3 SHADES OF BLUE and friends Denver, Co

***sigh**

I just checked the recaps...

No point in complaining, but I'd like to...

5 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I am just going off what i was told. I got ripped apart by Crown fans in 2015 when one of the guard members had a exposed drop and i commented on it. I swear everyone from Ft Mill SC came after me and i was told that it's about the recovery and not the drop. 

I'm sorry that happened. Personally, I think, based on comments like those you describe, that judges probably reward "recovery" too much. But I don't know for sure.

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, yes, sort of. But I was responding to the claim that BD has the best performers. If they did last year, then they would have won one or more of the performance caption awards. As I'm sure you know, that didn't happen. Admittedly that's based on a three-night average.

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=211129395 

Now I suppose there's an argument to be made that corps should be thought of as like decathlon athletes, who don't need to be first in any one of their sub-events to be best overall.

And I wouldn't deny that BD almost always has the best performers.

That's not a great measuring stick anyway, and the OP's claim was "most talented".

Having marched shows that won caption awards, I wouldn't say we were the most talented if you lined us up player to player with other corps. We just managed to perform our show extremely well.

None of the top corps have a monopoly on talent.

Edited by dcsnare93

1 hour ago, Usually Mistified said:

I must have missed when it was announced that we moved back to tic system? Oh wait

if you actually understood the sheets, you'd know that in today's judging, the recovery of a mistake is emphasized more than the mistake itself

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

To be fair, there are some really difficult marching blocks that BD is doing very well. I don't know that Bluecoats has a single drill moment in which the entire playing corps is marching in one moving unit, unless they are following the leader. Which they probably do six or seven times.

Blue Devils' design team knows not only how to design to the sheets; they know how to communicate what their intent is to the judges. This show is literally built to appeal to the judges, because it celebrates the history of drum corps. I mean, switching how snares hold their sticks? Who would catch that from the stands or even care? But that's what Scott and his team do, they build in all of these ideas and then tell the judges they are doing them. Again, this is what winning designers do and no one is more intentional about it than BD.

A few thoughts.

I hadn't heard about that bit with the sticks. It sounds cool. That sort of information should be disseminated more to the fans.

On the other hand: do the drums sound any different when they do that? And if not, is it a difference without a point?

But beyond all that: maybe what Bluecoats really need to work on is their conversations with the judges? It seems like PR is pretty important!

And I don't mean that to sound derogatory. I work for a performing arts company. We need people to buy tickets to our shows. I have seen plenty of great shows that couldn't draw a crowd and plenty of mediocre shows that sold like crazy. And likewise more than one occasion where the critics (closest thing in many arts to DCI judges) panned the former and praised the latter. Conveying just the right information beforehand to the audience and the judge is key.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

if you actually understood the sheets, you'd know that in today's judging, the recovery of a mistake is emphasized more than the mistake itself

Which is kinda dumb. But noted. Better to make a mistake and fix it than not to make a mistake at all.

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Which is kinda dumb. But noted. Better to make a mistake and fix it than not to make a mistake at all.

Is that the case though? I don't think anyone is saying it's better to make the mistake 

BD has found a formula that both scores really well while also entertaining general audiences, which is something they really struggled with around 2012-2013. They have impeccable technique and make their stuff look effortless, which is a big part of why so many people incorrectly claim what they do is so easy. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

***sigh**

I just checked the recaps...

No point in complaining, but I'd like to...

Yeah... Unfortunately for Bloo, that was some fairly consistent judging, and it seems to align with what we have seen between the presumed top 4 groups so far.

Really unfortunate for Bloo is that they aren't currently competitive in GE against BD with that spread.  In fact, the only competitive area is the one that Bloo won... And that means that they are just as likely to lose that as well.  The situation feels a lot like 2014.

Things can change, but the judging there didn't yield many discrepancies to point to.

BD has a ton of GE built in to the musical book... It is what it is and the comparison won't change through the rest of the season.  The goal for Bloo, SCV and Crown will have to be to present a more cohesive GE than BD.

If BD was to be viewed as a one-trick pony (and they shouldn't)... They are REALLY good at their trick.

If Crown could manage to capture a brass win over BD, that might effectively dent their GE margin.  I'm curious to see how they all mix together on the sheets. A broader perspective for the judges might be key to narrowing the gaps to make the top spot competitive.  Right now, it's not.

• Like 3