The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

4 hours ago, gbass598 said:

Yes, I still have the ones back from when I marched and it was printed on paper. I subscribe to the online version but I never read them.

You have a lot of catching up to do, then! Read on, read on! :satisfied:

Don't be like a recently deceased person I know who had over 4 thousand military history books in his house. I stayed there at his place for a band camp, picked 4 definitive books on various subjects and read through them. I told him I'd read them hoping for a serious discussion and he said "Wow, I haven't touched those. Tell me about them.":huh:

I said,

"Dude! You bought the books, they've been sitting for how long and never read them? WHY?"

No answer.

Don't be that way.:satisfied:

10 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

What is sad is the victims, for sure, but also sad for many, it's a gotcha moment for all the frienemies Hop made over the years. Judge the man for the alleged actions and NOT for what he may or may not have done excluding this that many wouldn't or didn't agree with. This is the truth. I have personally heard from so many people who mention the actual allegations (which are horrific) then jump to everything but the seriousness of the actual allegations and the victims. To me, that's as sad as the whole thing.

On the other hand, I think it's possible that the widespread and well-known dislike of Hopkins could have protected him, because people might have brushed off hints of his real crimes as being just one more example of that apparently unfounded dislike.

5 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

It was a break that happened because that's how YEA wanted it, not that there was some kind of faction within the Crossmen that was ready to split from YEA, which would have been impossible given the nature of their association. And honestly (though I don't pretend to know this 100% for sure), I don't think the Cadets could just separate either. YEA is the parent company and owns the Cadets. I can't imagine they would want to sell them. Nor do I think it would make sense for the Cadets to want to be sold...

A lot could happen here. It's hard to say how things will shake out. Saving US Bands is a big deal. If that falls apart then YEA may well be history. The alumni of The Cadets (Garfield/Holy Name) could easily take control of the D&BC and move operations back to New Jersey. Once the BOD is forced to step down, as I believe will happen, the present CEO and Director will need to move with efficiency and speed to put in place new plans for future success -- hopefully with the help of alumni. 

21 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Man, I hope you are wrong. But, I must admit, the damage of all this is only dependent upon how long you want to work, and how deep you want to dig.

The research into D&B abuse of young people beyond YEA/Cadets is already being organized at The Inquirer.

This is good.

What is better is that The Inquirer is owned by the (highest quality) McClatchy chain that has some 30 plus papers like the Miami Herald, Sacramento Bee, Wichita Eagle-Beacon and, like the Knight Ridder chain they acquired, a history and culture of developing writers over decades. Yeah, real adults who can scan a non-profit's annual Forms 990 and understand how to cross reference directors names' to records of civil actions in federal district courts. 

Real adult reporters with kids who can get good and angry at the subjects they discover has been cultivating their organizations as sex slave gardens.

You can smell the napalm on the streets of Indianapolis now.

Ha!

Hahaha!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

BYE! BYE! DCI!  

Edited by Jaffo Nerr
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

On the other hand, I think it's possible that the widespread and well-known dislike of Hopkins could have protected him, because people might have brushed off hints of his real crimes as being just one more example of that apparently unfounded dislike.

Oh for sure

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:
1 hour ago, Liahona said:

Gosh..Are the trying to win a Pulitzer?

Expose the truth 

The answer is both. My thoughts are that the subject more than deserves the rock hard level of journalism that's being done on it. I don't think the writers are deliberately trying to win any prize, it's a corollary derived from the excellent work being done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

thats mostly irrelevant to all this however. He alone put himself in this position of disgrace and shame that he finds himself in.

yes you are right it is irrelevant but as I said Many are putting it all together and for me diminishes the seriousness of this topic. I personally have heard from more than I want to about all this and as I said a second or 2 on the allegations and off to the gotcha ( mostly for other stuff )

3 minutes ago, BigW said:

The answer is both. My thoughts are that the subject more than deserves the rock hard level of journalism that's being done on it. I don't think the writers are deliberately trying to win any prize, it's a corollary derived from the excellent work being done.

This could have many legs for sure but in today's world and news cycles, let's see what happens. This of course for local  news has some longevity, nationally ( and there has been some ) often I forget what was in the news Monday by Thurs. Crazy world

12 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

yes you are right it is irrelevant but as I said Many are putting it all together and for me diminishes the seriousness of this topic. I personally have heard from more than I want to about all this and as I said a second or 2 on the allegations and off to the gotcha ( mostly for other stuff )

Yes, people should remain focused on the victims and the decades of alleged sexual abuse, rape, etc here by this guy,... and not as you have brought up, the " gotcha " moments that some might be feeling now re. a guy they have not liked for years, but for different reasons.  All that is irrelevant at the moment.  When we read the 100 plus pages of commentary on this thread, 99% of it is on the victims and what this guy and YEA did, did not do, ( and a little on the role DCI has or does not have in all this )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Well.... people are now asking me at work about it knowing my status as el bando/corpso geeko supremo. It's made the NPR affiliate, etc. All I can tell them is that yeah, this guy has been a controversial figure I've never been really fond of, I knew someone he approached that isn't one of the nine made public, I'm not surprised, and I expect that the activity will dig in and clean house of any other skunks like this.

• Like 2