3 SHADES OF BLUE and friends Denver, Co

Just now, dcsnare93 said:

On finals night yes, but captions are averaged over all 3 nights.

Yes, I know.

The original post posited that BD has the most talented group on the field.  A reply came in asking if they won any captions, the implied comeback being "obviously they don't".

Neither here nor there to me on that front, but on finals night they did score higher than anyone else in those areas, and that was the last word on them for the season.  Which was my entire point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cube said:

BD's show has no visual content whatsoever compared to pretty much any other top corps. Why they're scoring so high is beyond me. I'd place them near Crown. Maybe that's why I'm not a judge.

As I've said before, DCI would do fans a great service by making at least some judges' comments public, or failing that, by doing more to explain to audiences why certain things whose value might not be self-evident to laypersons scores well.

1 hour ago, cube said:

It just seems like BD parks and plays almost the entire show.

Maybe watch a little more closely next time?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, geluf said:

Yes, I know.

The original post posited that BD has the most talented group on the field.  A reply came in asking if they won any captions, the implied comeback being "obviously they don't".

Neither here nor there to me on that front, but on finals night they did score higher than anyone else in those areas, and that was the last word on them for the season.  Which was my entire point.

I should probably also take this moment to disclose that the practice of awarding captions based on an average of the 3 nights has always stuck me as weird and is something I'd be fine with doing away with.  We don't award the medals based on an average of 3 nights, why the captions?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, geluf said:

I should probably also take this moment to disclose that the practice of awarding captions based on an average of the 3 nights has always stuck me as weird and is something I'd be fine with doing away with.  We don't award the medals based on an average of 3 nights, why the captions?

Prior to 2001 it wasn't done this way either. The reasoning I usually see floated is to off-set variance in opinion from night to night. I don't really buy that, though.

If they're going to average, it should be a weighted average (each successive night more than the previous).

Edited by dcsnare93

53 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I knew this was coming. From what all the visual DCP experts have said over the years, it's not about the fall, its the recovery. Just like a CG member dropping a rifle, it's about the recovery. 

Almost seems like a corps might be better off deliberately having a member fall or a guard drop, so that they can demonstrate recovery.

(BD '14 had one huge drop in the guard whose recovery was really not so good, but never mind.)

45 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

Not only that, but the line wasn't even playing when it happened.

Ah, but as other posts have already established, the percussion score was beside the point. But visual on the other hand...

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Almost seems like a corps might be better off deliberately having a member fall or a guard drop, so that they can demonstrate recovery.

(BD '14 had one huge drop in the guard whose recovery was really not so good, but never mind.)

I am just going off what i was told. I got ripped apart by Crown fans in 2015 when one of the guard members had a exposed drop and i commented on it. I swear everyone from Ft Mill SC came after me and i was told that it's about the recovery and not the drop. 

24 minutes ago, geluf said:

Color Guard, Visual Analysis and Total Visual.

Well, yes, sort of. But I was responding to the claim that BD has the best performers. If they did last year, then they would have won one or more of the performance caption awards. As I'm sure you know, that didn't happen. Admittedly that's based on a three-night average.

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=211129395 

Now I suppose there's an argument to be made that corps should be thought of as like decathlon athletes, who don't need to be first in any one of their sub-events to be best overall.

And I wouldn't deny that BD almost always has the best performers.

15 minutes ago, geluf said:

Maybe on similar grounds that are used to argue that it's better to screw up and recover than not to screw up in the first place?