Beauteous Birmingham - July 27

8 hours ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

Full review will have to wait till tomorrow. I leave for Nashville around 10:30, so it should be up in the morning. Overall a wonderful showing by all groups! To me all of these corps are on higher levels then last year, which is a great thing! I'll be doing quick little comments in Nashville as well.

Thanks to all of you who provided in-person commentary. Keep it up!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Majority of people on here don't like it. 

I don't like Boston's show just matter of opinion. 

I'm glad to see Boston have a great year but I agree, apart from the fire effect the show hasn't really grown on me -- 

The show is visually very well designed and I appreciate the flow and transitions -- but I really am not impressed with the sound of Boston's hornline? They have the musicality of an industrial pressure washer - laser tone capable of peeling the paint off every pressbox on tour - 

Don't get me started on the lip-synched singing.

3 minutes ago, Polonius said:

I'm glad to see Boston have a great year but I agree, apart from the fire effect the show hasn't really grown on me -- 

The show is visually very well designed and I appreciate the flow and transitions -- but I really am not impressed with the sound of Boston's hornline? They have the musicality of an industrial pressure washer - laser tone capable of peeling the paint off every pressbox on tour - 

Don't get me started on the lip-synched singing.

OK so you don't like Gino's horn line. Fine.  But I am happy to get you started on what you allege to be lip synching. That's a pretty strong accusation and insult to the singer. You have proof of this ? Or are you just throwing it out there?C'mon, get started with your proof, your evidence that it is lip synched.  I and others are curious.  Because if you think she is lip synched, you must also believe all singing is.  Tell that to the Cadets.  Tell that to Crown.  Or shut up about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

OK so you don't like Gino's horn line. Fine.  But I am happy to get you started on what you allege to be lip synching. That's a pretty strong accusation and insult to the singer. You have proof of this ? Or are you just throwing it out there?C'mon, get started with your proof, your evidence that it is lip synched.  I and others are curious.  Because if you think she is lip synched, you must also believe all singing is.  Tell that to the Cadets.  Tell that to Crown.  Or shut up about it.

Maybe Polonius just thought it was lip synching and made a mistake?

I meant to add: I thought BAC's integration of singing and music on the field has been the best of anyone this year. Maybe by a long-shot. It isn't something that excites me much in general (across all corps), but Boston has done this very well.

Edited by mjoakes
Added "mean to add..."
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mjoakes said:

Maybe Polonius just thought it was lip synching and made a mistake? Worth asking that question first.

I meant to add: I thought BAC's integration of singing and music on the field has been the best of anyone this year. Maybe by a long-shot. It isn't something that excites me much in general (across all corps), but Boston has done this very well.

Yep, Cadets and Boston are the only corps to have done singing properly and tastefully this year without disrespecting the hornline imo

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Yep, Cadets and Boston are the only corps to have done singing properly and tastefully this year without disrespecting the hornline imo

Disrespecting the hornline.  Hmmm.  Nice way of articulating one of the pitfalls of vocals in drum corps.  As powerful as hornlines are, vocals, even just a solo voice, carry their own kind of power and can easily overwhelm the beefiest of hornlines.  Kind of an interesting phenomenon, actually, worthy of study.

Here you go, my novel of a review lol

DCA: Southern Knights - it was so nice seeing a tribute to Cadet's 93 show. If they are a new group, then they are doing very well. They need more brass to cover moving, but they had great tones. The small ensemble in the ballad was well done, and they have a decent guard as well. Overall a really cool show and I enjoyed it.

DCI: SOA - WOW!!! The opening impact of this show was absolutely marvelous. The guard is such a step up from last year, I just couldn't keep my eyes off of them! Brass was amazing as well. Great balance throughout the show. Some spacing issues and guiding down straight lines were a little off, but the dance in the drum break was pretty neat! The closer kinda lost my attention and didn't really feel like it fit, but it was still performed very well. The props were neat, just didn't feel as incorporated as they could've been. Again, great show!

Jersey Surf - this show was far more enjoyable than last year's by a long shot. The props, uniforms, everything was just pretty great. It seemed like there were a few phasing issues between battery and brass, but they were quite minor and fixed themselves quickly. The plume change was SHARP. People in the audience let out a "woaaahhhh" when it happened. Very nice visual moment there. I also enjoyed the  guard silks. Very vibrant.

Mandarins - I didn't really get the theme during the early west live streams, but it really came through tonight. The "bean bag people" as I first called them made a nice visual effect. Very powerful brass and drumline. The props are also super effective and are some of the better incorporated props of the evening. They certainly are not going to give up for that 12th spot easily, and they could very well take it. One of the biggest standing ovations of the night too. The guard is also something to brag about, great work and silks. The rainbow colored rifles were such a nice effect too.

OC - I remember seeing this group in Huntsville and Atlanta 2 years ago, and thinking back on that show and performance to now is amazing how quickly they've improved. The show itself was nice, but was probably one of my least enjoyed performances of the night, but that's not bad because I honestly liked every show a lot. Brass started out as the weakest section, but through the ballad and closer, really started to shine. The guard was the best guard I've ever seen them have, they were smoking last night. 4th bass drum was out unfortunately, but the drum heads were so cool and really stood out. The corp's uniforms were probably my favorite of the night, they match the show theme too, which is a plus. Again, another one of those groups who didn't really use their props that great, just kinda moved them around. Would've been cool if they rotated like Pride of Cincinnati's props 2 years ago. Overall a great group and performance.

Int - amazing as always, lots of people got up and talked during their performance. Really rude!

Madison Scouts - the hats... Were not as cool live as they were in the photo reveal... I didn't like them. I love the props and uniforms, but the hats are a no. They seemed to be dropping feathers from the hats all through the performance unfortunately. The show itself is great, but doesn't really seem cohesive to me. The gas mask part really made no sense and kinda confused me. Brass was great, great volume and balance, the trombone section added great low brass sound. The person I was with thought they had the best guard of the night, though neither of us are guard people, I thought they'd be at least top 3. They were clean and the weapon work was well written and executed. Great performance and energy, probably the biggest standing ovation, but surprisingly people were sad when Mandarins were below them. I love me a good fight for 12th which will probably come down to semis. I wasn't surprised they beat Mandarins. They both were super close and I saw it going either way.

Crossmen - the trumpet solo at the beginning always sounds like he's making a mistake to me. It's sounded like that since the theater preview. But that aside, they sounded absolutely great as an ensemble with great pit and high brass writing. One of the more prominent synth basses that I could've done with out. The guard was really nice, one of the best incorporated throughout the show. They have these really cool orange and purple streamer things at the end (idk if that's new, probably not) that add a nice touch and compliment the uniforms. The uniforms BTW add a very nice touch on the field. Some pretty nice technical high brass runs. As a mello/horn player myself, I thought the horn solo was very nice and she had s great tone! The mello section was probably the standout to me, great tone and technicality. The part where they are in the corner of the field is my favorite musical moment. Such nuance, it sounded wonderful. Overall a great show!

BAC - Oh my, where to begin. It was obvious they were walking away with the win in the first 2 minutes of the show. The guard was absolutely great, incredible work. There were a few pretty obvious sabre drops that were saddening to me. The detail of the design of this show was very good. the guard uniforms and silks matched the theme perfectly. The band uniforms I like better live, but still not really in love with them. The percussion is super clean and really got my attention last night. The brass was definitely the best, not only last night, but that they've had in a long while. Best used props of the night. Every prop was used for something through the whole show, something not most groups do, good for them. The singer was a definite stand out moment of the show. The person I was with has a vocal background and is very good at it (3 time all state, 2 time GSA in Kentucky) and she was very impressed with the singer. The ballad as a whole was my 2nd favorite part of the show. REALLY well done. My favorite moment of course was the ending. That flame adds so much there and I couldn't see it ending any other way. Also my favorite use of voiceovers. So simple yet it gets the point across. Goosebumps. This is my favorite BAC show to date and I hope they get past the Cavies.

The Academy - this was the most entertaining show. This one had the people laughing, including me. So whimsical and fun, something NO ONE else seems to do anymore. I guess the closest to it is Bluecoats, but they still have a very abstract show. I hope they never change into the head scratching-abstract theme thing that everyone else is doing. I wish more groups had this much entertainment in their shows. Ok, back to reviews. The brass and guard are the standouts here. I am surprised their guard isn't scoring better. They were wonderful and had such good expression conveyed to the audience. I think that design is the problem for them, not performance. They perform this show at such a high level, even if the show isn't as good as last year (to me). The rubber chicken part is so funny I'm smiling while thinking about it. So many playful moments and ideas through the show made it so enjoyable to me. Great job! And a surprise encore by them was a nice treat :)

Blue Stars - this show seems so heavily guard based I found myself rarely watching the band and always watching the guard. The guard is great, but they did have some sloppy spots. Romeo dropped the saber solo sadly, it always excites me on the live streams. Lady Marmalade can leave the show ENTIRELY for all I care. It's so awkward and cringy. People around me turned to each other and laughed, not in a good way. Maybe try it slowly instead of right at tempo? It's just too abrupt right now. The best brass moment was definitely the ballad. that was really the only moment I really focused on them. The opening statement wasn't as loud as I was expecting. But this group does have an amazing blend. Overall nicely done, but I wish the show wasn't so guard heavy.

Well that's it. It was a great night with high energy performances. Nashville tonight. Expect a similar novel to follow it too, lol.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Cascades?

4 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

Disrespecting the hornline.  Hmmm.  Nice way of articulating one of the pitfalls of vocals in drum corps.  As powerful as hornlines are, vocals, even just a solo voice, carry their own kind of power and can easily overwhelm the beefiest of hornlines.  Kind of an interesting phenomenon, actually, worthy of study.

Easily overwhelm the beefiest of hornlines ** with the aid of a microphone and speakers. 

I do agree it's an interesting phenomenon though

2 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Cascades?

Forgive me I haven't gotten the chance to see cascades, do they have videos on YouTube? I've seen Pioneer but wasn't too big of a fan of it.