2018 Blue Stars

16 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

There's no way this show isn't making finals. Unless they make changes for the worst, I just don't see it. This is a upper/mid tier show design IMO. MUCH better than last year. 

Let's be a little realistic, here. I, too, would love to see the corps make the move to the upper tier; however, I think they may be lower tier...possibly, quite possibly, middle tier...based on that video. If this show manages to place 7th or 8th, I'll gladly sit down and eat crow with humble pie for dessert. 
I'll also admit that I was probably a little harsh after my viewing last Friday. From what I heard coming down from the scaffolding; that was the corps first time encountering severe heat, this season, and they weren't exactly having a well focused ensemble rehearsal as a result. Those two things translated into a not so good run through. 

Edited by corps8294

20 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

Let's be a little realistic, here. I, too, would love to see the corps make the move to the upper tier; however, I think they may be lower tier...possibly, quite possibly, middle tier...based on that video. If this show manages to place 7th or 8th, I'll gladly sit down and eat crow with humble pie for dessert. 
I'll also admit that I was probably a little harsh after my viewing last Friday. From what I heard coming down from the scaffolding; that was the corps first time encountering severe heat, this season, and they weren't exactly having a well focused ensemble rehearsal as a result. Those two things translated into a not so good run through. 

I should have been clearer. I said the design was upper/mid tier, not that they were going to jump up to the upper tier. It wasn't a comment about their placement. In fact, I simply don't think the top 6 from last year are going to change, and not even the Blue Stars will be able to out execute one of them. However, I see 7th as within the possiblity of placement for the Blue Stars. 8th or lower is more likely, but the design is there, so if the execution follows, this could be a very good vehicle for them. I've seen Cadets, Regiment, Crossmen, and Blue Knights, and my opinion is the Blue Stars show is better designed than that lot. We'll see, of course, things change, but this is a great design to start the season off with, and it's only going to get better.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2

We'll see what happens. I was really hoping this was the year Blue Stars would finally beat their 8th place best (since the 70's anyways, and 2010 I still maintain they were better than SCV)

but with this show, I'm not sure it's realistic to hope for that. My judgments and criticisms are based on the show hopefully realistically being a 6-7th place show, but now that I've seen that preview, this does not seem to be the case. I'm sure they will make finals, but looks like they will still end up in the usual 10th or 11th spot, which is fine. Blue Stars making finals is always a great thing and a huge feat considering where they were just 11 years ago, before they made  finals for the first time in forever with the 2008 Le Tour show.

I just want to see the corps climb that long ladder! I'm sure we all do. Just not gonna happen this year either. But it will eventually. I believe the Blue Stars can and will finally get another medal even if it takes 20 more years. Hoping it happens within 10.

• Like 1

I'm not getting anaything done as I have been watching the show non-stop for an hour and a half. I have huge high hopes for this show. I reminds me when I first saw a video of BAC last year - fantastic design, high energy, great writting, and demand that isn't there for the shake of demand. I think 8th is a huge possibility, but how they fair against PR tonight will be an indicator for sure. A great design is the 1st key to success, and they have that. Execution is the second key to success. At what level they execute remains to be seen, but if they fare well scorewise tonight and beat Regiment, it will be a huge boost for them.

And I want Madison to kick their ###, so if anything I have an anti-Blue Stars bias. But ####, I am in love with this show.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2

Some will say "it's a marathon, not a sprint." Well, with the season only being a month and four weeks long; corps need to come out with a show that's ready to light things up. Those that have to do major rewrites along the way end up paying the piper, these days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

Some will say "it's a marathon, not a sprint." Well, with the season only being a month and four weeks long; corps need to come out with a show that's ready to light things up. Those that have to do major rewrites along the way end up paying the piper, these days. 

They still have time to hammer things out.

• Haha 2

Went and watched it again, this time with ear buds.

It is quite a powerful brass line! And not so bad tone and in-tune wise.

The mellos need to chill out and figure out how to get volume without buzzing. The buzzing is terrible but that will come with rehearsal.

The ending is impactful but I'm sure there will be a new ending, hopefully with a star set in there somewhere.  Show seems short. Probably another minute or so that's got to be written into the show.

Good chance of making finals. My guess is its worth 92-93 pts and probably will end up getting 89-90 out of it. 9th-10th place depending on competition. Hopefully beats Phantom tonight.