Cadets 2018

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I wonder if the kids in the corps also learned how to whack students with a ruler or toss an eraser at misbehaving kids like the nuns did.  :tongue:

We had a nun in my NJ grammar school... pinpoint accuracy with that #### eraser.  LOL. She could have pitched in the major leagues.

I was lucky, I had some tough nuns but they were great teachers and used what they recorded in their grade book as their weapon of choice. They were the type who also attended every game, stayed after school for hours helping the kid who struggled, etc. I finished 8th grade in 1977, so a lot had changed. I ended up working with one nun from my childhood in a parish where I was assigned. It was still “yes Sister,” stand up when she walked in the room, etc., just like it was 1975. Actually I think I’m a bit of a disappointment to some nuns. Yes I taught in a Catholic school, and yes I became a priest, but many a nun has looked st my handwriting and asked, “Are you sure you went to Catholic school?”

There was one nun who was a fixture at CYO contests in the Boston area. I can't recall the group she was with, but after scores were announced, she was given the tabulation sheets and she’d chase down the judges if she disagreed. I’m not sure if it prevented future questionable tics, but it gave people a good laugh. 

Well I’ve derailed this thread enough and I fear the wrath of some of the DCP folks who get upset about derailed threads than I am about any nuns who taught in parochial schools!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

This is a little O.T.

I know the Cadets have a tradition of always walking in pairs.

One of my friends asked if I knew why.

I don't.

Does anyone know how that started or why its done ?

One version that I heard while inside the organization pre-Hopkins was to insure safety in some of those tougher (Jersey and other) neighborhoods. Back in the 50-70's, some corps were more known for their lot-brawling than for their field shows; one of these corps still exists in DCI and remembers a Miami incident detailed on other threads.

You might check for better info from Onceuponatime who has been affiliated with the corps much longer that I have been.

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I was lucky, I had some tough nuns but they were great teachers and used what they recorded in their grade book as their weapon of choice. They were the type who also attended every game, stayed after school for hours helping the kid who struggled, etc. I finished 8th grade in 1977, so a lot had changed. I ended up working with one nun from my childhood in a parish where I was assigned. It was still “yes Sister,” stand up when she walked in the room, etc., just like it was 1975. Actually I think I’m a bit of a disappointment to some nuns. Yes I taught in a Catholic school, and yes I became a priest, but many a nun has looked st my handwriting and asked, “Are you sure you went to Catholic school?”

There was one nun who was a fixture at CYO contests in the Boston area. I can't recall the group she was with, but after scores were announced, she was given the tabulation sheets and she’d chase down the judges if she disagreed. I’m not sure if it prevented future questionable tics, but it gave people a good laugh. 

Well I’ve derailed this thread enough and I fear the wrath of some of the DCP folks who get upset about derailed threads than I am about any nuns who taught in parochial schools!

Now stop being a TBP!

Anyone who knows the history of the (Holy Name, Garfield, Bergen County, etc., etc.) Cadets knows that Most Holy Name parish was staffed by Franciscan Friars (followers of St. Francis of Assisi) who wear a white rope as an outside belt and whose ends dangle along the left side, their rosaries on the right. Not even the Troopers could lasso a target as well as these friars using their cincture, ha, ha.

Actually, one should be more astute and sensitive than to pick on any woman/female/lady on a Cadets' thread, even nuns, given the past events that shadow this season. I am glad to see that women of influence are represented on the BoD just as women have been part of the corps since 1969. My one disappointment with the faculty video released earlier this week was that there was no woman represented. Maybe time to bring back someone who follows the great contributions of Linda Paul, Peggy Twiggs, Judy Tomko, Denise Bonfiglio, Emma, Rosie, and of course April.

Edited by xandandl

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Now stop being a TBP!

Anyone who knows the history of the (Holy Name, Garfield, Bergen County, etc., etc.) Cadets knows that Most Holy Name parish was staffed by Franciscan Friars (followers of St. Francis of Assisi) who wear a white rope as an outside belt and whose ends dangle along the left side, their rosaries on the right. Not even the Troopers could lasso a target as well as these friars using their cincture, ha, ha.

Actually, one should be more astute and sensitive than to pick on any woman/female/lady on a Cadets' thread, even nuns, given the past events that shadow this season. I am glad to see that women of influence are represented on the BoD just as women have been part of the corps since 1969. My one disappointment with the faculty video released earlier this week was that there was no woman represented. Maybe time to bring back someone who follows the great contributions of Linda Paul, Peggy Twiggs, Judy Tomko, Denise Bonfiglio, Emma, Rosie, and of course April.

Judy is on the new USBands steering committee, which is excellent news.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Judy is on the new USBands steering committee, which is excellent news.

yes, I was aware of that.

But that's marching bands, not Cadets (even though this had been a $$ funnel to the corps during Allentown's previous administration.) 

As DCI still very much remains "the old boys club," there has to raise up outstanding female administrators and faculty (not just color guard) for the 1/3 plus of DCI mms who are female. Cadets have been somewhat deficient in that area. They have had more DMs who were female.

Expect an announcement shortly on the new director of the Cadets. This will be another important sign of the progress being made by the entire organization.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

Expect an announcement shortly on the new director of the Cadets. This will be another important sign of the progress being made by the entire organization.

and a good choice.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and a good choice.

Indeed! Actually... and excellent choice!

4 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

37 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and a good choice.

23 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Indeed! Actually... and excellent choice!

WHO??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

SOMETHING TELLS ME I ALREADY KNOW WHO IT IS...AT LEAST I HOPE IT'S WHO I THINK IT IS...