3 SHADES OF BLUE and friends Denver, Co

2 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

You don't catch 90% of the details in any show. 

But also: what's an easter egg, by definition? A gift to longtime fans—not judges. Just like easter eggs in a superhero movie are for the audience, not the critics. 

Wasn't there quite recently a thread here about how judges are also fans?

10 hours ago, cube said:

It just seems like BD parks and plays almost the entire show.

I've heard this every season for the past 8 years.  We must be watching different shows.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

What is difficult about drum corps for me, having worked in performing arts my whole career, is that in music and drama, what is "gotten" by the crowd on the stage live is all that matters. And that is not the case with drum corps. That makes it hard to understand why one corps scores better than another.

And as the activity grows, it will most certainly grow with people who have precisely no clue about the history of drum corps, and really don't care about how someone grips a drum stick. Transparency is the key at dci. They have to get proactive about explaining the whys of scoring. Otherwise, people will get frustrated, and not be as convinced as we would like them to be that performance is all that matters.

To be fair, I frequently have the same problem with judged sports in the Olympics, yet those are often most popular.

Another comparison might be to the Oscars, which frequently ignore the films that make the most money.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

I think Bloo kinda shot themselves in the foot by coming out with such a refined show.  I feel the show has peaked.  I think the staff will probably feel that too, despite Bloo being *slightly* new to championship level competition, the staff isn't.  I expect many new changes to come out of Canton, many people declaring Bloo out of the fight, but I couldnt disagree more.  This will push them, and I still see potential for that ballad.

Bloo has definitely already changed parts of their show, whether by original intent or in response to the judges.

2 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Why is it when BD wins people complain about "standing", "no demand", and "only playing to the judges"? Last year's Bluecoats show barely marched (stood/sat the whole ballad), demand was hip swaying and 1 forced arch, and only won GE which is based really on the judges. 

Simple. 17 titles to 1. When you have won as much as BD has, it doesn't matter what you do. We are at a point where BD is a victim of their own success. 3-4 years ago BD was getting murdered on DCP for chopping up music. Now they are playing full music and still they aren't liked. Visual huh? Guarantee you when BD does a show going 225 bpm the whole show people still won't like it. BD has won too many times and people outside of BD Nation are sick of it. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

Yep, the season is over. 
1995%20corpsreps-scores.png

Pretty funny that I've read a number of people on these forums--people I don't think of as BD devotees--who think their "Carpe Noctem" show should have won that year.

2 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Simple. 17 titles to 1. When you have won as much as BD has, it doesn't matter what you do. We are at a point where BD is a victim of their own success. 3-4 years ago BD was getting murdered on DCP for chopping up music. Now they are playing full music and still they aren't liked. Visual huh? Guarantee you when BD does a show going 225 bpm the whole show people still won't like it. BD has won too many times and people outside of BD Nation are sick of it. 

That's part of it, but not all of it. BD frequently but not often over the past decade has taken a deliberately esoteric approach that by its very nature is not going to be as widely appealing. They're not the only ones. Notice a number of people praising BK's performance who are nonetheless a bit turned off by their design.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Minimaster said:

Is anybody going to talk about the lack of simultaneous responsibility in BD's show?

Just watch the brass, they do 1 minute of marching and playing at the same time (mostly slow/halftime).

There is literally nothing there...

Did you talk about this in Bloo's show last year?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That's part of it, but not all of it. BD frequently but not often over the past decade has taken a deliberately esoteric approach that by its very nature is not going to be as widely appealing. They're not the only ones. Notice a number of people praising BK's performance who are nonetheless a bit turned off by their design.

Good point. I can agree with that.

• Like 1