Blue Devils 2018

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

And?  :laughing:

Don't pretend you don't know.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NakedEye said:

For those who can't quite wrap their heads around the process BD uses to create their shows, they spell it out for you in this video. A huge part of the visual design really is done on the spot, created in real time by the staff moving people around the field to get the kind of composition that will realize their vision for the show.

They come in with a set of emphasis points or "moments" that they know need to be there and define those first. Then everything in between is basically improvised to create the best entrances and exits from those points. Along they way, sheer happenstance creates other moments. The show isn't fully formed until the last week of the season.

I absolutely love the approach because it is the same way professional artists (such as myself) work. You start with ideas and you don't know how exactly you are going to realize them, but keeping a lock on your vision, it all eventually comes together. It's quite a contrast to the rather calculated method that is used by a lot of other corps.

The staff really has to be pinching themselves these days, as they now have a talent pool of musicians who can move like dancers. This was not really the case even five years ago. What a world of possibilities it has opened up.

One of the big reasons my son wanted to march BD was to see this process done in person and to be an active participant of it. (I know, its shocking that the reason a recent member went to BD was to learn something new and to be pushed as a performer and not because they wanted a ring.) He's also said that they look as much for people who can play well as for people who can move well. Of course, they have the luxury of getting both which is why that even though they have a high turn over every year do to a lot fo age outs, they just reload. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

And in this run, the brass sounded like they we're struggling a bit, but lets be honest, with that many notes I would be struggling in June as well.

That is as much the nature of the Blue Devils family night as anything. The corps had just spent a few hours sitting in the stands watching all of the other performing groups on a cold and windy night. They did a very abbreviated warmup and jumped right into the show. I expect next weekend will look and sound much better after a proper show day prep.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, desertrat68 said:

One of the big reasons my son wanted to march BD was to see this process done in person and to be an active participant of it. (I know, its shocking that the reason a recent member went to BD was to learn something new and to be pushed as a performer and not because they wanted a ring.) He's also said that they look as much for people who can play well as for people who can move well. Of course, they have the luxury of getting both which is why that even though they have a high turn over every year do to a lot fo age outs, they just reload. 

Even if he went there because he wanted a shot a ring there's nothing wrong with that.

On 6/17/2018 at 1:06 PM, FTNK said:

Excellent but modern drum corps does nothing for me. Runs standing and loud chords standing.

I love a lot of the innovative changes we have seen over the years (props, costuming, electronics, trombones, and even narration (although I hate it)), but I agree with you. There's a lack of musicality and sustainable melody in today's drum corps, which is unfortunate. I still, however, find things to enjoy - namely the great color guards we have today, with intricate and difficult work. 

One thing about BD is that they look for a certain type of person. You could play and move like a champ but if you have a personality that doesn't click you don't get in. I know a trumpet guy who was a soloist and very good but his personality didn't click.  He ended up marching CC for 3 years. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, flammaster said:

One thing about BD is that they look for a certain type of person. You could play and move like a champ but if you have a personality that doesn't click you don't get in. I know a trumpet guy who was a soloist and very good but his personality didn't click.  He ended up marching CC for 3 years. 

and probably enjoyed it immensely given that he returned and returned. 

Edited by xandandl