Bluecoats getting the shaft this year

3 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I had trouble understanding Crown's show for the longest time. When someone finally told me the secret of how to watch the show, I suddenly had no qualms about Crown beating Coats this year. Coats have a fun, cleverly planned piece of fluff that wins over audiences but leaves them exposed where the Content subcaption is judged. Crown's show, while much, MUCH harder to comprehend on the surface, has both context AND subtext, and that complexity is complemented by a smart design that emphasizes both of these parts.

You got sold a bridge. Crown's show is nonsense design with post hoc justification. They put out such an abstract, non-cohesive show that anyone could conceivably look at the show and find some kind of hidden meaning, but it is fundamentally not good design to shift the onus of intent and meaning from the designer to the viewer, it's just lazy. 

• Like 2

Facts don't care about opinions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whitedj2002 said:

Every show other than the top 2 are flawed. My opinion begins with skimpy short shorts and bras being about as non flattering as it gets. Time and a place, I just don't see the need... I find the sequins, suspenders, bowler hats (and their use) Quickly become a gimmick. Bloo's lunging and posing  are not nearly as effective as the body demands exhibited by BD. Not even close! I think the jagged stage  repeatedly interferes  with drill. The striped dancing stick remind me of the WB dancing frog.  Excuse (or not!) my somewhat pointed criticism. It's because I'm sick and tired seeing  BD, and more recently SCV bashed for they're vision.  Last year I loved Bloo's vision.  This year I find the jagged stage an eyesore. Do it up judges! "Midwest" I suggest your bias should be examined not the judges. Where, wear aside!

Apparently you are not familiar with the work of Bob Fosse. The guard outfits and hats fit right in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

It was predisposed to negativity and the disparaging of several corps.  Let us live this last week and a half in some semblance of civility.  

I always enjoy your insight, thanks for that!

5 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

As a final addendum, this thread is cancer, and I hope it is closed sooner rather than later.

Thread titles with the word "shaft" should be avoided at all costs.

Just now, pudding said:

You got sold a bridge. Crown's show is nonsense design with post hoc justification. They put out such an abstract, non-cohesive show that anyone could conceivably look at the show and find some kind of hidden meaning, but it is fundamentally not good design to shift the onus of intent and meaning from the designer to the viewer, it's just lazy. 

You clearly don't care enough to look into any shows past the surface level, or to try to discuss anything with anyone, because the subtext of Crown's show is literally the exact same as the two corps who will medal along with them in Indianapolis next week.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Facts don't care about opinions. 

Fact. Bears eat beats.

19 minutes ago, pudding said:

If you don't see the demand then you are blind. Their drill is comparable to other corps, but as we all know drill doesn't mean anything anymore. In terms of visual design, they have the most cohesion in theme (Fosse-esque dance), just like 2014 BD had their Fellini-esque visual program. To reduce that to "just using a big prop and different dance steps" in incredibly disingenuous. They move far more than your Blue Devils, who literally stand still to play Bumblebee as well as most of their huge hits (yes, I watched, I'm not simply regurgitating the park and bark hate). Their usage of the hats ties in with their Fosse choreography, and their uniforms are nods to 50s and 60s dance fashion. 

Obvious hater/homer is obvious. 

I think the show is demanding but no more than all of the corps.  Heck I think the toughest drill is the cavies.  So now I'm blind because I don't agree with you.  If anything the coats fans are the ones that have proven to be haters.  I like all the corps.  It seems like a lot of you really don't care as long as BD loses.

Edited by MikeBD
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, denverjohn said:

Thread titles with the word "shaft" should be avoided at all costs.

Unless it's something like "Academy presents 'Shut yo mouth', the music of Shaft.

• Like 2

Just now, ContraFart said:

Apparently you are not familiar with the work of Bob Fosse. The guard outfits and hats fit right in.

I'm gay I know musical theatre.  I just see gestures and somewhat tacky costuming that evokes Fosse but to what end? Concept doesn't appeal to me after 2 minutes visually.  Musical is another topic story, I'll listen to it in the car for daze!!! I realize it's my opinion and I'm sitting on it!

• Like 2