Madison Scouts 2018

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

It doesn't happen currently, but would the Scouts brain trust ever look into a merger with another corps?  

While mergers were quite common in the 60's- 80's... they are exceedingly rare these days now. Logistics ( distance ) alone make it unlikely to merge operations in a manner that would make financial sense there days now, let alone any hopes it would somehow bolster their competitive chances. ( the Capitolaires are no more too, lets not forget.. even if Madison continues on as the Co- ed Drum Corps track they're are on now too ). As we look at the current geographical landscape, what current Corps would make sense to merge their operations with a Corps in the Bloomington- Madison corridor that already is supposedly bleeding cash ? I don't see a merger in the cards for the Madison Scouts.  They need to look internally, not externally now, as a way forward, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Volt said:

I’m having a sleepless night, so I took a look at this report. In many ways the report is positive with reachable goals. People who are more financially astute than I am may have some concerns about the loans, but it’s not as dire a financial picture as some posters claim. 

Moving forward (no pun intended), how is Madison going to make this happen? We often hear the expression “bringing people to the table.”  Can Madison at least get everyone needed in the room?

Madison alums will need to come together. It is claimed many have been alienated and feel disrespected. That’s not good by any means, and while I do not know specifics, I know no group of alums felt this way more than Cadets alums. Many of these same alums stepped forward to make the current season a reality.

Madison can also reach out for advice from other corps. Corps recruitment techniques, donor lists, competitive strategy, show plans, etc., will always be carefully guarded, but talking with other directors and boards about good management techniques of other corps and what has not worked could be an excellent starting point. It would not be a recipe, but certainly a guide.

Serious question that I don't know the answer to.

Let's say the Scouts 2019+ embrace what some consider a lost identity and put on the field shows that look like 'Madison'. All male brotherhood, musicians wearing recognizable a uniform that looks like a Madison uniform, playing music that blows the doors off the audience. Would it be acceptable to have this corp on the field ... but perhaps find themselves stuck in the 13-16 range with an occasional breakthrough to finals? The reason I ask is that I suspect the reason we see shows like this year and last year is that the top corps are NOT traditional anymore, and the Scouts feel they need to keep up with the jones. Or Jonz as it were. So would the trade-off of tradition vs placement be OK? I know the easy answer is "I want both!". But I let's be honest that right now that isn't going to happen. 

I don't claim to be an expert on anything drum corps, but as a 'fan' I would be OK with this, even prefer this for Madison. I'm a dinosaur - first being exposed to the activity in 1981. But I do love a lot of the new shows. I thought BD 2017 was one of the best shows I've ever seen live. Loved 'Coats 2016. Also loved SCV 2013 and 2016 which were more traditional shows.

So if you have to choose either going for top 12 every year doing modern drum corps or focus on tradition, which do you choose?

As a non-invested fan, honestly, for the Scouts, I'll take tradition. Nothing against the performers today or the staff that is trying to make the best art that they can. I guess I don't care about the Scouts winning as much as when I am sitting in a football stadium on a muggy summer night, I selfishly want to relive my childhood and get excited about seeing the men in green jackets with white hats taking the field knowing that I'm about to have 12 minutes of in-your-face drum corp. I don't care where they place, and I don't care if they are BD level musicians. As they chanted taking the field in 2013, 75 years of 'entertaining the crowd'. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Madison Scouts went " modern " the last few seasons... about as " modern " and non traditional in attire, style as can be. In hopes one presumes of moving up in placements. They evolved and changed in a major way their traditional approach that Jim Mason envisioned for them, but they discarded.

Madison has had a few years now to experiment with this more " modern " look in music, colors, attire. etc.

So.... whats the assessment ? Did it work ? Is it working ? Did they move up in placements ? Are marchers flocking more to the Madison Scouts now that they've gone WGI styled " modern " , instead of being uniquely traditional in style and approach ?.  Just curious as to what the assessment is now that the Madison Scouts have embraced " modern " more perhaps than ever before. I recall when the Madison Scouts were not the followers of what others were doing. They were the leaders of the pack, loyal to what they believed in... not what others around them might believe in. I wish nothing but the best for the 2018 Madison Scouts. But thats an unidentifiable Madison Scouts out there this season for me... both in music chosen, visuals, attire,  style, ethos,  emotions generated, colors, etc... the whole 9 yards.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Madison Scouts went " modern " the last few seasons... about as " modern " and non traditional in attire, style as can be. In hopes one presumes of moving up in placements. They evolved and changed in a major way their traditional approach that Jim Mason envisioned for them, but they discarded.

Madison has had a few years now to experiment with this more " modern " look in music, colors, attire. etc.

So.... whats the assessment ? Did it work ? Is it working ? Did they move up in placements ? Are marchers flocking more to the Madison Scouts now that they've gone WGI styled " modern " , instead of being uniquely traditional in style and approach.  Just curious as to what the assessment is now that the Madison Scouts have embraced " modern " more perhaps than ever before. I recall when the Madison Scouts were not the followers of what others were doing. They were the leaders of the pack, loyal to what they believed in... not what others around them might believe in.

The problem is they did modern, but they didn’t do modern well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Ironically, no DCI Corps incorporated more traditional elements into their 2017 Show production than the 2017 DCI Champion themselves, imo... " The Concord Blue Devils ". From their off the line, their company front, their traditional headgear, shakos, their " blue colors " retention in the attire, their music selection tribute to the 70's, their street beat percussion feature, the voice over by the Founder, etc and so on and forth... Yes, BD incorporated modern elements into the show as well... for sure.. But they didn't throw the baby out with the bath water here re. traditional elements, now did they ? They blended wonderfully the two, imo. Did Madison do this ? What is found in their shows the last 2-3 seasons that is a nod at all to tradition ? Madison Scouts went " all in " .. 110%...  the last few years on going WGI inspired  " Mod " it seems to me. One can assesss how thats worked out for them in any manner one chooses, I suppose.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Volt said:

That's a press release. Look at their tax returns over the long-term. They show a long-term pattern of deficits and declining net assets. In 2017 a loan for $173,700 was forgiven. Otherwise they had a structural deficit in 2017.

Edited by madisonsmiley
Clarification.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mad75 said:

In today's game, that 3 point spread is akin to a 100 point insurmountable mountain.  Game Over!...Happy 80th Anniversary to the unrecognizable Madison Scouts!

Exactly. Not only is catching Blue Stars impossible, I believe making finals is impossible, after seeing Mandarins. Your account of what's going on is frightening.

16 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Or did they go modern as opposed to innovative? Madison fared well in 2013 with a show fans loved and in 2015 they were reasonably competitive. We also forget that in the years they were at their height, the shows may have been traditional, but there were ways they did push the envelope too, which may be why for many years they had what may have been the broadest fan base.