Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

30 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

But there is.

There's plenty of commentary here, week-to-week during the summer season, through various threads, alleging all sorts of things.  A rececnt one that comes to mind is regarding a [particular judge] judging [a particular caption] putting [a particular corps] against XYZ unit(s) in 123 rankings and seeming "off" by many people.  

Not going to link it.

Were you there?  Do you know the sheets?  What would you have done differently if you were in his/her place?

Now, this is ludicrous, and you know it.  I know, in fact, of Brasso's been here, as I have, because we have a posting history to show it.  You do not.  You only have a contention of being a lurker for a long time.  Sorry, not the same.

You're doing nothing more than describing typical banter by DCPer's!  Why are you using that to create havoc by suggesting there's been increasing discussion about judging conspiracies?  Then refusing to even provide the links as proof of your contention?  See, if you'd been here a while you'd understand that that kind of fire-bomb is spotted a mile away here.

If you want to make a contention, make it.  Or show me that I've been missing a significant and growing threat of judging conspiracy by providing some links.

Again, your topic is not above us or below us; I'm FINE talking about judging.  But I've not seen much "conspiracy" banter here, which makes me question your contention that you're witnessing it.

It was a busy season - maybe I blacked out or something...  Pretend I have amnesia and clue me in on what I missed!  Please! 

1 minute ago, garfield said:

Now, this is ludicrous, and you know it.  I know, in fact, of Brasso's been here, as I have, because we have a posting history to show it.  You do not.  You only have a contention of being a lurker for a long time.  Sorry, not the same.

You're doing nothing more than describing typical banter by DCPer's!  Why are you using that to create havoc by suggesting there's been increasing discussion about judging conspiracies?  Then refusing to even provide the links as proof of your contention?  See, if you'd been here a while you'd understand that that kind of fire-bomb is spotted a mile away here.

If you want to make a contention, make it.  Or show me that I've been missing a significant and growing threat of judging conspiracy by providing some links.

Again, your topic is not above us or below us; I'm FINE talking about judging.  But I've not seen much "conspiracy" banter here, which makes me question your contention that you're witnessing it.

It was a busy season - maybe I blacked out or something...  Pretend I have amnesia and clue me in on what I missed!  Please! 

Nope.

43 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

There was a lot of head-scratching in the finals thread about how Cavies leapfrogged with a show that couldn't have even started had the electricity gone out, and how BD didn't win any music captions but still won overall music in semis (not sure how it played out in finals, I just don't care enough about scores anymore to be bothered).  There was some tinfoilhatting going on there, but most of that was actually buried underneath someone ragequitting because Cavies don't allow females (which I think was probably more salt over Bluecoats dropping a spot than actual misogyny).  I don't really know if there was any conspiracy talk going on over in r/drumcorps, because the CJ is even stronger there than it is here, and I try to avoid it.

That said, I've been lurking here a long time and I can't recall any threads about judging conspiracies.  Plenty of threads about deaf and blind judges, however. :P

Now, see?  That's really funny!  I'm beginning to really appreciate your wit!  

This is just so much better than insulting people and verbally bashing them in the head.

So, I have a serious question:  You and Mr DeusEx both contend you've been lurking here for a long time.  Really?  What prompted you to speak up now?  I'm just curious.

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I can't speak for OP's intentions. However, I can speak to what I think his intentions were. 

Whether on DCP or elsewhere, there IS an undeniable sentiment that the judges are in bed with certain corps, particularly the Blue Devils. This sentiment was at its peak in 2009-2012. And it still exists now, just check out the 2015 finals thread. 

Whether you want to be a pedant about whether this qualifies as a "conspiracy," I honestly couldn't give two sh*ts about that, but I do think there is a general sentiment that the judges are getting it wrong often, and that these errors are purposeful rather than on accident. 

I attribute that to a misunderstanding on the way the sheets and the judges work, or just pure ignorance in general. Just take a look at @ContraFart's complaints in this thread regarding the point swing in the colorguard caption. One poster actually does some research (thanks @Chief Guns) and finds that the Devils actually led in that caption most of the season, and the complaining poster immediately shut up about it. 

In the same vein, I think Machina is just trying to provide some perspective and insight so that there is a little less ignorance or misunderstandings regarding judging. 

But yes, no matter what, people will doubt a judge's scores due to person disagreements on what should be rewarded. 

Please do not take this as snarky but just as examples. There is a sentiment aliens are at area 51; there is a sentiment that Oswald did not act alone; but these sentiments do not make them true. And if a judging bias for BD can be shown to be true I will lead the charge to get that judge or judges fired. But until then the sentiments are nothing more than comic relief.

Edited by Stu
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I can't speak for OP's intentions. However, I can speak to what I think his intentions were. 

<snip>

I generally value your opinion, but I really want to read his(hers/theirs) before yours.

I'll now go on and read the rest of your post.

Thank you.

(Everyone's being so NICE in here today!  I love it!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Please do not take this as snarky but just as examples. There is a sentiment aliens are at area 51; there is a sentiment that Oswald did not act alone; but these sentiments do not make them true. And if a judging bias for BD can be shown to be true I will lead the charge to get that judge or judges fired. But until then the sentiments are nothing more than comic relief.

Do you think you're disagreeing with me? I think those sentiments are total ########, but that doesn't mean those sentiments don't exist. 

And that's what OP's post is directed to. It's directed towards the idiots who do hold these sentiments. 

10 minutes ago, garfield said:

You're doing nothing more than describing typical banter by DCPer's!  Why are you using that to create havoc

Didn't know I was creating havoc.  Also, said havoc, possibly existing with and without the DCP realm, seems to have been persistent by typical bantering DCPer's for years.  

Proud of my lurker heritage.  

Also proud of the fact I'm a judge who merely wants to affirm to the public that we have a huge responsibility, there are many internal struggles, and that YOU should consider judging if you aren't already.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

I generally value your opinion, but I really want to read his(hers/theirs) before yours.

I'll now go on and read the rest of your post.

Thank you.

(Everyone's being so NICE in here today!  I love it!)

No problem, I just wanted to throw my two cents in there 

1 minute ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Didn't know I was creating havoc.  Also, said havoc, possibly existing with and without the DCP realm, seems to have been persistent by typical bantering DCPer's for years.  

Proud of my lurker heritage.  

Also proud of the fact I'm a judge who merely wants to affirm to the public that we have a huge responsibility, there are many internal struggles, and that YOU should consider judging if you aren't already.

Yeah.....you don't want me as a judge........

"And in First Place, with a score of 23.875........"

• Haha 2