Bluecoats getting the shaft this year

7 minutes ago, pudding said:

What would you say their ballad is, then? Anything more rhythmically interesting than a quarter note is played by the small ensemble (which is admittedly also spread fairly far). Crown's Akiho is not as intricate as Bluecoats' Thank You Scientist or Zappa; sure, the baris have a very difficult ostinato (wait, is this a dirty word? It sure seemed to be last year), and some 3/8 bars thrown in, but any rhythmic challenges are soli or tutti, where Bluecoats' brass book has inter-section hocket rhythms and more complicated tuplets than any other brassline is playing this year.

I'm just gonna let you rant. I enjoy the show, but at the end of the day they just don't have the execution to make up for the difficulty.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

You clearly don't care enough to look into any shows past the surface level, or to try to discuss anything with anyone, because the subtext of Crown's show is literally the exact same as the two corps who will medal along with them in Indianapolis next week.

And I would add that that subtext is more clear than what BD and SCV are trying to bring, albeit more literal

• Like 1

Can we just start every post on this thread with "In my opinion..."?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MikeBD said:

I think the show is demanding but no more than all of the corps.  Heck I think the toughest drill is the cavies.  So now I'm blind because I don't agree with you.  If anything the coats fans are the ones that have proven to be haters.  I like all the corps.  It seems like a lot of you really don't care as long as BD loses.

This 100%

2 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

I'm gay I know musical theatre.  I just see gestures and somewhat tacky costuming that evokes Fosse but to what end? Concept doesn't appeal to me after 2 minutes visually.  Musical is another topic story, I'll listen to it in the car for daze!!! I realize it's my opinion and I'm sitting on it!

Im not gay, but can I like musical theatre?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

And I would add that that subtext is more clear than what BD and SCV are trying to bring, albeit more literal

Ironic, considering that that subtext is usually the context of many a show done by a corps hitting a milestone like BD or SCV is this year. Also ironic that that literal subtext is expressed through the largest target of hate of the entire program!

7 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

I'm gay I know musical theatre. 

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now things are getting uncomfortable.

I just saw someone state that another member was disingenuous...

1. Not noble; unbecoming true honor or dignitymeanunworthy; fake or deceptive.    ....  Blinks

Just now, MotoSurfBass said:

Ironic, considering that that subtext is usually the context of many a show done by a corps hitting a milestone like BD or SCV is this year. Also ironic that that literal subtext is expressed through the largest target of hate of the entire program!

Not all of us hate it. The mere presence of the singer deconstructs what our preconceived notions of drum corps should be. 

• Like 1