Bluecoats getting the shaft this year

3 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Not all of us hate it. The mere presence of the singer deconstructs what our preconceived notions of drum corps should be. 

Like I said, the first time I saw "IT IS" after being told this, almost all of the moments where I was left confused in the theater made perfect sense. I think there's a tad too much clutter in terms of props by the end, and the guard has been dragging them down, but BOY is this a smart show.

5 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now things are getting uncomfortable.

Sorry your uncomfortable, it's humid here...

11 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Im not gay, but can I like musical theatre?

lol...I suppose I deserved that! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, pudding said:

On the topic of SCV, I feel that their show is just so completely unremarkable. They have many nice, little moments, in between extended periods of either percussion features, small brass features, or nothing. They don't build to any particular climax, and the pacing of the show is disjointed (again, because of the many interludes). They look nice, and they have some nice visual effects (such as the four-person snake pods), but every time I watch their show I find myself wanting more. Their props are much-vaunted this year, but I personally don't find them to be that interesting; after a few minutes, they actually become an eyesore for me. As someone else mentioned in a different thread, it almost comes as a relief when the props get turned around to reveal the solid black. 

I like SCV, and I want them to be successful, but I don't think that this should be the show that wins for them. I felt that Force of Nature, Scheherazade, and Les Mis were all better designs than this show.

You marched 2014 BC and yet you post this drivel? There's literally like 3 or 4 of you this year posting this... Cappybara bring one of the other 3. I thought I was supposed to trust your judgement on the timing of each show, but after reading this I literally have zero faith in your analysis. Not sure what your bias is, but it is clearly there. Small Brass features? Percussion features? Again, as I told you, you need to watch an SCV standstill, because you're really struggling to figure out who is actually playing and where.

As for the Bluecoats and crushing GE/Music, why? Why should they be? Literally NO JUDGE has seen it this way since a month ago when all corps were pig in the mud dirty. Now that the other shows have cleared up significantly, and the Bluecoats are still marching in mud, the pack has separated and you expect the Bluecoats to be scoring 96's in Content? Seriously? For what? 30 people running down a jagged ramp? 80 people running under/in to the jagged ramp? HUGE segments of follow the leader drill? Disjointed Fosse moves done in a completely off the dot blob? Yes, the Coats have some great, always stuck in your head MUSICAL moments. Visually, the only moment that EVER sticks in my head is the snaking drill coming to the front in the opener and closer, even then the guard is staged HORRIBLY, as they are through-out a MAJORITY of the show.

I see the potential in this show, but it's not better than third place. It's literally an upside down version of down side up...

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

You clearly don't care enough to look into any shows past the surface level, or to try to discuss anything with anyone, because the subtext of Crown's show is literally the exact same as the two corps who will medal along with them in Indianapolis next week.

I wrote up a huge reply to this, but I got a 500 server error and I don't feel like writing it up again. Suffice it to say that you are not only horridly wrong, but insulting at the same time. If you actually care to see whether I "care enough to look into any shows past the surface level", feel free to go through my post history. 

11 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Not all of us hate it. The mere presence of the singer deconstructs what our preconceived notions of drum corps should be. 

No, no, NO. A deconstruction is NOT simply something that challenges a tradition, or which is blatantly against what is "accepted" as the "correct" way of doing things. It is a deliberate breakdown of a structure into its elements and recombining them in a way that focuses on the elements instead of the whole structure. 

• Like 1

Let it all out.  That's what this forum is for. It's great when your favorite wins and not so great while having a great show they might have won 10 yrs ago now it's fighting for a top three. They are getting shafted. It's too crowded at the top. 

34 minutes ago, pudding said:

You got sold a bridge. Crown's show is nonsense design with post hoc justification. They put out such an abstract, non-cohesive show that anyone could conceivably look at the show and find some kind of hidden meaning, but it is fundamentally not good design to shift the onus of intent and meaning from the designer to the viewer, it's just lazy. 

Aaaaand...

it is still a superior design to what the Bluecoats are putting on the field from a design and execution standpoint.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

You marched 2014 BC and yet you post this drivel? There's literally like 3 or 4 of you this year posting this... Cappybara bring one of the other 3. I thought I was supposed to trust your judgement on the timing of each show, but after reading this I literally have zero faith in your analysis. Not sure what your bias is, but it is clearly there. Small Brass features? Percussion features? Again, as I told you, you need to watch an SCV standstill, because you're really struggling to figure out who is actually playing and where.

As for the Bluecoats and crushing GE/Music, why? Why should they be? Literally NO JUDGE has seen it this way since a month ago when all corps were pig in the mud dirty. Now that the other shows have cleared up significantly, and the Bluecoats are still marching in mud, the pack has separated and you expect the Bluecoats to be scoring 96's in Content? Seriously? For what? 30 people running down a jagged ramp? 80 people running under/in to the jagged ramp? HUGE segments of follow the leader drill? Disjointed Fosse moves done in a completely off the dot blob? Yes, the Coats have some great, always stuck in your head MUSICAL moments. Visually, the only moment that EVER sticks in my head is the snaking drill coming to the front in the opener and closer, even then the guard is staged HORRIBLY, as they are through-out a MAJORITY of the show.

I see the potential in this show, but it's not better than third place. It's literally an upside down version of down side up...

How ironic that you accuse me of bias while being so obviously blind to the drawbacks of your own home team. Are you actually unaware that SCV has mic'd their 12 strongest brass players and feature them prominently? 

Meanwhile, you appear to not be reading what I'm actually saying, and your response isn't even consistent with itself. Yes, I believe that Bloo should be receiving higher repertoire scores in GE and music. You then go on to list several personal issues you have with their VISUAL PROGRAM. A trend that I notice from most of your posts, by the way; you only ever harp on visual. If you read what I actually said, I have already stated that the Bluecoats this year are deserving of their low visual numbers, because they are in fact dirty. 

2 minutes ago, pudding said:

How ironic that you accuse me of bias while being so obviously blind to the drawbacks of your own home team. Are you actually unaware that SCV has mic'd their 12 strongest brass players and feature them prominently? 

Meanwhile, you appear to not be reading what I'm actually saying, and your response isn't even consistent with itself. Yes, I believe that Bloo should be receiving higher repertoire scores in GE and music. You then go on to list several personal issues you have with their VISUAL PROGRAM. A trend that I notice from most of your posts, by the way; you only ever harp on visual. If you read what I actually said, I have already stated that the Bluecoats this year are deserving of their low visual numbers, because they are in fact dirty. 

Your point of 12 mic'd, featured in contrasting uniforms vs Bloo's approach to amplification?  Earbuds aside you lost me...

• Like 1