminating electronics from the field completely.

• Like 6

Voice overs can make or break a show, that's for sure. It is rare that they are done well. The fewer the words, the better. Clear and effective. Not over the top of a million other things or fortissimo volume levels. 

• Like 1

Literally never had any issues with BD's voiceovers, they're always very professional sounding because they're smart enough to know not to do it live through an MM. 

I hate live voiceovers/narration. The only time live voiceovers have ever been done well is Cadets 2014, and that dude was a professional. 

• Like 2

Boston Crusaders this year is a textbook example of how to layer them into a show IMO.  They are literally built into and part of the music which is pretty awesome and I think they're well done/convincing.   That one right before the ballad where there is a gap in the music and a rifle toss caught RIGHT on WITCH!  Is awesome. 

Blue Knights 2014 also falls into my small club of shows where I think they can be an awesome tool in a show.  

• Like 5

After seeing Cascades, I think they fit into this discussion as example of weak fidelity and production value of a voice over. I do like the show and think they are much better this year. I don't think they need to rethink using the voice over, but I do hope this version is filler for now and they find someone who can help produce a much more believable and professional voice over.