The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

It is a unique experience like all those other activities are unique, however, real life happens and drumcorps is just a subset of real life. So we need to address it and protect ALL involved. We need to have and implement best practices and training to everyone. If people are not sure what to do, they often do nothing. We need to support the victims and go after the predators. We don't need to throw away the baby with the bathwater.  That is incorrect logic. 

Cadets should probably hire a Sexual Assault and Prevention Response Advocate...someone who's completely separate from the day-to-day activities of running a corps and who's primary job is to deliver training on preventing/reporting sexual assaults; to ensure a victim has someone to whom he/she can report and confide should they have to deal with this.

Edited by 2000Cadet

3 hours ago, year1buick said:

I thought the same thing when I looked at an old thread discussing an email Hopkins sent out an emailadvertising for a new accounting position and his displeasure that the woman left without notice. (From the email quoted in the OP: “there is no accounting for the logic and action of a 25 year old.”) It was mentioned in the thread that it was possibly due to a family emergency but now it’s hard not to wonder if it this could’ve played a part. (Pure conjecture, of course.) Hopkins replied to the thread, actually— reading it now is nausea inducing. (I’ll find it in a sec...)

I know that young lady. It wasn’t due to this. I fed the info to Tristan and it was family related. She needed to travel overseas to family. He didn’t care, tour was starting. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I heard that the media has planted themselves in front of his building.

3 tv vans yesterday. 2 local and one affiliate from philly of ABC. Apparently also got coverage on ABC

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I heard he's not even there.

Might be in my zip code

36 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

YES he was overpaid 

what kind of question is that?

he drove off talent, allegedly attacked and harassed members, minors and staff and he was a terrible administrator, plus the narcissistic qualities - geez. Hoptalk aka bloviating 

Without Zingali and a few others with actual talent early on... no one would even know his name imo 

Whew. 

Harsh. 

I do recognize the monster leaders around him. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I know that young lady. It wasn’t due to this. I fed the info to Tristan and it was family related. She needed to travel overseas to family. He didn’t care, tour was starting. 

I’m glad it wasn’t a harassment issue, at least, but that still sounds pretty crappy. I think there’s going to be a lot of scrutiny looking back on similar situations, though. (Of which, it appears there are many.)

3 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

I was thinking about this today. I say yes... separate the performing ensembles from the parent organization.  I wonder if the Dance Troop, Cadets 2, Indoor Cadets will be picked up by other parent organizations in PA.  Or anywhere else across the country.  Back to Bergen County? 

Not under the YEA name. That name left residual damage that caused the move to Allentown 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, garfield said:

Those participating on this thread have done a masterful job of containing emotion and not letting conversations become abusive or derailed.

You threaten that.  You're likely going to be reported and banned, ending your efforts to be controversial. 

You'd do well to back off your snark and tone down your rhetoric.

Otherwise, maybe the Facebook DCP is a better platform for your "campaign".

Hit report

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

The fact that every one of these abused people didn't think they could go get any other member or instructor and deal justice to Hopkins is all you need to know. Every one of them should have marched in confidence they'd never have to accept abuse and that every member, alum and instructor would be behind them to respond appropriately if they were abused. No response = permission. That is what I mean by these monsters are made.

You have no ####### clue. None. They felt powerless, alone, vulnerable. Who’s believe them against an icon in the activity warts and all? It’s only been in the last 8 years victims truly started to feel like they would be heard and taken seriously. 

I have two remaining words words for you:

bye felicia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Yes and I hate it. Drum corps is not supposed to be like normal life and everyone is cynical and why trust or ask for help, the whole world sucks, give up and accept rape as normal, etc.

Everyone here goes on and on and on about the unique experience and blah blah blah but when nudge comes to rape it's just like everything else, even sports.

You are angry and wrong. 

• Thanks 3