3 SHADES OF BLUE and friends Denver, Co

14 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

It may well be that Down Side Up was just so different that the followup isn't as compelling by comparison. But I will also admit that there is a ton of follow the leader in Jagged Line. A ton. Musically it blows my mind. Performances blow my mind. But drill is not running into and out of a stage, in as much as I love it personally.

Is drill running circles around and standing on podiums of steps?  What's the difference?

23 minutes ago, geluf said:

The difference between 1995 and now in terms of design and judging criteria is so vast we might as well be talking Baseball vs. Football.

Well, no kidding. This was done in jest. Makes me laugh that this forum turns into sports radio where we become a prisoner of the moment with declarations of the game is over, that's all. :-)

5 minutes ago, Usually Mistified said:

The Judging panel makes a big difference, Caleb Rothe single handily gave BD the championship in 2015. 

This is not even close to correct.

Rothe, who was on Percussion 2 that night, put BD in 1st with a 19.8

Jeff Prosperie, who was on Percussion 1, put them in 2nd with a 19.6

A difference of .2 between the two judges.

Now, BD won by a margin of .575

Percussion 1 and 2 are averaged before being added to the score, so BD came away with a net 19.7 in percussion.

That number is then HALVED (because all captions but GE are halved).

Both Prosperie and Rothe agreed that Crown was 5th in percussion, and SCV was 4th.

The margin between Rothe's 1st place and 3rd place scores was .4, but had an effective value of .1 (halved into the percussion score, then halved again into the music score).

In order for Rothe to have thrown BD a .575 advantage, he would have had to have given them a score of 22.  Which is, of course, impossible.

BD didn't even win Music by much (.15).  They had a larger margin in Visual (.4).

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, tommynev said:

Is drill running circles around and standing on podiums of steps?  What's the difference?

To b fair, there are some really difficult marching blocks that BD is doing very well. I don't know that Bluecoats has a single drill moment in which the entire playing corps is marching in one moving unit, unless they are following the leader. Which they probably do six or seven times.

Blue Devils design team knows not only how t design to the sheets, they know how to communicate what their intent is to the judges. This show is literally built to appeal to the judges, because it celebrates the history of drum corps. I mean, switching how snares hold their sticks? Who would catch that from the stands or even care? But that's what Scott and his team do, they build in all of these ideas and then tell the judges they are doing them. Again, this is what winning designers do and no one is more intentional about it than BD.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

If Rothe would have put BD second in percussion, they still score 97.250 and win. Sooooooo............

It wouldn't have even been THAT low.  If Rothe had used his 2nd place score (a 19.5) for BD, the actual effect on BD's overall score would have given them a 97.575.  A difference of less than a tenth.

A change by .3 from Rothe accounts for less than a tenth of the final overall score because percussion is averaged before being cut in half.  The chart gives you 20 points, but it's really 10 points, and then it's really 5 for the drum judges apiece.

Edited by geluf
  • Like 1

Just now, geluf said:

It wouldn't have even been THAT low.  If Rothe had used his 2nd place score (a 19.5) for BD, the actual effective on BD's overall score would have given them a 97.575.

A change by .3 from Rothe only accounts for less than a tenth of the final overall score.

Forgive me. I have a Los Angeles public school education. Lol.

• Like 3

Just now, Chief Guns said:

It's an easy mistake to make because percussion is the only caption outside of GE that has 2 judges.  Drum judges only really have 5 points of influence over the total score (10 points when there's just one of them).  So each individual percussion judge actually has less power than literally every other judge on the field/in the box.

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

Still not as bad as Oklahoma public education.