Phantom Regiment 2018

14 hours ago, whitedj2002 said:

My comment on your comparison to SCV  was 3 fold. 1) IMO Phantom's '17 props(?) were easily the worst of the season.  I am excited to see the usage of the wooden structures you post! 2) Being from California I saw  Ouroboros many times and as rough as the initial use of the stages were, what a great "prop" integration they became. Finally, I love a great drill as much as anyone, but as the art evolves I look forward to the thematic design elements imagined on the field. From your posted pic I see Phantom in WGI inspired cosiforms, props(!) and mic'd brass.

Phantom in 2018 is alive and well! 

Ah yes I see your point! Well PR didn't really use any "field props" last season, however the guard's head attire used as a prop was a neat visual effect. I agree it may be rough at start of the season, but hopefully like SCV last year they can seamlessly integrate the props during the show for some cool moments. PR has definitely bought in to the WGI movement, so hopefully they will see better competitive success this season as well!

1 hour ago, PhantomPhan91 said:

Ah yes I see your point! Well PR didn't really use any "field props" last season, however the guard's head attire used as a prop was a neat visual effect. I agree it may be rough at start of the season, but hopefully like SCV last year they can seamlessly integrate the props during the show for some cool moments. PR has definitely bought in to the WGI movement, so hopefully they will see better competitive success this season as well!

The poster may have been referring to the podiums in 2016, which were a bit boring. 

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

The poster may have been referring to the podiums in 2016, which were a bit boring. 

ah yes, sorry for the confusion... the podiums are what I was referring to. Love what I see this year!

2 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

ah yes, sorry for the confusion... the podiums are what I was referring to. Love what I see this year!

looks like they were built by the Blue Stars, ha, ha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, kdaddy said:

1 hour ago, whitedj2002 said:

Oh no worries! I agree with you there, those podiums in '16 were as basic as you could get away with calling something a prop. PR isn't known for the heavy usage of props if any within the recent past 10 years ( also aside from the chopping block in '12, evil witch and trees in '13), and I'm totally okay with minimal prop usage.

But alas times have changed, and incorporating the use of large props (more like stages for the performers) in show design is the new norm. They have taken a great step forward in modernizing and catching up with the rest of the activity through their show design elements this season. 

If anything, I think the theme and title of the show "This New World" can be taken quite literally, as it is a new world of change for the drum corps activity, and especially for PR :)

• Like 3

I really wish I could keep closer track of Phantom this year. With a final exam this friday and then studying for my Part 1 Board exams right after, staying on top of DCI is gonna be tough this summer

Happy to hear all the great impressions of phantom though, they look fantastic in pictures, hopefully I can see a runthrough soon!

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

I really wish I could keep closer track of Phantom this year. With a final exam this friday and then studying for my Part 1 Board exams right after, staying on top of DCI is gonna be tough this summer

Happy to hear all the great impressions of phantom though, they look fantastic in pictures, hopefully I can see a runthrough soon!

all the best on your tests.

Your insights and comments are missed; even when we disagree you are always cogent.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Dude, y’all aren’t out yet? And I thought UTHSCSA was bad!

5 minutes ago, year1buick said:

Dude, y’all aren’t out yet? And I thought UTHSCSA was bad!

We finished our main semester back in May, but we're being forced to take a 6 week Gen Path course against our will lol