A question for the purists: was there more that could have been done?

48 minutes ago, ouooga said:

I see a lot of people talk about "the old days" and "before we had electronics" and "g bugles" and "why are they dancing?" and "where's the drill" and "why is there a stage?" and so on. 

I'm personally a fan of the new stuff, but this isn't about me defending it. I want to ask the purists on here, was there more that could have been done with the old style(s)?

Go back to 1999, or 1989, or any year that you consider to be "the last year of real drum corps", and take that into the present and beyond. Was there more that could have been done within that box of rules? Ideas that weren't explored, music that got lost, drill that never saw the light of day, etc? Or would we have seen the same ideas perpetuated over and over forever? If the latter, is that the goal?

Just something that's been on my mind. I'm curious to hear the thoughts.

Yeah, I think you'd really need to go back to pre-1983 to really be in a Purist era, though one could argue that it ended later when they ditched the bugles.

What could have been done withing the context of the old rules? Well, just about everything that did get done so far as drill design and music. DCI was a much more visceral experience "back in the day."  It's impossible to describe what sitting on the 50 in front of Madison's 1980 horn line was like, the sopranos lined up on the sideline playing Malguena full volume into you face. No recording can convey that.

I get that the modern day fan thinks that we'll all a bunch of old fogeys. But 30 years from now when you've been away from the activity for many years and you decide to catch a show and it's a solo singer suspended from wires, 140 jazz dancers, an electronic drum machine, dueling mixers, a laser light show with pyrotechnics, three mic'd brass players on the sideline playing short fills, suspended big screen TV's, and the whole thing looks like a Beyonce Super Bowl Halftime extravaganza...then you'll understand how we old "purists" feel today.

Or something.

• Like 9

As someone who remembers the shock of the Bridgemen in 1976, a corps considered an "old school" classic today, I remember how some felt though I was too young to understand why there was a fuss, saw 27th and Phantom when their classic guards were in their heyday and were quite innovative at the time, saw the then Garfield Cadets rise along with Cavies, saw the classic shows of the 80's and 90's, they all pushed boundaries. Even in the days of the tic system, Blue Devils and SCV were innovators. 

I would love to see more old style shows, it's not going to happen. For one thing, we don't have feeder corps and kids are not trained with g bugles and color guard techniques . You didn't just audition at age 18 and learn these things. It's a whole mindset kids come from school programs today. It's not better or worse, just different. Also, the shows of the past reflected their time. Today, technology is a reality. I'm willing to bet as little as ten years ago, some corps may have banned cell phones. Today it is probably not a consideration. 

Now if you were to tell me less electronics, fewer props, not changing uniforms every year as a way of keeping costs down so drum corps would be more affordable and more scholarship fund would be available, I'd support it in a heartbeat. Turning back the clock, even if I'd love to see it, won't happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anstigback said:

I wish things just paused with shows like the ones performed from years 2000 to about 2011.

Interesting. During most of that time, amplification was allowed, and for the most part, that didn't really make for better shows. It didn't always hurt, and most of the time it probably had no effect on the overall quality one way or the other, but I think it hurt more often than it helped. I suspect a vast majority of fans would have liked BD 2005 and Cadets 2007 more if they didn't have amplified voice.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

Activities like this have to either evolve or they die. A significant percentage of old timers, myself included, will hate many changes. Changes often correct (electronics use will likely be reformed).  Staying the same means, at best, surviving. The conditions that made the old ways work are simply gone. This is a new generation, different from boomers gen x, and gen y. 

13 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Interesting. During most of that time, amplification was allowed, and for the most part, that didn't really make for better shows. It didn't always hurt, and most of the time it probably had no effect on the overall quality one way or the other, but I think it hurt more often than it helped. I suspect a vast majority of fans would have liked BD 2005 and Cadets 2007 more if they didn't have amplified voice.

Just wanted to chime in that I fully agree on that Cadets 07 notion. Literally remove all the voices so the brass just plays loud following a 4 or 8 count rest, that show would have been dripping with GE! Add in that and move Finals out of California that year, and Cadets probably would have taken gold!

16 hours ago, cowtown said:

Go amps, did you hear that Yamaha mixer, it sounds like tubes. Blue Devils has the best sound guy doing the mix but Bloo has the best subs

It really is heading toward a contest of sound guys and who has the best toys.  I am a relatively new fan (2010) and I've seen the changes even in that time span.  I'm not a purist and DO enjoy a lot of the more modern shows, BUT I don't fully embrace some of the current trends:  heavy dependence on electronics, over-amplification, synth goo, too much pre-recorded material, vocals that dominate, no headgear, the demise of the traditional uniform, 

I kind of feel like I just discovered this amazing activity and it is already changing into something else!

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 4

FWIW when I first saw this topic I interpreted the question as "Was there more we could have done to stem the tide of change and letting drum corps show get to this point?" to which I would answer, "Yes: we could have listened to Scott Stewart and his vision for the activity."

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 3

I truly believe the switch out of G bugles was a result of brass instrument manufacturers wanting to sell the greatest amount of instruments all over the world. That's a reasonable goal for a business. Just using arbitrary numbers for illustration only, on one hand we had 150 field music groups using G brass. On the other, we had 400,000 brass instrument users (individual players and field music groups). playing standard 3-valve equipment.  Why run a production line to service a relatively small segment of brass users? Better to help future customers forget there ever was an alternative to B-Flat. Just take it off the shelf.

• Like 2