Blue Devils 2018

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The spread is absolutely ridiculous

Opening flag feature is probably the toughest thing a guard is doing this year. You just KNOW that sucker was a pain to clean. 

1 minute ago, saxfreq1128 said:

They missed the squiggle drill?! I’m guessing they also missed the saber feature during that section. Tell me they at least caught the snare line, lol

It was all snare line, all the time. They are great and it is their feature, but the squiggle is one of the major visual moments of the show, so you have to balance the two a bit. By the time they got there, the squiggle had squiggled itself out. There was maybe a second or two of the end of the sabers.

I feel like the BD show is so complex, fast-moving and layered that the cameramen have some sort of collective ADD attack. They can't figure out where to look so they linger on the nearest soloist or character for awkward amounts of time instead.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Opening flag feature is probably the toughest thing a guard is doing this year. You just KNOW that sucker was a pain to clean. 

Strongly agree! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Looking like Vanguard's year, but I'll happily take the Zingali and a SCV win this year! Brazale isn't out of the question yet, margins are pretty thin in that caption

Strongly agree with this statement! 

Saw the show at the theater and there were some audio issues on the cinecast with BD and SCV. But seeing those two corps head to head for my first time this season... I enjoyed BD's show more. I guess I would describe Vanguard's show as overwhelming... exceptionally well-performed, no question... but Blue Devils' show, for me, was more fun, and obviously also well-performed.

It sucks that the audio was subpar... we could not really hear some of the stuff that came through loud and clear when we watched BD rehearse last week.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, NakedEye said:

It's been looking pretty good this week, but tonight I couldn't tell, because the camera was on an ultra closeup of marimba keys instead. :blink:

I swear it is mostly FLO and not Blair directing these days. The theater show was like this last year too. For some reason they seem to do a worse job on BD than anyone else. They completely missed the "squiggle" drill and shot the painting FROM THE BACK at the end. What???

Tom Blair didn't get to preview Blue Devils in Allentown because of the rain. I'm sure tonight will be better.

45 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Tom Blair didn't get to preview Blue Devils in Allentown because of the rain. I'm sure tonight will be better.

I hope so.

After watching the corps  rehearse that sweeping opening segment... honest to God, it was breathtaking in person... it was disappointing that the video crew didn't quite capture the moment at prelims.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I don’t know about that that. Have you checked out Blue Stars’ guard juggling sabres and hammers at the same time?

25 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

I don’t know about that that. Have you checked out Blue Stars’ guard juggling sabres and hammers at the same time?

That feature they do is fun, but it's nowhere near as exposed. What BD is doing is insane. They are literally spread 100 yards (with the auditory and timing challenges that presents) and it starts out of nowhere with a bang and then never lets up. The slightest timing error on just one section of it and you are behind for the whole thing. 

Even how they start is high risk. The end of the pole is resting on the ground in front of them and they are loosely holding the tip by the silk, with their arms at their sides. On the first count they have to flip it up from the tip to catch it in exactly the right spot and then it is off to the races. The work doesn't look tremendously complicated from a distance, but there was a warmup video (I think on Flo) that shows the detail and it's nuts. Tons of technical hand-to-hand changes, plane switches and body work, plus fast-to-slow-to-fast sections where they have to precisely control the energy to not blow through the slow part.

I thought one of the most interesting things TJ said on the broadcast was how she feels it is her responsibility to not dumb down the work Scott writes. That she manages to clean that stuff undoubtedly takes secret magic powers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2