The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think we're close but not quite on the same page: the article is not clear about methods, but I don't believe Acheson can decide by himself to expel a member corps. I think that would require a vote of the DCI board or full membership.

And let's be clear that Acheson is not quoted as using the phrase "dismissal from DCI membership". He probably said something similar, but the article does not give that as an exact quotation.

Still, our interpretations are similar.

Of course it would require a vote of the membership, especially now.

But there ARE checklists to follow for lots of requirements in order to join the tour.

Just not for things that Brasso says there SHOULD be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Sorry, but I do think it's a point worth understanding.

And I don't really care about winning against Brasso; there are lots of chances to do that with much less-important issues than this one.

Maintaining a correct characterization of what DCI was compelled to do in situation is critical.  Otherwise, we're speculating and inflaming unnecessarily.

22 minutes ago, garfield said:

.  You still aren't getting it.

Dan IS taking it seriously.  DCI DOES have the power to expel corps that don't follow DCI policy.  An option IS dismissal from DCI membership if corps don't follow policy.  Gosh NONE of these is in contention, is that clear?

Well, it seemed we ran the horse around the track till it dropped dead today... lol!.., before you finally came around to the conclusion that DCI has the authority to suspend and even expel a Corps from membership if it fails to comply with DCI reporting policies. It was like pulling teeth, garfield, but you came a long way from earlier this weekend when you posted that DCI has little to no authority over member Corps. even this morning, you stated above ( still there ) that all of Dan's comments were confined today what he could do with your words (" DCI employees" ) and not additionally what Dan Acheson believed he had in authority with corps in non compliance with reporting policies, particularly as it relates to allegations of sexual abuse, and non reporting, non compliance of such with his office.. You got there garfield to this understanding now, tonite, but it appears that it just took a circuitous route for to get there it appears, thats all. But you came around now to fully understanding what Dean Acheson reportedly told the reporter today, and what the reporter wrote in the article, and so you have arrived at what appears to be a full understanding of what Dan Acheson actually said to the reporter in its totality in the the article, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Well, it seemed we ran the horse around the track till it dropped dead today... lol!.., before you finally came around to the conclusion that DCI has the authority to suspend and even expel a Corps from membership if it fails to comply with DCI reporting policies. It was like pulling teeth, garfieeld, but you came a long way from earlier this weekend when you posted that DCI has little to no authority over member Corps. even this morning, you stated above ( still there ) that all of Dan's comments were confined to what he could do with ( DCI employees ) and not what Dan Acheson believed he had in authority ewith corps in non compliance with reporting policies, particulatrly as it relates to allegations of sexual abuse. You got there garfield to this understanding now, tonite, but it appears that it just took a circuitous route for to get there it appears, thats all. But you came around now to fully understanding what Dean Acheson reportedly told the reporter today, and what the reporter wrote in the article.

Just show me the policy and protocol, my friend.  Show me the policy.

I gave in to your above long ago.  You're still not getting it.

DCI's central harassment policy for corps...find it for me.  Heck, find a reference to it!

You won't.  You can't.  It ain't there (yet).

You can squirm like a June night-crawler and you'll not find it, because it doesn't exist.

There are expectations to have a harassment policies; there is not a single activity-wide harassment policy on which DCI can expel corps for failing to follow.

Period, and goodnight.

I think it would be interesting to see timelines of when these policies were created for each of the corps that has them as well as the home office.

Many people have stated something along the lines of, "I'm surprised it is just now coming to light."  I wonder how many policies were in place before 2017.

I've worked with local high school drum lines for a few years now.  I had to pass background checks, and sign a form each year understanding the rules.  In this school district there is also mandatory reporting.   Of course, this is more developed in academic institutions because there have been so many previous incidents.  It really tears up the programs for a while.

I do remember thinking, "I wonder if they do this in drum corps these days."

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, garfield said:

Just show me the policy and protocol, my friend.  Show me the policy.

.  You're still not getting it.

DCI's central harassment policy for corps...find it for me.  Heck, find a reference to it!

You won't.  You can't.  It ain't there (yet).

None of this however has anything at all to do with todays article, nor what Dean Acheson said, nor what the reporter, reported, nor what I commented on today garfield. You seem interested in a pizzing match with me ( you criticised me this morning claiming ( your words )" my comprehension levels " were somehow subpar because apparently I did not read and interpret the remarks from Dan accurately. The focus was my defense that I read it and interpreted those remarks from Dan Acheson accurately ( readers can decide for themselves ). I have no idea why you came on DCP to state my comprehension levels did not allow me to understand this written article appropriately, and Dean Acheson's comments to the reporter, as well as you did. But I think that I was able to read what was reported and understand what he told the reporter from the Indy Star pretty darn well. So i'm not really interested in finding you anything now that seems wholly unrelated to the  today's article we are discussing, nor unrelated to what Dean Acheson actually said in the article today.  So I guess thats that, my friend.

Edited by BRASSO

If one lawsuit goes forward, you can bet that the Cadets and Yea! will be named in it and will need to hire a defense team. It is at this point they will exhaust their funds (even without a ruling against them) unless a super-wealthy alum steps in or they raise souvie prices (care for a $900 shirt?)... if they exist at all it will be in "Holy Name" only, dba "The Cadebts."  I hope this doesn't happen, but looking at the litigious world around us, it seems plausible.

46 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nope, not banned; I just decided that I had better things to do with my time after some posters were defending the Cadets hiring a known offender and also stating that DCI had no business telling the Cadets what to do.  The only reason I perused through this thread was that someone informed me about the nature of the thread content.  And the only reason I am posting now is to respond to a direct question concerning if I was banned.  I find it odd, though, that some of those very posters who defended the Cadets then, and saying DCI should stay out of it then, are now advocating the opposite.

Welcome back... even if briefly!!!

Some day, I need to follow your lead and not be here for a while. No objections to any particular post, poster,  or thread... just spending too much time here.

Like the time I just took to write this, I guess.  LOL.

13 minutes ago, c mor said:

I think it would be interesting to see timelines of when these policies were created for each of the corps that has them as well as the home office.

Many people have stated something along the lines of, "I'm surprised it is just now coming to light."  I wonder how many policies were in place before 2017.

I've worked with local high school drum lines for a few years now.  I had to pass background checks, and sign a form each year understanding the rules.  In this school district there is also mandatory reporting.   Of course, this is more developed in academic institutions because there have been so many previous incidents.  It really tears up the programs for a while.

I do remember thinking, "I wonder if they do this in drum corps these days."

PA started mandatory reporting for  teachers after Penn State fiasco as per my grade school teacher in law. Question: you mentioned background checks but how is reporting covered? Are staff and students told how to report and who to report to if anything questionable is seen? More I read the more I’m worried that background checks alone is seen as a end all fix to the problem. 

Oh boy just found out there is Prevention of Sexual Assault training for 2018 this month at work. How to look for signs, how to report and what will happen to your sorry butt if you know but ignore

Edited by JimF-LowBari

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

PA started mandatory reporting for  teachers after Penn State fiasco as per my grade school teacher in law. Question: you mentioned background checks but how is reporting covered? Are staff and students told how to report and who to report to if anything questionable is seen? More I read the more I’m worried that background checks alone is seen as a end all fix to the problem. 

Oh boy just found out there is Prevention of Sexual Assault training for 2018 this month at work. How to look for signs, how to report and what will happen to your sorry butt if you know but ignore

They run fingerprints so it would not work for those who leave discreetly.  Reporting is just up the chain of command, or around it if needed.

If DCI wants to know the truth, they'll install a whistleblower contact phone/email.

• Thanks 2