Cadets 2018

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

English please lol 

that was English LOL.

basically the attention to technique will help allow for greater clarity and quality of sound. Intervolic spreads refers to how wide or close together the mallets are in each hand, and of course outer and inner means controlling all implements...too often everyone focuses on the inside mallets, allowing the outer ones to flop around...sometimes creating additional and usually unwanted notes being played. Wrist rotations is about how when they do stuff within each hand, if the wrist rotation is subtle yet controlled, it allows for greater clarity and quality of sound

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I think much depends on what you hear and where you hear it. DCP has posted mostly positive things about Cadets itself especially regarding progress since GH’s departure. Some Facebook posts have said somewhat differing things, namely that there have been some departures and things are in flux, but I do not know the accuracy of these folks and even these posts do not predict a horrible year for the corps. 

One thing we need to keep in mind: it is very rare that when a person involved with an organization is accused of what the former director has been accused of, or what the person involved with Crossmen has been accused of, simply removing the person solves the problem. Cadets is the exception. I am also surprised people did not flee the corps. It’s probably due to a combination of factors. If this had been revealed in October rather than April when most matching members were at least tentatively in place, we could be talking about a different situation. The new director being an insider as far as legacy but an outsider as far as working with GH helps a great deal too. GH being so problematic is probably a factor as well. 

If Cadets are more competitive this year than in the past few years, great. The corps could also find itself where they were last year or perhaps a bit lower. That’s fine too, but keep in mind as I say that I do not have as much invested in Cadets as alums, parents, or longtime supporters, so if Cadets is your favorite corps, I understand their losing ground or not being as strong as in the past are not things to be taken lightly. For me, what matters most is that Cadets will survive beyond 2018, and that seems to be what is happening.

removing Hop from design had to be nothing but a good news. too often staff left because of his overbearing intrusions that usually didn't help

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dbc03 said:

The predictions thread tells a different story. Few people are predicting that The Cadets will be competitive with the top corps this year. Now that may not qualify as "left for dead" but go read the threads from 24-72 hours after the GH news broke, many were predicting The Cadets would never perform again.

There is a lot of stuff being missed here.  The predictions in the first 24-72 hours were being made in the midst of a media storm, during which perspective is understandably lacking.  If The Cadets did not perform this year, the reasons this could have happened were (a) too many operational holes left by the departure of a key knowledge source made it logistically impossible to run a corps, (b) inability of the new board to get up to speed and/or if there had been anything but cooperation from the old board, (c) if the finances were in such bad shape as to be unrecoverable, or (d) if there had been any allegations leveled by current MM's that caused parents to pull their support.  Fortunately all of the above broke the right way in those first few weeks and since, plus the decision not to go West was crucial.

Furthermore, The Cadets were going to be a better corps than last year with or without GH.  And make no mistake, if these allegations had not surfaced, GH would have been the 2018 director.  Another year of experience for the design/music team (especially Shane), a really amazing score (even before the changes), and a much more veteran corps all were pointing in the right direction.  The results last year were not great, but the morale of the MM's last year was extremely high.  So they were coming in with much higher expectations.  

From what I can tell from MM's, the corps is very tight at camp, and they think they sound much better than they did last year.  My suspicion is that if the show is as good as the hints we are getting seem to indicate, the fans will turn out to cheer for the corps, which will raise the energy level even further.

When you combine the fresh start organizationally with what was already an improved situation from a music/experience standpoint, as well as a good attitude, you have a combination that could easily produce much-improved results.  Nothing is guaranteed, but I would say at this point there is a better chance for progress than regression.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Icer said:

There is a lot of stuff being missed here.  The predictions in the first 24-72 hours were being made in the midst of a media storm, during which perspective is understandably lacking.  If The Cadets did not perform this year, the reasons this could have happened were (a) too many operational holes left by the departure of a key knowledge source made it logistically impossible to run a corps, (b) inability of the new board to get up to speed and/or if there had been anything but cooperation from the old board, (c) if the finances were in such bad shape as to be unrecoverable, or (d) if there had been any allegations leveled by current MM's that caused parents to pull their support.  Fortunately all of the above broke the right way in those first few weeks and since, plus the decision not to go West was crucial.

Furthermore, The Cadets were going to be a better corps than last year with or without GH.  And make no mistake, if these allegations had not surfaced, GH would have been the 2018 director.  Another year of experience for the design/music team (especially Shane), a really amazing score (even before the changes), and a much more veteran corps all were pointing in the right direction.  The results last year were not great, but the morale of the MM's last year was extremely high.  So they were coming in with much higher expectations.  

From what I can tell from MM's, the corps is very tight at camp, and they think they sound much better than they did last year.  My suspicion is that if the show is as good as the hints we are getting seem to indicate, the fans will turn out to cheer for the corps, which will raise the energy level even further.

When you combine the fresh start organizationally with what was already an improved situation from a music/experience standpoint, as well as a good attitude, you have a combination that could easily produce much-improved results.  Nothing is guaranteed, but I would say at this point there is a better chance for progress than regression.

I don't disagree, but I think you may have missed the whimsical context of the original analogy.  

If we are going to insist on taking it so seriously and literally, why not go for the low hanging fruit?  The Cadets will have the benefit of brass instruments and not just sticks, they don't have to perform for an entire hour, they can throw equipment without being penalized for high sticking, and they don't have to do the whole show on a sheet of ice.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

that was English LOL.

basically the attention to technique will help allow for greater clarity and quality of sound. Intervolic spreads refers to how wide or close together the mallets are in each hand, and of course outer and inner means controlling all implements...too often everyone focuses on the inside mallets, allowing the outer ones to flop around...sometimes creating additional and usually unwanted notes being played. Wrist rotations is about how when they do stuff within each hand, if the wrist rotation is subtle yet controlled, it allows for greater clarity and quality of sound

Thank you..

Does this post come with 3 credits and do I have to get a signed release from the bursar's office first?

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

I think much depends on what you hear and where you hear it. DCP has posted mostly positive things about Cadets itself especially regarding progress since GH’s departure. Some Facebook posts have said somewhat differing things, namely that there have been some departures and things are in flux, but I do not know the accuracy of these folks and even these posts do not predict a horrible year for the corps. ...

For me, what matters most is that Cadets will survive beyond 2018, and that seems to be what is happening.

Since when DCI began in 1972 there has been almost no corps and not one I can name who has not lost mms, even staffers, during the pre-tour training period now commonly called Spring Training.  As the marching/visual book is learned injuries do sometimes occur. Deficiencies in actual day-to-day comprehension and relational issues such as sharing life with 200 individuals, homesickness, semester grades which demand summer school, internship opportunities, family tragedies and illness, the inability to deliver on tuition payments for drum corps and/or college are but some of the typical reasons and why holes appear. Even BD has been known to cover alternates for these reasons.  Departures are not always a negative.  

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Thank you..

Does this post come with 3 credits and do I have to get a signed release from the bursar's office first?

print out the following statement:

The above dealt with and allowed time for successful translation of drumese to English and seemed to grasp the concept of said drumese translation to a degree that if nothing else he could say "oh cool thanks!"

:bigsmile:

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Since when DCI began in 1972 there has been almost no corps and not one I can name who has not lost mms, even staffers, during the pre-tour training period now commonly called Spring Training.  As the marching/visual book is learned injuries do sometimes occur. Deficiencies in actual day-to-day comprehension and relational issues such as sharing life with 200 individuals, homesickness, semester grades which demand summer school, internship opportunities, family tragedies and illness, the inability to deliver on tuition payments for drum corps and/or college are but some of the typical reasons and why holes appear. Even BD has been known to cover alternates for these reasons.  Departures are not always a negative.  

and happen in every corps

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

print out the following statement:

The above dealt with and allowed time for successful translation of drumese to English and seemed to grasp the concept of said drumese translation to a degree that if nothing else he could say "oh cool thanks!"

:bigsmile:

rimshot or cymbal crash (or hit of the triangle if one prefers a subtle quiet ending. No electronics needed.)