Staff Merry-go-round 2018 Edition

7 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

My guess?   No major changes at BD....after all...it works, so why screw with it?

BAC?   No changes....again, it worked.

SCV?   Same....why change when you took a medal for the first time since 2004...and with a show that would have won in any other year?

Bloo??  Maybe someone to clean vizh...and to teach them how to cope with being at the top....that one mistake near the end with a trumpet taking of 4 counts early...ouch.

Cadets?   That way lies madness...not touching it.

Mandarins?  Nothing....the climb has been steady...they WILL make finals soon.

Academy?  Hopefully not....Richardson understands that catching lightning in a bottle twice in a row is difficult.

One early step off on finals night doesn't mean they have an institutional problem.

Bluecoats have a style and direction that focuses on individualized live performance, and showing emotion. It's what got them where they now are. They don't need to change anything related to teaching cleanliness. If they want to win more gold medals, which may or may not matter to them, they are going to have to design shows that make it easier for judges to give them a nod and a wink, like Crown and BD do. It's a show design issue. 

I watched Tilt last week and it shocked me how conservative that show design was. It was much more Carolina Crown than anything else. It bore almost no resemblance at all to what they have put on the field for the past three seasons. 

Bluecoats  may not care, as they are probably having trouble counting all their souvenir cash this morning. But if they do want to win another gold, there is no question in my mind they will have to copy what Blue Devils does as far as marching (not much, but what you do you design as a cleanliness showpiece) and more staged ensembles that act as difficulty auditions.

Again I don't know that these guys care, in the end, to change their show design philosophy to win a medal.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

staff changes happen every season, but if the rumor is right, a 1000 pages could be reached very quickly 

I know nothing, but if it generates 1000 pages, it can only involve Cadets.  No other corps' fans and/or critics are capable of that volume.

(If it ain't about the Cadets, it won't get that volume.)

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 5

If the Crown brass team goes anywhere, I'd like to see them go to a corps who has never won before and has shown some promise in recent years. Their mere presence on the staff of a corps like that could draw even more top design talent and it could make a real difference and spice things up in the DCI competitive arena in a big way.

(There's a certain finalist corps based in Texas who is dying for such an infusion of top shelf staff talent IMO. That would be a hoot!)

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

What is the financial state of the organization in recent years under his leadership?

Might have to wait for Garfield's updated 990's.  Supposedly the organization asked a corps for a loan a few years ago, but was turned down.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Bloo??  Maybe someone to clean vizh...and to teach them how to cope with being at the top....that one mistake near the end with a trumpet taking of 4 counts early...ouch!

Hey Tom, could you please edit in a better version of our ending?  Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Maybe the "Cadets 2018" and "Staff Merry-Go-Round" threads should be combined to save time. :tongue:

I hear the Cadets are seeking a left hand middle finger knuckle coach to handle all further communications with DCP

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SuperSaderFan said:

What will be interesting this year is that the Directors passed a rule last fall that basically does not allow anyone to announce any staff changes until after labor day.

Wait... what will we talk about between shows at DCA?

• Like 1